ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF LEAVES OF LEUCAS ZEYLANICA LINN BY USING ISOLATED FROG HEART
Objective: The present study was aimed to evaluate the antioxidant activity of methanolic extract of leaves of Leucas zeylanica Linn. by using isolated frog heart as a model.
Method: 1mMÂ of H2O2 solution in frog Ringer solution was used to induce oxidative stress on isolated frog heart. When ringer solution containing H2O2 perfused to frog heartÂ preparation, which indicating the induction of oxidative stress on frog heart, this might be due to desitilization of receptors. Cardiac output, heart rate and cardiac arrest parameters were estimated.
Results: The present study results supports that the frog heart model for induction of oxidative stress by H2O2. It shows negative ionotropic and chronotopic effects and the cardiac arrest was produced at 20th minute. In the presence of methanolic extract of leaves of Leucas zeylanica,Â the cardiac arrest was observed atÂ 38th minutes i.e. heart was protected longer period that indicates antioxidant activity which was compared with the standard ascorbic acid.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Conclusion: The results obtained in this work showed that methanolic extract of leaves ofÂ Leucas zeylanica exhibits anti-oxidant activity against H2O2 induced oxidative stress on isolated frog heart model and compared with a standard antioxidant agent (Ascorbic acid).
Key words: Frog heart, antioxidant activity, Leucas zeylanica, methanolic extract, oxidative stress.
2. Dhan Prakash, Samikasha Suri, Garima Upadhyay and Singh BN. Total phenol, antioxidant and free radical Scavenging activities of some medicinal plants. International Journal of food Science and Nutrition 2007; 58(1): 18.
3. Geethika K, Sunoj Kumar P. Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of 6 Members of Leucas (Lamiaceae). Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res. 2017;47(1): 60-64.
4. Kazuo Yamamoto, Ryoji Kushima, Osamu Kisaki, Yoshihide Fujiyama and Hidetoshi Okabe. Combined effect of hydrogen peroxide induced oxidative stress and IL-1Î± on IL-8 production in CaCo-2 cells (a Human colon carcinoma cell line) and normal intestinal epithelial cells. Journal of inflammation 2003; 27:123-128.
5. Leucas zeylanica (L) R.Br.- Lamiaceae- Dicotyledon â€œ. http://www. Oswaldasia .org.
6. Leucas zeylanica flora of chinaâ€. http://www. Efloras.org.
7. Leucas zeylanica list. http://www.Tropicos.org
8. Leucas zeylanica listâ€. http://www. Ipni.org
9. Leucas zeylanica. http://www. Virboga.de
10. Mustafa Taha Mohammed, Sura Mohammed Kadhim, Abdulkadir Mohammed Noori Jassimand and Sarah Isam Abbas. Free Radicals And Human Health. International Journal of Innovation Sciences and research 2015; 4(6):218-223.
11. Prabhakar M.C. Experiments on frogs in Experimental pharmacology for undergraduates 1st ed., India 2007; 52-58.
12. Prasad N, Rama Narsimha Reddy A, Venkatesham A, Krishna DR and Prabhakara MC. Antioxidant Activity Of Animal Bile Using Frog Heart As A Model. Pharmacologyonline 2008; 2: 390-396.
13. Praveen Kumar P, Satyavathi K, Prabhakar Mc. Antioxidant Activity Of Traditionally Used Backyard Indian Medicinal Plants Using Frog Heart As A Model. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological And Chemical Sciences 2010;1(3):131.
14. Rabia N, Sabila B, Azra N., Rahmatullah Q, Rabia A, Khaliq C and Zahid A. Wee Flora of Pir Mehr Ali Shah Arid Agriculture University Rawalpindi: Winter Aspect. Pak. Journal of Weed Sciences Research 2008; 14: 255-72.
15. Radhika B. Comparitive Study of Soxhlation and Maceration Extracts of Tabernaemontana Divaricta Leaves for Antibacterial Activity. Journal of natural products and plant resources 2017;7(2):34-39.
16. Rajyalakshmi G, Radhika T and Prasad N. Antioxidant Activity Of Red Kino Tree Using Frog Heart Model.Pharmacologyonline 2008;3: 26-31.
17. Subhashinee S. Wijeratne K, Susan L. Cuppett, and Vicky Schlegel. Hydrogen peroxide induced oxidative stress damage and antioxidant enzyme response in Caco-2 human colon cells. Journal of Agriculture Food Chemistry 2005;53(22):8768-8775.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.