EFFECT OF EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION ON EMISSION CHARACTERISTICS OF COMPRESSION IGNITION ENGINE WITH COTTONSEED BIODIESEL
The present investigation was to study the compression ignition (CI) engines with cottonseed biodiesel along with different percentage of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) for analyzing the emission characteristics. In this experiment, the EGR percentage was varied from 0% to 30% in a four-stroke, air-cooled, single cylinder, diesel engine capable of developing 4.4 kW-rated power to study its emission characteristics, which were clearly compared with diesel fuel. From the experiment, it is observed that the increase in EGR percentage in fresh mixture which intern resulted in reduction in oxides of nitrogen emissions. The maximum percentage reduction in oxides of nitrogen, when compared to neat diesel operation, is 65.86%. Even though there is an increase in carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emission for various EGR rate.
2. Yerrennagoudaru H, Manjunatha K. Performance and emission characteristics of CI engine using hippie oil and cotton seed oil blended with methanol. Int J Recent Dev Eng Technol 2014;3:91-6.
3. Martin M, Prithiviraj D. Performance of pre-heated cottonseed oil and diesel fuel blends in a compression ignition engine. Jordan J Mech Ind Eng 2011;5:235-40.
4. Krishna AR, Prabakaran B. Performance and emission characteristics of cottonseed oil methyl ester in a diesel engine. Int J Eng Sci Res Technol 2015;4:286-91.
5. Giakoumis EG, Rakopoulos CD, Rakopoulos DC, Dimaratos AM. Assessment of NOx emissions during transient diesel engine operation with biodiesel blends. J Energy Eng 2014;140:A4014004.
6. Jamsaran N, Lim O. Effects of EGR and boosting on the auto-ignition characteristics of HCCI combustion fueled with natural gas. J Natl Gas Sci Eng 2016;35:1015-24.
7. Xie F, Hong W, Su Y, Zhang M, Jiang B. Influence of air and EGR dilutions on improving performance of a high compression ratio spark-ignition engine fueled with methanol at light load. Appl Ther Eng 2016;94:559-67.
8. Huang H, Qingsheng L, Ruzhi Y, Tianru Z. Comparative study of effects of pilot injection and fuel properties on low temperature combustion in diesel engine under a medium EGR rate. Appl Energy 2016;179:1194 208.
9. Lattimore T, Herreros JM, Xu H. Shuai S. Investigation of EGR effect on Combustion and PM emissions in a DISI engine. Appl Energy 2016; 161:256-67.
10. Liu H, Li S, Zheng Z, Xu J, Yao M. Effects of n-butanol, 2-butanol, and methyl octynoate addition to diesel fuel on combustion and emissions over a wide range of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) rates. Appl Energy 2013;112:246-56.
11. Fathi M, Saray RK, Checkel MD. The influence of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) on combustion and emissions of n-heptane/natural gas fueled homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines. Appl Energy 2011;88:4719-24.
12. Labecki L, Ganippa LC. Effects of injection parameters and EGR on combustion and emission characteristics of rapeseed oil and its blends in diesel engines. Fuel 2012;98:15-28.
13. Musa NA, Teran GM, Yaman SA. Emission characterization of diesel engine run on coconut oil biodiesel its blends and diesel. J Appl Sci Environ Manage 2016;20:303-6.
14. Koti RV, et al. An investigation on the performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine using safflower oil and milk scum oil as a biodiesel. Int Ref J Eng Sci 2014;3:19-27.
15. Arbab MI, Masjuki HH, Varman M, Kalam MK, Imtenan S, Sajjad H, et al.â€ Performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine fueled by an optimum biodieselâ€“biodiesel blend. R Soc Chem 2014;4:37122 9.
16. Ashraful AM, Masjuki HH, Kalam MA, Fattah R, Masjuki HH, Kalam MA, et al.â€ Impact of edible and non-edible biodiesel fuel properties and engine operation condition on the performance and emission characteristics of unmodified DI diesel engine. Biofuels 2016;7:1-14.
17. Agarwal A, Kumar P, Kumar A, Choudhary N. Effect of variation of compression ratio and injection pressure on performance and emission characteristics of Ci Engine using various alternative fuels: A review. Int J Res Eng Technol 2015;4:40-5.
18. Bhaskar SV, Babu GS. Experimental analysis of emission characteristics of direct injection CI engine using FOME and its diesel blends as bio-fuel. Int J Curr Eng Technol 2015;5:1718-22.
19. Sharma A, Sharma H, Sahoo PK, Tripathi RK, Meher LC. ANN based prediction of performance and emission characteristics of CI engine using Polanga as a biodiesel. Int J Ambient Energy 2015:1-12.
20. Sonar D, et al. Performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine with varying injection pressure and fuelled with raw Mahua oil (preheated and blends) and mahua oil methyl ester. Clean Technol Environ Policy 2015;17:1499-511.
21. Sonune PP, Farkade HS. Performance and emissions of CI engine fuelled with preheated vegetable oil and its blendsâ€“a review. Int J Eng Innov Technol 2012;2:123-8.
22. Ganesh D, Nagarajan G. Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) combustion of diesel fuel with external mixture formation. Energy 2010;35:148-57.
23. Saravanan S, et al. An experimental study on premixed charge compression ignition-direct ignition engine fuelled with ethanol and gasohol. Alexandria Eng J 2015;:1-8.
24. Kumar KD, Kumar PR. Experimental investigation of cotton seed oil and neem methyl esters as biodiesel on CI engine. Int J Modern Eng Res 2012;2:1741-6.
25. Phate JM, Kulkarni AV. Experimental investigation of the suitability of orange peel oil as a blend with cotton seed oil as alternate fuel for diesel engines: A review. Int J Innov Res Sci Eng Technol 2014;3:67-70.
26. Manimaran P, et al. Experimental investigation of the orange peel oil and cotton seed oil blend with petrol as an alternate fuel for petrol engines. Int J Innov Res Sci Eng Technol 2014;3:1309-14.