VALIDATION OF SODIUM NITROPRUSSIDE IN VISIBLE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF TRIPOLIDINE HYDROCHLORIDE
Objective: A simple and sensitive extractive visible spectrophotometric method is developed for the assay of triprolidine hydrochloride using sodium nitroprusside.
Methods: Based on color development with amino groups, presence, which is basic, may be due to the formation of inner complex replacing H2O by the tertiary amino group present in the drug.
Results: The colored products exhibit absorption λmax at 447 nm. Regression analysis of Beer–Lambert plots showed good correlation in the concentration ranges (40–240) μg/ml and correlation coefficients are 0.994. The Sandell’s sensitivities 2.6373×10−2 (1 mole cm−1) and molar absorptivity value are 1.1938×104 (g cm−2). Recovery studies are found to be 99.708–99.786.
Conclusion: The method can be applied successfully for the estimation of the drug in the presence of other ingredients that are usually present in formulations.
2. Reynolds JE. Promethazine and other anti- histamine In: Martindale: The Extra Pharmacopoeia. Vol. 28. London: The Pharmaceutical Press; 1982. p. 1294.
3. Deangelis RL, Kearney MF, Welch RM. J Pharm Sci 1997;66:841-3.
4. Gupta A, Nema RK, Sahu A. Simultaneous estimation of phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride and triprolidine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical preparations by RP-HPLC method. Pharm Res 2009;1:67-71.
5. Caglar H, Buyuktuncel E. HPLC method development and vaidation: Simultaneous determination of active ingredients in cough and cold pharmaceuticals. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:421-8.
6. EL-Shabrawy Y, El-Gindy A, Al-Shabraw Shoeib M, El-Gindy Y. An HPLC method for determination of 15 pharmaceutical compounds in anti-cold products. Stand Res J Pharm Pharmacol 2014;1:86-94.
7. El-Gindy A, Attia KA, Nassar MW, Abu Seada HH, Al-Shabrawi Shoeib M. HPLC method for determination of paracetamol, psudoephedrine, triprolidine, methylparaben, propylparaben, sodium benzoate and other related substances in pharmaceutical syrup. J Liquid Cheomatogr Relat Technol 2013;36:1251-63.
8. Saida BM, Alabjaw SA, Deabas F, Saket MM, Shareiah R, Abu Nameh ES. Liquid chromatographic Method for the determination of triprolidine, liquid chromatographic method for the determination of triprolidine. J Chem Pharm Res 2014;6:327-32.
9. Mumtaz A, Kazi AA, Aman T, Sabri MU, Noureen F. Dtermination of troprolidine-HCL by spectrophoto metric method in pure and pharmaceutical preparartions using dichloronitrobenzene as a new cheomagenic reagent. Proc Pak Acad Sci 2005;42:253-9.
10. Hinge M, Patel KR, Mahinda RJ. Spectrophotometrioc and high performance liquid chromatographic determination (HPLC) of triprolidine and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride in tablet dosage form. Pharm Method 2015;15:87-93.
11. Hansen EB Jr., Getek TA, Korfmacher WA. Application of HPLC-thermospray ionization mass spectrometry for the analysis of triprolidine and its metabolite hydromethytriprolidine in biological samples. J Anal Toxicol 1989;13:185-7.
12. Di Berardino S, Jasionowska R. Rapid and sensitive CZE (capillary zone electrophoresis) method for quality control analysis of pharmaceuticals containing pseudoephedrine, triprolidine and paracetamol. Am J Anal Chem 2014;5:613-9.
13. Moneab MK, Chandrasekh KB, Vyasa S. Degradation studies of troprolidine: Isolation, characterization of oxidative degradationproducts and development of a validated stability indicating indicating method UPLC method. J Chromatogr Relat Technol 2011;34:652-69.
14. Zayed SI. New plastic membrane and carbon paste ion selective electrodes for the determination of troprolidine. Anal Sci 2004;20:1043-8.
15. Bye CE, Cooper J, Empey DW, Fowle AS, Hughes DT, Letley E, et al. Effects of pseudoephedrine and triprolidine, alone and in combination, on symptoms of the common cold. Br Med J 1980;281:189-90.
16. Guidance for Industry. Analytical Procedure and Methods Validation: Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls Documentation; Draft Guidance. Rockville, MD. UD Food and Drug Administration; 2000.
17. International Conference on Hormonization. Q2A: Text on Validation of Analytical Procedures. Fed Regist 1995;60:11260-2.
18. Drug Bank. Available from: http://www.drug bank.ca/drug/db01264. [Last accessed on 2015 Jun 10].
19. Aman T, Ahmad A, Aslam M, Kashmiri MA, Spectrophotometeric determination of tripolidine hydro chloride by m dinitro benzene in pharmaceutical preparations. Anal Lett 2002;35:733-46.
20. Abu Reid IO, Kariem EA. Spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous determination of pseudoephedrine and triprolidine in bulk and tablet forms. Int J Adv Pharm Anal 2017;13:21-3.
21. Davidson AG, Mkoji LM. The simultaneous assay of triprolidine, pseudoephedrine and dextromethorphan in combined preparations by derivative-difference spectrophotometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1988;6:449-60.
22. Askal HF, Refaat IH, Darwish IA, Marzouq MA. A selective spectrophotometric method for determination of rosoxacin antibiotic using sodium nitroprusside as a chromogenic reagent. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2007;69:1287-91.
23. Moldovan Z, Aboul-Enein HY. A sensitive spectrophotometric method for the determination of diosmin using sodium nitroprusside as a chromogenic reagent. Inst Sci Technol 2011;39:545851.
24. Li QM, Gao LX. A novel method for the determination of streptomycin using sodium nitroprusside as a chromogenic reagent by spectrophotometry. Anal Lett 2008;41:2595-207.
25. Frank MJ, Joahnson JB, Rubin SH. Spectrophotometric determination of sodium nitroprusside and its photo degradation products. J Pharm Sci 1976;65:44-8.
26. Zhan Y, Zhang Y, Li Q, Du Z. Selective spectrophotometric determination of paracetamol with sodium nitroprusside in pharmaceutical and biological samples. J Anal Chem 2011;66:215-20.
27. Liu B. A novel technique for the determination of propyl thio uracil with sodium nitroprusside as a chromogenic reagent by spectrophotometry. J Anal Chem 2015;70:328-32.
28. Labhade SR, Labhade KR, Gaikwad VB. Simple and improved visible spectrophotometric method for determination of paracetamol using sodium nitroprusside chromogenic reagent. Chem Sci Trans 2015;4:377-88.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.