â€œPHYTOREMEDIATION OF PHARMACEUTICAL PRODUCTSâ€
Objective: This study focuses on application of phytoremediation technology in remediation of some pharmaceutical products like antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) and hormones (progesterone and estrogen).
Methods: Cicer arientum is well studied and documented plant for phytoremediation of heavy metals, in specific. Here we tried to focus this potential of this plant for the pharmaceutical products by UV-VIS Spectrophotometric method in Hoagland-Arnon solution.
Results: The results implies that Cicer arientum can be used for phytoremediation of pharmaceutical products with an average of 60% of the pollutant beingÂ remediated.
Conclusion: The percentage remediation of Â pollutants are 60, 64.66 and 63.3 of Ciprofloxacin, progesterone and estrogen, respectively by Cicer arientum.
Keywords: Antibiotics, hormones, Cicer arientum, UV spectrophometre, pharmaceutical products.
2. Lapen, D.R., Topp, E., Metcalfe, C.D., Li, H., Edwards, M., Gottschall, N., Bolton, P., Curnoe, W., Payne, M. & Beck, A., â€œPharmaceutical and personal care products in tile drainage following land application of municipal biosolidsâ€, Sci. Total Environ., 2008, pp 50â€“65.
3. C. AndrÃ©, Y. Jacquot, T. T. Truong, M. Thomassin, J. F. Robert and Y. C. Guillaume, â€œAnalysis of the progesterone displacement of its human serum albumin binding site by ÃŸ-estradiol using biochromatographic approaches: effect of two salt modifiersâ€, Journal of Chromatography B, 2003, 796, Issue 2, 5, 267-281.
4. Lillenberg, M., Yurchenko, S., Kipper, K., Herodes, K., Pihl, V., Sepp, K., LÃµhmus, R. & Nei, L., â€œSimultaneous determination of fluoroquinolones, sulfonamides and tetracyclines in sewage sludge by pressurised liquid extraction and liquid chromatography electrospray ionization-mass spectrometryâ€, J. Chromatogr. A, 2009, pp 5949â€“5954.
5. Halling-SÃ¸rensen, B., Nors Nielsen, S., Lanzky, P.F., Ingerslev, F., Holten LÃ¼tzhoft, H. C. & JÃ¸rgensen, S.E., â€œOccurrence, fate and effects of pharmaceuticals in the environmentâ€, Chemosphere, 1998, pp 357â€“393.
6. Linda S. Lee, Nadia Carmosini, Stephen A. Sassman, Heather M. Dion, Maria S. SepÃºlveda, â€œAgricultural Contributions of Antimicrobials and Hormones on Soil and Water Qualityâ€, Advances in Agronomy Volume 93, 2007, Pages 1â€“68.
7. Iris G Lange, Andreas Daxenberger, Bettina Schiffer, Hilda Witters, Dolores Ibarreta, Heinrich H.D Meyer, â€œSex hormones originating from different livestock production systems: fate and potential disrupting activity in the environmentâ€, Analytica Chimica Acta Volume 473, Issues 1â€“2, 25 November 2002, Pages 27â€“37.
8. Jambu Sangeetha C., Vilvan S., Kumar A. and Tyagi Manoj G., â€œChromatographic and Spectrophotometric Evaluation of Progesterone and estrogenâ€, Recent Research in Science and Technology 2010, 2(6): 22-28.
9. Claudia Cimpoiu, Anamaria Hosu, Sorin Hodisan, â€œAnalysis of some steroids by thin layer chromatography using optimum mobile phasesâ€, Journal of Pharm. and Biom. Analysis, 2006, 41, 633â€“637.
10. M. Lillenberg, S.V. Litvin, L. Nei, M. Roasto and K. Sepp, â€œEnrofloxacin and Ciprofloxacin Uptake by Plants from Soilâ€, Agronomy Research, 2010, pp 807-814.
11. Hoagland, D.R. and D. I. Arnon, â€œThe water-culture method for growing plants without soilâ€, California Agriculture Experiment Station Circular, 1950, pp 1-32.
12. Swarna Shikha and Pammi Gauba (2015) â€œPhytoremediation of copper and ciprofloxacin by Brassica juncea: A comparative studyâ€; Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 7(11):281-287.
13. Amjad, H., Iqbal, J. and Naeem, M.,Analysis of some residual antibiotics in muscle, kidney and liver samples of broiler chicken by various methods. Proceedings of the Pakistan Academy of Sciences, 2005, 42, 223-231.
14. Dey, S., Ratnakar, C.H. ,Vaithiyanathan, S., Samal, H.B, Reddy, Y.V., Krishna Bala, Reddy, Y.A., Kumar, N. and Mohapatra, S. Spectrophotometer method developed for the estimation of flucloxacilin in bulk and dosage form using UV-VIS, 2010.
15. Mendez, A.S., Steppe, M. and Schapoval, E.E.Validation of HPLC and UV spectrophotometric methods for the determination of meropenem in pharmaceutical dosage form. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 2003, 33, 947-954. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0731-7085(03)00366-2.
16. Raju KN, Sunitha T, Babu IS. QUANTITATIVE ESTIMATION OF RILUZOLE USING SOLUBILIZING AGENT BY UV-SPECTROPHOTOMETRY. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2014 Oct 31; 6(3).