CURRENT STATUS OF ICTHYOFAUNAL DIVERSITY OF TUNGA RIVER AT MANDAGADDE BIRD SANTUARY, SHIVAMOGGA, KARNATAKA, INDIA
Objective: The objective of this study was to find out the diversity of fishes of Tunga river at Mandagadde bird sanctuary.
Methods: The fishes were collected with the help of fisherman by repeated netting from selected localities during the study period from April to October 2016.Â Fishes were photographed at first for documentation of the fresh color and then preserved in 10% formalin. Systematic identification of fish species were carried out by using the standard keys.
Results: A total of 16 species of fishes belonging to 4 orders, 8 families and 12 genera were recorded from the study area. Six species sighted in family Cyprinidae. Channidae, Cichlidae and Siluridae were represented by two species each. Families Bagridae, Heteropneustidae, Notopteridae and Schilbeidae had only a single species each.
Conclusion: This study highlights the rich concentration of fish species, economically important and of high commercial value.
Keywords: Icthyofauna, Mandagadde bird sanctuary, Conservation status, Shivamogga, Karnataka
1. Napit M K. Study of fish fauna of Bundelkhand region with special reference to Damoh district. Int J of Adv Res 2013; 1(4): 24-30.
2. Siddiqui A, Meenakshi C and Shailendra S. Biodiversity of Icthyofauna of Narmada river of Mandleshwar region, Madhya Pradesh, India. Sci Sec J of Envir Bio 2014; 1(1): 21-25.
3. Sayeswara HA, Naik KL Mahesh AG. (2011). Physico-chemical parameters and Icthyofauna of Barehalla tank, Shivamogga, Karnataka, India. Geobios 2011; 38(2-3): 187-191.
4. Dutta M, Shrivastava SK. Natural history of fishes and systematic of freshwater fishes in India. Narendra Publishing Company. New Delhi, India. 1988.
5. Talwar PK, Jhingran AG. Inland fishes of India and adjacent countries. Oxford and IBH Publishing Company Private limited, New Delhi, India. 1991.
6. Jayaram KC. The freshwater fishes of the Indian region. Narendra Publishing House, New Delhi. 1999.
7. Joshi KD, Alam A, Jha DN, Srivastava SK, Kumar V. Fish diversity, composition and invasion of exotic fishes in river Yamuna under altered water quality conditions. Ind J of Ani Sci 2016; 86(8): 957-963.
8. Mathew P, Ashim KN. Systematic studies on Hill Stream Cyprinid Fishes of Manimala River of Kerala, India. Int J of Res Stu in Zoo 2016; 2(3): 39-46.
9. Rashmi M, Jayshree S, Sharma PB. Fish diversity of Narmada river at Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Int J of Pharm Res & Biosci 2016; 5(2): 27-32.
10. Verma A K, Shriprakash. Fish diversity of Alwara lake of District Kaushambi, Uttar Pradesh, India. Res J of Ani Veter & Fish Sci 2016; 4(4): 5-9
11. Owais A W, Uma S G. A Study on Icthyofaunal diversity of Sagar lake, Madhya Pradesh, India. Int J of Biodiv and Cons 2015; 7(3): 126-129.
12. Yodha R K, Chaurasia R K. Studies on the fish species diversity of river Narmada in Khedighat, Barwaha, Madhya Pradesh. Int J of Devel Res & Engi 2014; 1(1): 1-4.
13. Basavaraja D, Narayana J, Kiran BR, Puttaiah ET. Fish diversity and abundance in relation to water quality of Anjanapura reservoir, Karnataka, India. Int J of Curr Microbiol & Appl Sci 2014; 3(3): 747-757.
14. Bose AK, Jha BC, Suresh VR, Das AK, Parashar A, Ridhi. Fishes of the middle stretch of river Tawa, Madhya Pradesh. J of Chem Biol & Phy Sci 2013; 1(6): 3(1): 706-716