A STUDY ON DRUG-DRUG INTERACTION BETWEEN GLIPIZIDE AND CIMETIDINE IN RABBITS
Objective: To study the effect of Cimetidine (H2 receptor antagonist) in combination with Glipizide (Sulfonylurea) on the blood sugar level in rabbits.
Methods: Six albino rabbits were taken for the study. Glipizide was administrated to each rabbit as a single drug therapy on day 1 and it was co-administrated with Cimetidine to each rabbit as a combinational drug therapy on day 7. Cimetidine was administrated to each rabbit from day 2 to day 6 as single drug therapy. Blood sugar levels were estimated on day 1 and on day 7 at 0, 1, 2, 4, and 6 h.
Results: The mean blood sugar level readings at 0, 1, 2, 4 and 6 h on day 1 were 90.4, 69.4, 62.9 and 65.7 mg% and on day 7 were 89.4, 74.8, 65.5, 56.4 and 61.2 mg % respectively. When mean blood sugar level on day 1 and day 7 was considered, there was a significant reduction in blood sugar level at 1, 2, 4 and 6 h and there was no significant fall in blood sugar level at 0 hour after co-administration of Glipizide and Cimetidine.
Conclusion: Cimetidine, when co-administered with Glipizide, significantly increases the hypoglycaemic action of Glipizide.
2. Kubacka KJ, Antal AL, Juhl RP. Paradoxical effects of cimetidine and ranitidine on glibenclamide pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1987;23:743-51.
3. Davis SN, Granner DK. Insulin, oral hypoglycaemic agents and pharmacology of endocrine pancreas. In: Hardman JG, Limbird LE, Gilman AG. editors. Goodman and Gilman’s the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 9th ed. NewYork: Megraw-Hill; 1996. p. 901-15.
4. Lin JH, Chremos AN, Chiou R, Yeh KG, William R. Comparative effect of ranitidine and cimetidine on pharmacokinetics of theophylline in normal volunteers. BJCP 1987;24:669-72.
5. Vestel RF, Thummel KE, Murrer B. Cimetidine inhibit theophylline clearance in COPD. BJCP 1983;15:411-8.
6. Hetzel DJ, Bochner F, Hallpike JF, Shearman DJC, Hann CS. Cimetidine interaction with phenytoin. Br Med J 1981;282:1512.
7. Hetzel DJ, Binkette D, Miners J. Cimetidine interaction with warfarin. Lancet 1979;314:317-9.
8. Dhaneshwar Shep, Rohan S Phatak, Narendersingh Sidhu, Prakashchandra Gade. Comparative effects of cimetidine on hypoglycaemic activity of glibenclamide in rabbits. Pravara Med Rev 2019;11:5–8.
9. Ghosh. Fundamental of experimental pharmacology. Edition-II; 2008. p. 154-5.
10. Feely JW, Collins WCJ, Cullen M, Pedden NP. Potentiation of the hypoglycaemic response to glipizide in diabetic patients by H2 receptor antagonist. BJCP 1993;35:321-3.
11. Melander A, Bitzen PO, Faber O, Groop L. Sulphonylurea antidiabetic drugs. Drugs 1989;37:58-72.
12. Knodell RG, Holtzman JL, Crankshaw DL, Stede NM, Stanley LN. Drug metabolism by rat and human hepatic microsomes in response to interaction with H2 receptor antagonists. Gasteroentrology 1982;82:84-8.
13. Heagerty AM, Donovan MA, Patel L. The influence of H2 receptor antagonist on propranolol pharmacokinetics. Int J Clin Pharm Pes 1982;2:203-5.
14. Feely J Wilkinson GB, Mc Allister CB. Increased toxicity and reduced clearance of lidocaine by cimetidine. Ann Intern Med 1982;96:592-4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.