EVALUATION OF NON-ADHERENCE TO ANTITUBERCULAR DRUGS AMONG TUBERCULOSIS PATIENTS: A PROSPECTIVE STUDY

  • SUMAN LATA Demonstrator Department of Pharmacology, Government Medical College Kathua, (UT J and K), 184101
  • VIJAY KHAJURIA Department of Pharmacology, Government Medical College Kathua, (UT J and K), 184101
  • VINEETA SAWHNEY Department of Pharmacology, Government Medical College Kathua, (UT J and K), 184101
  • KAMLESH KUMARI MBBS, Medical Officer in District Tuberculosis Centre Kathua (J and K), 184101

Abstract

Objective: The objective of present study was to examine the non-adherence among tuberculosis patients to antitubercular drugs and the factors associated with non-adherence.


Methods: Prospective observational study was conducted in department of pharmacology Government Medical College, Kathua in collaboration with the district tuberculosis centre, Kathua for a period of four months. TB Patients on treatment for last 8 w were included in the study. The pre validated questionnaire was provided to patients and their responses were analysed. Morisky’s Medication Adherence Scale (MMAS-4) was used to assess adherence/non-adherence to antitubercular drugs.


Results: Total 72 patients were included in trial and out of which 60(83.33%) were males and12 (16.66%) were females and the maximum were between 40-50y (38%) of age, mostly illiterate (50%) and from lower socioeconomic status (38%). Out of 60 male patients, 48(80%) showed adherence to anti-tuberculosis drugs, while remaining 12(20%) were non-adherent. Whereas 10females (83%) were adherent and 2 (16.66%) were non-adherent. Forgetfulness (42%), followed by illiteracy (21.4%) and longer distance from health institute (14%) were main reasons for non-adherence.


Conclusion: Present study has shown non-adherence is maximum among males, illiterate, low socioeconomic group, longer distance from the health institution.

Keywords: Anti tubercular therapy, Adherence, Non-adherence

References

1. WHO. WHO global Tuberculosis Report, WHO Press: Geneva, Switzerland; 2016.
2. Ch K. Factor affecting compliance to tuberculosis treatment in Andra Kanvango region in Nambia. Journal of compliance to TB treatment; 2010.
3. Hawn TR, Day TA, Scriba TJ, Hatherill M, Hanekom WA, Evans TG, et al. Tuberculosis vaccines and prevention of infection. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2014;78:650–71.
4. Organization, World Health. Implementing the WHO Stop TB Strategy: a handbook for national TB control programmes; 2008. p. 179.
5. Harris RE. Epidemiology of chronic disease: global perspectives. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning; 2013. p. 682.
6. WHO treatment of tuberculosis guidelines. In: 4th edition ed: world health organization; 2010.
7. World health organisation, global tuberculosis control. Surveillance, Planning, Financing. 170, Geneva; 2004.
8. Tahao Glu K, Torun T, Sevim T, Atac G, Kir A, Karasulu L, Kapakli N. The treatment of multidrug resistant tuberculosis in turkey. N Engl J Med 2001;345:170-4.
9. McDonnell M, Turner J, Weaver MT. Anticedents of adherence to antituberculosis therapy. Public Health Nurse 2001;18:392-400.
10. Menzies R, Rocher I, Vissandjee B. Factors associated with compliance in treatment of tuberculosis. Tuber Lung Dis 1993;74:32-7.
11. Morisky DE, Green LW, Levine DM. Concurrent and predictive validity of a self-reported measure of medication adherence. Med Care 1986;24:67-74.
12. Santra G. Assessment of adherence to cardiovascular medicines in rural population: an observational study in patients attending a tertiary care hospital; Indian J Pharmacol 2015;47:600-4.
13. Geethalakshmi RG, Dsouza MJ Ashok. Adherence to non tuberculosis treatment among patients in urban field practice area of Medical College, Devangere, Karnataka, a qualitative study. Int J Community Med Public Health 2019;6:255-8.
14. A Aashutosh, N Shubhangi, I Manouj. A study on factors associated with non adherence to ATT among pulmonary tuberculosis patients under RNTCP. Int J Med Sci Clin Intervention 2017;4:2759-63.
15. G Harshul, P Goeka, S Esha, S Hrvy, D Harmony, P Harsh. Across sectional study to assess the non adherence to anti tuberculosis treatment and determinant factors among patients with pulmonary tuberculosis. GCSMC J Med Sci 2017;VI:22-6.
16. Hanumaiah V, Ranganath DD, Kakkuppi N. Assessment of adherence to antituberculosis medication for successful implementation of revised national tuberculosis programme at a tertiary care hospital. Shimoga: a cross section observational study. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2019;8:2361-6.
Statistics
31 Views | 43 Downloads
Citations
How to Cite
LATA, S., V. KHAJURIA, V. SAWHNEY, and K. KUMARI. “EVALUATION OF NON-ADHERENCE TO ANTITUBERCULAR DRUGS AMONG TUBERCULOSIS PATIENTS: A PROSPECTIVE STUDY”. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research, Vol. 13, no. 2, Mar. 2021, pp. 26-28, doi:10.22159/ijcpr.2021v13i2.41550.
Section
Original Article(s)