SYNTHETIC AND ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY OF 4 THIAZOLIDINONES
Objective: Thiazolidinone, a saturated form of thiazole with carbonyl group on the fourth carbon, has been considered as magic moieties (Wonder nucleus) which possess almost all types of biological activities. This diversity in the biological response profile has attracted the attention of many researchers to explore this skeleton to its multiple potential against several activities
Methods: Looking to the importance of N and S hetero cycles in the medical field, 4-thiazolidinone derivatives (3b,4b) have been synthesized by cyclization of substituted imines(1a,2a) with mercaptoacetic acid in presence of anhydrous ZnCl2 as a catalyst in DMF. The 4-thiazolidinone derivatives have also been tested against two bacterial strains viz. S. aureus and E. coli and two fungal pathogens viz. A. niger and C. albicans using Kirby-Bauer method.
Result: New series of azomethines and 4 thiazolidinones compounds have been prepared. The synthesized compounds were characterized on the basis of IR, 1H-NMR, and elemental analysis. The purity of the compounds was checked using pre coated TLC plates (MERCK) using n-hexane: ethyl acetate (8:2) solvent system. The synthesized compounds show good antimicrobial acivity.
Conclusion: The zone of inhibition is directly proportional to the degree of sensitivity of the bacterial, fungal strain and concentration of compound under test. A systematic perusal data of antimicrobial activity reveals that, with the increase in concentration of drug, increase in zone of inhibition occur in petridish. Better antimicrobial activity have been pointed out in synthesized compounds.
2. Gangadasu B, Narender P, Raju BC, Rao VJ. Base induced Carbonâ€“Nitrogen (C=N) double bond migration in schiff bases. Indian J Chem 2005;44(B):2598-600.
3. Parekh J, Inamdhar P, Nair R, Baluja S, Chandra S. Synthesis and antimicrobial activities of some novel schiff bases of 5 substituted isatin derivatives. J Serb Chem Soc 2005;70:1155-61.
4. Devi TP, Singh RKH. Complexes of nickel II with the schif bases derived from condensation of Salicylaldehyde and Bis-Ni(AMUH)2Cl2. Rasayan J Chem 2010;3:266-70.
5. Nair R, Shah A, Baluja S, Chandra S. Synthesis 7 antibacterial activities of some schiff base complex. J Serb Chem Soc 2006;71:733-44.
6. Iqbal A, Siddiqui HL, Ashraf CM, Ahmad M, Weaver GW. Synthesis, Characterization and antibacterial activities of azomethine derivatives derived from 2-Formylphenoxyacetic acid. Molecules 2007;12:245-25.
7. Khan J, Rehman W, Muhammad B, Danish Muhammad, Mahmood Q, Bukhari N. Biologically active organotin IV complexes of schiff bases derived from indoline 2,3 dione and 2 amino benzoic acid. World Appl Sci J 2009;6:1563-8.
8. Jamila K, Wajid R, Bakhtiar M, Danish M. Biologically active organotin IV schiff bases complex. J Iran Chem Soc 2010;7:495-9.
9. Prakas CR, Raja Selvam TP, Saravanam G, Karthick V, Kumar PD. Synthesis and antimicrobial activities of some novel schiff bases of 5 substituted Isatin derivatives. Rasayan J Chem 2009;2:960-8.
10. Ferreira MDL, Vasconcelos TRA, Carvalho EMD, Lourenco MCS, Wardell JL, Ferreira VF, et al. Synthesis and antitubercular activity of novel schiff bases derived from D-Mannitol. Carbohydr Res 2009;344:2042-7.
11. Sondhi SM, Kinodia M, Jain S, Kumar A. Synthesis of biologically active novel bis schiff bases, Bis hydrazine and bis gunidine derivatives. Indian J Chem 2009;48(B):1128-36.
12. Vazzana I, Terranova E, Mattioli F, Sparatore F. Aromatic schiff bases and 2,3 disubstituted 1,3 thiazolidin-4-one derivatives as antiinflammotory agents. ARKIVOC 2004;5:364-74.
13. Bairagi S, Bhosale A, Deodhar Meenakshi N. Design, Synthesis and evaluation of schiff bases of 4 chloro 3 coumarin aldehyde as antimicrobial agents. E J Chem 2009;6:759-62.
14. Kumar S, Dhar DN, Saxena PN. Synthesis, Characterization and antimicrobial properties of schiff bases derived from condensation of 8-formyl 7-hydroxy-4-methyl coumarin and substituted triazole derivatives. J Sci Ind Res 2009;68:181-7.
15. Ravichandran V, Mohan S, Kumar KS. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of mannich bases of isatin and its derivatives with2-[(2,6 dichlorophenyl)amino] phenyl acetic acid. ARKIVOC 2007;14:51-7.
16. Satyanarayana VSV, Sreevani P, Sivakumar A, Vijayakumar V. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity ofnew schiff bases containing coumarinmoeity and their spectral characterization. ARKIVOC 2008;17:221-33.
17. Jarrahpour A, Khalili D. Synthesis, Antibacterial, Antifungal and antiviral activity evaluation. Molecules 2006;11:59-63.
18. Valentina P, Ilango K, Deepthi M, Harusha P, Pavani G, Sindhura KL, et al. Antioxidant activity of some substituted 1,2,4â€“triazo-5-thion schiff bases. J Pharm Sci Res 2009;1:74-7.
19. Ocal N, Yolacan C, Kaban S, Leonor Y, Vargas M, Kouznetsov VJ. Transformations of schiff bases derived from quinoline-8-carbaldehyde. Synthesis of C-8 sunbstituted quinoline. Heterocycl Chem 2001;38:233-6.
20. Aydogan F, Ocal N, Turgut Z, Yolacan C. Transformations of aldimines derived from pyrrole-2-carbaldehyde. synthesis of thiazolidino fused complexes. Bull Korean Chem Soc 2001;22:476-80.
21. Ocal N, Aydogan F, Yolacan C, Turgut Z. Synthesis of some furo-thiazolidine derivatives starting from aldimines. J Heterocycl Chem 2003;40:721-4.
22. Barbuliene MM, Sakociute V, Vainilavicius P. Synthesis and characterization of new pyrimidine-based 1,3,4â€“oxa (thia) diazoles, 1,2,4â€“triazoles and 4-thiazolidinones. ARKIVOC 2009;12:281-9.