ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTIHEMOLYTIC ACTIVITY OF AVERRHOA BILIMBI EXTRACT
Objectives: TheÂ presentÂ investigationÂ attemptsÂ toÂ studyÂ theÂ antioxidantÂ andÂ antihemolyticÂ activityÂ ofÂ ethylÂ acetateÂ fractionÂ ofÂ theÂ bilimbiÂ extract (BE)Â andÂ determineÂ theÂ contributoryÂ phytochemicals.
Methods: Fresh fruits of Averrhoa bilimbi were dried and subjected to 60% aqueous methanol extraction followed by biphasic extraction with ethyl acetate and water. The ethyl acetate fraction (BE) underwent phytochemical screening, analyzed using RP- HPLC and 2,2-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) (ABTS.+) radical scavenging activity, hydroxyl radical scavenging activity, RBC protection activity and DNA protection activity.
Results: In phytochemical screening analysis, we detected lipids while alkaloids, flavanoids, saponins, terpenoids, cardiac glycosides, reducing sugars and amino acids were not detected. HPLC analysis showed prominent peaks at 23, 27 and 37 min under 310 nm. The fraction expressed ABTS.+ radical scavenging activity,Â hydroxyl radical scavenging activity, RBC protection activity and DNA protection activity wherein TEAC value was 11.5 ÂµM, IC50 value of hydroxyl RSA and antihemolytic activity were 49 and 47 Âµg/ml respectively.
Conclusion: The ethyl acetate fraction of bilimbi predominantly comprised of lipids which exhibited significant antioxidant and protective properties.
Key words: Antioxidant, DNA protection activity, antihemolytic activity
2. Lien A, Pham-Huy, Hua He, Chuong Pham-Huy. Free Radicals, Antioxidants in Disease and Health. Inter J Biomed Sci 2008; 4: 89-96
3. Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC. Free radicals in biology and medicine 4th ed. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press 2007.
4. Singh U and Jialal I. Oxidative Stress and atherosclerosis. Pathophysiology 2006; 13: 129- 42.
5. Butterfield DA. Amyloid beta-peptide (1-42)-induced oxidative stress and neurotoxicity: implications for neurodegeneration in Alzheimerâ€™s disease brain. A review. Free Radic Res 2002;36:1307â€“13
6. Bahorun T, Soobrattee MA, Luximon-Ramma V, Aruoma OI. Free radicals and antioxidants in cardiovascular health and disease. Internat J Med Update 2006; 1:1â€“17
7. Meyer AS, Isaksen, A. Application of enzymes as food antioxidants. Trends Food Sci Technol 1995; 6, 300â€“4
8. Kumar AS, Kavimani S, Jayaveera KN A review on medicinal plants with potential antidiabetic activity Internat J Phytopharmacol 2011; 2: 53-60
9. Kurup SB and Mini S. In Vitro Evaluation of Free Radical Scavenging and Antioxidant Activities of Averrhoa bilimbi Fruit Extracts. J Plant Chem Ecophysiol 2017; 2: 1014- 20
10. Chauhan JB and Kapfo W. Effect of traditional sun-drying on Phenolic Antioxidants of Averrhoa Bilimbi L. Internat J Appl Biol Pharma Technol 2013; 4: 26- 34
11. Chauhan JB, Jayarama S, Kyathegowdanadoddi BS, Kapfo W. Proapoptotic potential of Averrhoa bilimbi extraction Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma induced mice. Asian J Clinic Pharmaceut Res 2016; 9: 348-52
12. Zaman R, Parvez M, Jakaria Md., Ali Ms , Hoque SA. Phytochemical Screening, In Vitro cytotoxic and antimicrobial activity of methanolic extract of leaves of Ficus sagittata Vahl. Innovare J Life Sci 2016; 4: 12-15
13. Kunchandy E, Rao MNA . Oxygen radical scavenging activity of curcumin. Int J Pharm 1990; 58, 237â€“40.
14. Jiang Y, Han W, Shen T, Wang MH. Antioxidant Activity and Protection from DNA Damage by Water Extract from Pine (Pinus densiflora) Bark. Prev Nutr Food Sci 2012; 17: 116 â€“ 21
15. Mosbah A, Sobhi W, Benboubetra M. Antioxidant and anti-Hemolitic activities of Algerian Nigella sativa total oil and its neutral lipid fraction. Internat J Pharma Pharmaceutic Sci. 2015; 7: 50- 4
16. Asgary S, Naderi GH, Askari N. Protective effect of flavonoids against red blood cell hemolysis by free radicals. Exp Clin Cardiol 10: 88- 90
17. Nikolova-Damyanova B. Reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography: general principles and applications to the analysis of fatty acids and triacylglycerols. Adv Lipid Methodol 1997; 4: 193-251
18. Niki E. Lipid antioxidants: How they may act in biological systems. Br J Cancer 1987; 55: 153-7
19. Shaban S, El-Husseny MWA, Abushouk AI, Salem AMA, Mamdouh M, Abdel-Daim MM. Effects of Antioxidant Supplements on the Survival and Differentiation of Stem Cells. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2017; 2017: 1-16