MICROENCAPSULATION OF ASTAXANTHINUSING IONOTROPIC GELATION METHOD ISOLATED FROM THREE CRAB VARIETIES
Objective: The objective of the present study was to prepare microencapsulated astaxanthin isolated from three crab varieties.
Methods: Astaxanthin was isolated from Portunus sanguinolentus (Three Spotted Crab), Callinectes sapidus (Blue Crab), and Paralithodes brevipes (Spiny King Crab) using hexane: isopropanol and microencapsulated astaxanthin were prepared by 2% sodium alginate and 3% calcium chloride using ionotropic gelation method. The prepared microsphere was evaluated for SEM analysis, drug content, and encapsulation efficiency and swelling studies.
Results: The microspheres obtained were heterogeneous in size, round shaped with smooth surface and with no obvious dents. The practical drug content varied between 35.25 mg to 42.21 mg. The encapsulation efficiency was found to be higher in blue crab (90.42 %) when compared with other crab varieties along with astaxanthin standard. The result showed that the swelling ratio at pH 1.2 was lesser than at pH 7.4.
Conclusion: Thus the result gained revealed that the microencapsulated astaxanthin could support the concept of sustained release in drug therapy.Keywords: Microsphere, Astaxanthin, Ionotropic gelation, Drug therapy.
2. Tume RK, Sikes AL, Tabrett S, Smith DM. Effect of background color on the distribution of astaxanthin in black tiger prawn (Penaeus monodon): Effective method for improvement of cooked color. Aquacul 2009;296:129â€’35.
3. Zhao L, Chen F, Zhao G, Wang Z, Liao X, Hu X. Isomerization of transastaxanthin induced by copper (II) ion in ethanol. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53:9620-3.
4. Qian Shen, Siew Young Quek. Microencapsulation of astaxanthin with blends of milk protein and fiber by spray drying. J Food Eng 2014;123:165â€“71.
5. Gibbs BF, Kermasha S, Alli I, Mulligan CN. Encapsulation in the food industry: a review. Int J Food Sci Nutr 1999;50:213âˆ’24.
6. Bhandari BR, Dâ€™Arcy BR, Padukka I. Encapsulation of lemon oil by paste method using beta-cyclodextrin: encapsulation efficiency and profile of oil volatiles. J Agric Food Chem 1999;47:5194âˆ’7.
7. Lee JS, Cha DS, Park HJ. Survival of freeze-dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus KFRI 673 in chitosan-coated calcium alginate micro particles. J Agric Food Chem 2004;52:7300âˆ’5.
8. Chan ES. Preparation of Ca-alginate beads containing high oil content. Carbohydr Polym 2011;84:1267âˆ’75.
9. Sun-Waterhouse D, Zhou J, Miskelly GM, Wibisono R, Wadhwa SS. Stability of encapsulated olive oil in the presence of caffeic acid. Food Chem 2011;126: 1049âˆ’56.
10. Calvo P, CastanÌƒo AL, Lozano M, GonzaÌlez-GoÌmez D. Micro-encapsulation of refined olive oil: influence of capsule wall components and the addition of antioxidant additives on the shelf life and chemical alteration. J Sci Food Agric 2012;92:2689âˆ’95.
11. Sun-Ah Park, Jun-Bae Ahn, Suk-Hyun Choi, Ji-Soo Lee, Hyeon Gyu Lee. The effects of particle size on the physicochemical properties of optimized astaxanthin-rich Xanthophyllomyces dendrorhous-loaded microparticles. LWT-Food Sci Tech 2014:55:638-44.
12. Sanchidra NM, Bhaskar N, Siddegowda GS, Sathisha AD, Suresh PV. Recovery of carotenoids from ensilaged shrimp waste. Bioresour Technol 2007;98:1642-6.
13. Uma Nath Ushakumari, Ravi Ramanujan. Astaxanthin from shrimp shell waste. Int J Pharm Chem Res 2012;1:1-6.
14. Ozcelik B, Karadag A, Ersen S. Bioencapsulation of Beta-carotene in three different methods. International conference of Bioencapsulation; 2009. p. 1-4.
15. Ravindra Reddy K, Sabitha Reddy P. Effect of different Co-polymers on sodium alginate microcapsules containing isoniazid. Int J PharmTech Res 2010;2:2198-203.
16. Sachindra NM, Bhaskar N, Mahendrakar NS. Carotenoids in different body components of Indian shrimps. J Sci Food Agric 2005a;85:167-72.
17. Coral-Hinostroza GN, Bjerkeng B. Astaxanthin from the red crab langostilla (Pleuroncodesplanipes): optical RyS isomers and fatty acid moieties of astaxanthin esters. Comp Biochem Physiol Part B: Biochem Mol Biol 2002;133:437â€“44. Taksima T, Limpawattana M, Klaypradit W. Astaxanthin encapsulated in beads using ultrasonic atomizer and application in yogurt as evaluated by consumer sensory profile. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2015;62:431â€“7.