ANTI-HYPERGLYCEMIC EFFECT OF HYDRO-ALCOHOLIC EXTRACT OF THUNBERGIA FRAGRANS IN EXPERIMENTAL DIABETES
Objective: The aim of present research was undertaken to find out the effect of the potential Antidiabetic activity of Thunbergiafragrans and their effects on key metabolic enzymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism on alloxan induced diabetes in wistar rats.
Methods: In this study the plant extract was taken and measuring the changes in Blood glucose, Body weight, Glycogen content, Hematological & biochemical parameters, Hepatic glucokinase& hexokinase activity, and Glucose-6-phosphate levels inalloxan-induced diabetic rats.
Results: The effects produced by this plant extract on different parameters were compared with glipizide.
Conclusion: This extract also showed improvement in the parameters like body weight, liver glycogen content and carbohydrate metabolizing enzymes, as well as regeneration of Î²-cells of pancreas and so might be of value in diabetes treatmentKeywords: Thunbergia fragrance, Alloxan, Glipizide, Wistar rats.
2. "Diabetes Fact sheet N Â°312". WHO; 2013.
3. Kitabchi AE, Umpierrez GE, Miles JM, Fisher JN. "Hyperglycemic crises in adult patients with diabetes.". Diabetes Care 2009;32:1335â€“43.
4. Shoback. edited by David G Gardner. Dolores "Chapter 17". Greenspan's basic & clinical endocrinology. 9th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2011.
5. RSSDI textbook of diabetes mellitus. (Rev. 2nd ed.) New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2012. p. 235.
6. Jensen SR, Nielsen BJ. Iridoids in thunbergia species. Phytochemistry 1989;28:3059-61.
7. Eric WC Chan, Suit Ying Eng, Yuen Ping Tan, Zhiew Cheng Wong. Phytochemistry and pharmacological properties of thunbergia laurifolia: a review. Pharmacogn J 2011;3:1-6.
8. Al-Shamaony L, Al-Khazraji SM, Twaiji HA. Hypoglycaemic effect of Artemisia herbaalba. II. Effect of a valuable extract on some blood parameters in diabetic animals. J Ethnopharmacol 1994;43:167â€“71.
9. Lazarow A. Alloxan diabetes and mechanisms of beta cell damage by chemical agents. Exp Diabetes 1964;23:49-69.
10. Kavalali G, Tuncel H, S Go ksel, Hatemi HH. Hypoglycemic activity of Urticapilulifera in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol Pharmacol 2003;84:241-5.
11. Cai YZ, Sunb M, Xingc J, Luod O, Corkea H. Structure radicalscavenging activity relationships of phenolic compounds from traditional chinese medicinal plants. Life Sci 2006;78:2872â€“88.