LOW COST CARBON CATHODE FOR NATURAL DYE SENSITIZED SOLAR CELL
Objective: Platinum film on fluorine doped tin oxide (FTO) glass surface has been used commonly in the research of dye sensitized solar cells (DSSCs). However, cost of platinum is too high to fabricate a cost effective ecofriendly DSSC. The current study has been done to replace the high cost platinum counter electrode by low cost carbon electrode.
Material and Method: TiO2 nanoparticles has been synthesized and used to synthesize Photo anode of DSSC on fluorine doped tin oxide (FTO) glass surface. Platinum and Carbon cathodes has been synthesized on fluorine doped tin oxide (FTO) glass surface fabricated and their photovoltaic properties have been compared. Area of the cathode and anode has been maintained 1square centimeter.
Results: Study of DSSCs reveals, carbon cathode can successfully replace the platinum cathode as efficiencies of DSSCs have been found to be more using carbon cathode as compare to the platinum cathode. Ecofriendly Eosin Y dye sensitized TiO2 nanoparticles photo anode has been used for the fabrication of DSSC.
Conclusions: Investigation leads to the conclusion that carbon cathode can replace the platinum cathode in dye sensitized solar cell.
2. Jessika Crugger, Thesis number 2793(2003), Interface Engineering In Solid-State Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells, Federal institute of technology in Lausanne, Heidelberg, Germany.
3. Carmen Cavallo, Francesco Di Pascasio, Alessandro Latini, Matteo Bonomo, and Danilo Dini. Review Article: Nanostructured Semiconductor Materials for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. Journal of Nanomaterials 2017; 2017: Article ID 5323164, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/5323164
4. Kulkarni SS, Bodkhe GA, Shirsat SM, Hussaini SS, Shejwal NN and Shirsat MD. Dye Sensitized Solar Cell based on Environmental Friendly Eosin Y Dye and Al doped Titanium Dioxide Nano Particles. Mater. Res. Express 2018; 5(3): 036205-036221, doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aab2d1
5. Kulkarni SS, Bodkhe GA, Sayyad PW, S. S. Hussaini SS and Shirsat MD. Optimization Of Aluminium Doping Concentration In Titanium Dioxide Nano Particles Photo Anode For Enhancing Efficiency Of Dye sensitized Solar Cell. under press
6. Kulkarni SS, Bodkhe GA, Sayyad PW, S. S. Hussaini SS and Shirsat MD. Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopic Study Of Dye Sensitized Solar Cell With Al Doped TiO2 Nanoparticles Photo Anode Sensitized By Eosin Y Dye. International Journal of Advance and Innovative Research 2018; 6(1): 111-116
7. Shanting Zhang, Thesis, 2017, Study of fluorine-doped tin oxide (FTO) thin films for photovoltaics applications, Materials, Université Grenoble Alpes, English.
8. Geetam Richhariyaa, Anil Kumara, Perapong Tekasakul, Bhupendra Gupta. Natural dyes for dye sensitized solar cell: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2017; 69: 705–718.
9. Giuseppe Calogero, Antonino Bartolotta, Gaetano Di Marco, Aldo Di Carlo and Francesco Bonaccorso. Vegetable-based dye-sensitized solar cells. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2015; 44, 3244-3494, Doi. Org/10.1039/c4cs00309h
10. Fan Zhang, Feng Shi, Wei Ma, Fei Gao, Yang Jiao, Hui Li, Jingchuan Wang, Xinyan Shan, Xinghua Lu, and Sheng Meng. Controlling Adsorption Structure of Eosin Y Dye on Nanocrystalline TiO2 Films for Improved Photovoltaic Performances. J. Phys. Chem. C 2013; 117: 14659-14666, dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp404439p
11. Rhee SW and Kwon W. Key Technological Elements in Dye sensitized Solar Cells. Korean J. Chem. Eng. 2011; 28: 1481
12. Sang Hern Kim and Chang Woo Park. Novel Application of Platinum Ink for Counter Electrode Preparation in Dye Sensitized Solar Cells. Bull. Korean Chem. Soc. 2013; 34( 3): 831-836
13. M. Gratzel . Dye Sensitized Solar Cells. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C: Photochemistry Reviews 2003; 4(2):145–153
14. Souad A. M. Al-Bat’hi, Iraj Alaei, Iis Sopyan. Natural Photosensitizers for Dye Sensitized Solar Cells. International Journal Of Renewable Energy Research 2013; 3(1): 138-143
15. Halil ?brahim Yavuz, Thesis, (2014), Design Of High-Efficiency Dye-Sensitized Nanocrystalline Solar Cells, Middle East Technical University, turkey
16. M. Kouhnavard, N. Ahmad Ludin, B. Vazifehkhah Ghaffari, K. Sopian, N. Abdul Karim, and M. Miyake. An efficient metal-free hydrophilic carbon as a counter electrode for dye sensitized solar cells. International Journal of Photoenergy 2016; 2016, Article ID5186762, 7 pages,.
17. Zhang Y, Wu W, Zhang K, Liu C, Yu A, Peng M and Zhai J. Raman Study of 2D Anatase TiO2 Nanosheets. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2016; 18(47): 32178-32184, DOI: 10.1039/C6CP05496J
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.