DESIGN AND IN VITRO EVALUATION OF ORALLY DISINTEGRATINGTABLETS OF SELEGILINE
Objective: The purpose of presenting research work to formulate oral disintegrating tablets of Selegiline to enhance therapeutic efficacy.
Methods: An attempt has been made to develop and evaluate Orally Disintegrating or Mouth Dissolving tablets of Selegiline for quick effect, better patient compliance and effective therapy. Fast dissolving tablets of Selegiline were prepared by direct compression technique using selected super disintegrants.
Results: The FTIR spectra revealed that, there was no interaction of drug with formulation ingredients. The prepared tablets were evaluated for drug content, friability, hardness, In vitro disintegration and In vitro release studies. All the tablets with different super disintegrants showed better results. However, required disintegration and dissolution behavior of Selegiline was achieved for tablets with Crospovidone (20%) as super disintegrant.
Conclusion: From experimental studies it is concluded that fast dissolving drug delivery systems can be a suitable approach to improve onset of action for getting instantaneous therapeutic response.
2. Health. Indian Epilepsy Association, Bangalore. Myths and Facts about Epilepsy. The New Indian Express 2006;21;1.
3. Tarique Khan, Sayyed Nazim, Siraj Shaikh, Afsar Shaikh, Ashish Khairnar, Aejaz Ahmed. An approach for rapid disintegrating tablet. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2011;3(3):21.
4. Stosik AG, Junginer HE, Kopp S, Midha KK, Shah VP, Stavchansky S, et al. Biowaiver monographs for immediate release solid oral dosage forms: metoclopramide hydrochloride. J Pharm Sci 2008;97:3700â€“8.
5. Reeta Rani Thakur, Mridul Kashi. An unlimited scope for novel formulations as orally disintegrating systems: Present and future prospects. J Appl Pharm Sci 2011;01(01):13-9.
6. Mahadevappa VR, Basawaraj B, Appala Raju, Raghunandan D, Swamy PV. Formulation design of rapidly disintegrating Phenobarbitone. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2010;1(4):62-8.
7. Margret Chandira R, Jaykar B, Chakrabarty BL. Formulation and evaluation of Orodispersible tablets of terbutaline sulphate. Drug Invention Today 2010;2(1):31-3.
8. Gopal Satishkumar Gandhi, Dharmendra R, Mundhada, Shyamala Bhaskaran. Levocetirizine orodispersible tablet by direct compression method. J Appl Pharm Sci 2011;01(05):145-50.