CONSISE SYNTHESIS AND POTENTIAL ANTI-ANGIOGENIC ACTIVITY OF N-1 SUBSTITUTED INDOLYLCHALCONE HYBRIDS ON CHORIOALLANTOIC MEMBRANE (CAM) ASSAY
Keywords:Angiogenesis, Indole chalcone, CAM assay
Objective: Synthesis of N-1 Substituted Indolylchalcone Hybrids and evaluation of anti-angiogenic activity using Chorioallantoic Membrane (CAM) Assay.
Methods: Claisen-schmidt reaction is used for the synthesis of 30 Indolylchalcone hybrids, it involves condensation of N-1 substituted indole-3-carboxaldehyde and N1 substituted 2-acetyl-benzimidazole. The phase transfer catalyst, a green catalyst such as anhydrous potassium carbonate (K2CO3) and PEG-400 are used in the alkylation and arylation. All synthesized indolylchalcone hybrids were evaluated for their antiangiogenic activity by in vivo-chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) assay method.
Results: The synthesized indolylchalcone compounds are evaluated. The morphometric study was carried out as described by Melkonian et al. (2002). The Compounds with code C-2, I-1, I-2 are showing the more potent effect on the dose-dependent assay of CAM. The compounds with code C-1, C-3, E-1 to E-3, M-1 and M-5 shows the significant activity, however, though the compounds with code B-1, B-2, CL-1 and A-5 were showing antiangiogenic effect at 0.1 µM, but does not show any significant activity on dose-dependent assay of CAM.
Conclusion: The synthesized Indolylchalcones as shown in the graph possess very good dose-dependent anti-angiogenic activities. The potency of anti-angiogenetic activity shows that methyl>Ethyl>Cl-benzyl>Benzyl>Isobutyl. 2-acetyl benzimidazole analogs have possible future scope to develop as potent angiogenesis inhibitors.
2. Huang L, Shih M, Chen H. Synthesis of N2-(substituted benzyl)-3-(4-methylphenyl)indazoles as novel anti-angiogenic agents. Bioorganic Med Chem 2006;14:528–36.
3. Nagaraju G, Zhu S, Ko J. Antiangiogenic effects of a novel synthetic curcumin analogue in pancreatic cancer. Cancer Lett 2015;357:557–65.
4. Oklu R, Walker T, Wicky S, Hesketh R. Angiogenesis and current antiangiogenic strategies for the treatment of cancer. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2010;21:1791–805.
5. Wen Hui Yang, Jun Xu, Jian Bing Mu, Jun Xie. Revision of the concept of anti-angiogenesis and its applications in tumor treatment. Chronic Diseases Translational Med 2017;3:33-40.
6. Tahergorabi Z, Khazaei M. A review on angiogenesis and its assays. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2012;15:1110–26.
7. Gotink K, Verheul H. Anti-angiogenic tyrosine kinase inhibitors: what is their mechanism of action. Angiogenesis 2010;13:1–14.
8. Saraswati S, Agrawal S. Brucine, an indole alkaloid from strychnos nux-vomica, attenuates VEGF-induced angiogenesis via inhibiting VEGFR2 signaling pathway in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Lett 2013;332:83–93.
9. Lee H, Banskota S, Kim D, Been J, Jin Y, Gautam J, et al. Synthesis and antiangiogenic activity of 6-amido-2,4,5-trimethylpyridin-3-ols. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2014;24:3131–6.
10. He H, Wang X, Shi L, Yin W, Yang Z, Liang Y. Synthesis, antitumor activity and mechanism of action of novel 1,3-thiazole derivatives containing hydrazide-hydrazone and carboxamide moiety. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2016;14:3263-70.
11. Christodoulou M, Liekens S, Kasiotis K, Haroutounian S. Novel pyrazole derivatives: synthesis and evaluation of anti-angiogenic activity. Bioorg Med Chem 2010;18:4338–50.
12. Roopashree R, Mohan C, Swaroop T, Jagadish S, Rangappa K. Synthesis, characterization, and in vivo biological evaluation of novel benzimidazoles as potential anticancer agents. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:309–13.
13. Nagarajan S, Majumder S, Sharma U, Rajendran S, Kumar N, Chatterjee S, et al. Synthesis and anti-angiogenic activity of benzothiazole, benzimidazole containing phthalimide derivatives. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2013;23:287–90.
14. Kumar D, Kumar N, Akamatsu K, Kusaka E, Harada H, Ito T. Synthesis and biological evaluation of indolyl chalcones as antitumor agents. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2010;20:3916–9.
15. Kumar D, Maruthi Kumar N, Tantak M, Ogura M, Kusaka E, Ito T. Synthesis and identification of ?-cyano bis(indolyl)chalcones as novel anticancer agents. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2014;24:5170–4.
16. Shi J, Xiao Z, Ihnat M, Kamat C, Pandit B, Hu Z, et al. Structure-activity relationships studies of the anti-angiogenic activities of linomide. Bioorganic Med Chem Lett 2003;13:1187–9.
17. Melkonian G, Munoz N, Chung J, Tong C, Marr R, Talbot P. Capillary plexus development in the day five to day six chick chorioallantoic membrane is inhibited by cytochalasin D and suramin. J Exp Zool 2002;292:241–54.
18. Pandit R, Anil A, Lali A, Indap M. Evaluation of antiangiogenic activity through tubulin interaction of chloroform fraction of the feather star, Lamprometra palmata palmata. Indian J Mar Sci 2009;38:28–37.