SYNTHESIS AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF NOVEL 2-ARYL SUBSTITUTED BENZOTHIAZOLE DERIVATIVES
Objective: A series of 2-aryl substituted benzothiazole was designed and synthesized with various substituted benzoic acid. 2-mercaptobenzothiazole and thionyl chloride also used to get carbothiaote. The present study was carried to assess the pharmacological potential towards antioxidant activity of 2-aryl substituted benzothiazole derivatives.
Methods: The antioxidant activity of the synthesized compounds was evaluated by 2, 2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), and superoxide radical scavenging assay methods.
Results: Compounds showed significant radical scavenging potential due to the presence of electron donating substituent.
Conclusion: These indicate that benzothiazole derivatives showed the defence mechanism to prevent formation of excess free radicals.Keywords: Synthesis, Anti-oxidant activity and 2-aryl substituted benzothiazole derivatives.
2. Shah VH, Trivedi BH. Synthesis of some benzothiazole derivative. Indian Drugs 2000;29:262-4.
3. Shi DF, Bradshaw TD. Antitumor benzothiazoles: synthesis of 2-(4-aminophenyl) benzothiazoles and evaluation of their activities against breast cancer cell lines in vitro and in vivo. J Med Chem 1996;39:3375-84.
4. Recane L. Antimicrobial and anti HIV agent of benzothiazole derivatives. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2001;55:2085.
5. Malcolm FG. Steven, The synthesis and antitumour activity of benzothiazole substituted quinol derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2000;10:513-5.
6. Nadeem Siddiqui. Synthesis of some new benzothiazole incorporated sulphonamido as potential anticonvulsant. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2004;13:361-4.
7. Pattan SR, Narendra babu SN. Synthesis and antifungal activity of 2-amino [5â€™-(4-sulphonylbenzylidene)-2, 4-thiazolidene Dione]-7-(substituted)-6-fluro benzothiazoles. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2002:11:333-4.
8. Bhusari KP. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some 2-substituted Aminobenzothiazole. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2001;10:231-2.
9. Vibhute VB. Synthesis and antibacterial activityof some new 2-(substituted phenyl) sulphonamido)-6-substituted benzothiazoles. Indian J Heterocycl Chem 2001;11:79-80.
10. FA Hassan. Synthesis, characterization, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant activities of some new thiazole derivativesâ€. Int J Appl Sci Biotechnol 2012;7:180â€“7.
11. O I Aruoma. Free radicals, oxidative stress, and antioxidants in human health and diseaseâ€. J Am Oil Chem Soc 1998;75:199â€“12.
12. BN Ames, MK Shigenaga, TM Hagen. Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging.â€ Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1993;90:7915â€“22.
13. YK Tyagi, A Kumar, HG Raj. Synthesis of novel amino and acetyl amino-4-methylcoumarins and evaluation of their antioxidant activityâ€. Eur J Med Chem 2005;40:413â€“20.
14. S. Santosh Kumar, KI Priyadarsini, KB Sainis. Free radical scavenging activity of vanillin and o-vanillin using 1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radicalâ€. Redox Rep 2002;7:35â€“40.
15. D Kovala-Demertzi, A Galani, MA Demertzis, S Skoulika, C Kotoglou. Binuclear copper (II) complexes of tolfenamic: synthesis, crystal structure, spectroscopy and superoxide dismutase activityâ€. J Inorg Biochem 2004;98:358â€“64.