ISOLATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF SECONDARY METABOLITE FROM HABENARIA INTERMEDIA D. DON FOR SCREENING OF HEPATOPROTECITVE POTENTIAL AGAINST CARBON TETRACHLORIDE INDUCED TOXICITY IN ALBINO RAT LIVER
The purpose of the study was to isolate the coumarin glycoside constituent from the ethyl acetate fraction of tubers of Habenaria intermedia D. Don by column chromatography using the gradient elution technique. The isolated coumarin glycoside was characterized by spectral studies and screened for hepatoprotecitve potential on CCl4 induced toxicity in rat liver. The coumarin glycoside (Scopoletin) protective activity was evaluated by the assay of liver function biochemical parameters such as SGOT, SGPT, Bilirubin, total protein and histopathological studies of the liver. Results showed that the toxic effect of CCl4 was controlled significantly by restoration of the levels of serum bilirubin, proteins and enzymes as compared to the normal and standard drug Silymarin treated groups. Histology of the liver sections of the rats treated with isolated coumarin glycoside showed the presence of normal hepatic cords, absence of necrosis and fatty infiltration, which further substantiated hepatoprotecitve activity. Therefore, outcome of the present study ascertains that the isolated coumarin glycoside possesses significant hepatoprotecitve activity.Keywords: Habenaria intermedia, Scopoletin, Hepatoprotecitve, CCl4, Silymarin.
2. Lozoya M, Lozoya X. Pharmacological properties in vitro of various extracts Mimosa pudica. Tepescochuite Arch Invest Mex 1989;87-93.
3. Karthikeyan A, Shanthi V, Nagasathya A. Preliminary phytochemical and antibacterial screening of crude extract of leaf of Adatoda vasica. Int J Green Pharm 2009;3:78-80.
4. Rowat AK, Mehrotra S, Tripati SC, Shome U. Hepatoprotecitve activity of Boerhaevia diffusa roots a popular Indian ethno medicine. J Ethonopharmcol 1997;56:61-6.
5. Frederick OO, Ighofimoni AU, Julie OO. Prevention of Carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in the rat by Hibiscus rosasinensis anthocyanin extract administered in ethnology. J Toxicol 1998;131:93-8.
6. Sane RT, Kuber VV, Mary Menon S. Hepatoprotection by Phyllanthus amarus and Phyllanthus debelis in CCl4 induced liver dysfunction. Curr Sci 1995;68:1243-6.
7. Sharma SK, Ali M, Gupta J. Medicinal plants with hepatoprotecitve activities. Photochem Pharmacol 2002;2:253-70.
8. Arshad Ali, Noorani N. Potent herbal hepatoprotecitve activity â€“ A review. J Sci Speculations Res 2010;1(1):25-9.
9. Mahesh Anand Goudar, Jayadevappa H, Mahadevan KM, Shasthry RA, Sayeswara HA. Hepatoprotecitve potential of tubers Habenaria intermedia D. Don against Carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic damage in rats. Int J Curr Res 2014;6(11):10090-97.
10. Lee KJ, Wodo R, Choic CR. Protective effects of Acetoside on CCl4 induced hepatotoxicity. Life Sci 2004;74:1051-6.
11. Majumdar AB, Anuradha S, Upadhya Pradhan. Effect of Azdirachta india leaf extract on CCl4 induced hepatic damage in Albino rats. An Indian Pharm Sci 1998;60:363-8.
12. Rege N Dahanukar. Hepatoprotecitve effects of Tinispora. Indian Drugs 1984;21:544-8.
13. Rietman. Colorimetric method for determination of SGOT and SGPT. Am J Clin Pathol 1957;28(1):56-63.
14. King EJ. A method for determination of tartarate labile prostatic acid. Am J Clin Pathol 1959;12:85.
15. Jendrassik FL, Grof P. Manual of medical lab techniques. Biochem 1938;81:297-301.
16. Galigher AE. Querctive treated ups showed significant protection against CCl4 induced liver toxicity. India Drugs Philadelphia 1971;18:77-80.
17. Dunnet CW. New tablets for multiple comparisons with a control. Biometrics 1964;20:482-91.
18. Ambay RY, Vanmala SJ. Overview of Hepatitis. Indian Drugs 2002;1:39-45.
19. Turner RA. Screening Methods in Pharmacology, Academic Press, New York; 1965. p. 103-14.
20. Farber JL, Samir K. The Biochemical and pathology of liver. Am J Pathol 1975;81(1):237.
21. Chaudan CK, Nanewadekar SA, Billimoria FR. Effect of a herbal hepatoprotecitve product on drug metabolism in patients of cirrhosis and hepatic enzyme function in experimental liver damage. Indian J Pharmacol 1992;24:107-10.