INCOME VULNERABILITY OF TEA GARDEN WORKERS IN BANGLADESH

  • IMAM UDDIN Department of Agricultural Economics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
  • SADIKA HAQUE Department of Agricultural Economics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
  • FAKIR AZMAL HUDA Department of Agricultural Economics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
  • ABDULLAH AL ZABIR Department of Agricultural Statistics, Sylhet Agricultural University, Sylhet, Bangladesh.
  • JANNATUL FERDOUS SONIA Department of Marketing and International Business, North South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Abstract

Objective: The aim of the study was the assessment of the income vulnerability of tea garden workers in Bangladesh.


Methods: Household surveys were used to collect data from tea workers. Sixty households were selected for the study and face-to-face interview was conducted to collect data. A random sampling technique was used to select the sample. Vulnerability assessment tools were used to assess the vulnerability to income. Regression analysis was employed to determine the factors affecting income vulnerability.


Results: The result of the study showed that 95% of workers out of the total sampled workers were high vulnerable, i.e., they have a greater probability to fall in future income vulnerability and only 5% had a low probability to fall. The exposure variables such as gender, education, family size, and expenditure had significant effect on tea workers to become income vulnerable, but the variables such as gender, family size, and expenditure had a negative relationship with the tea workers income vulnerability that means these variables had a significant effect to reduce income vulnerability of the tea garden workers. The acquisition value of livestock assets and access to credit as adaptive capacity had a negative and significant effect on the income vulnerability of tea workers. It can help to decrease the income vulnerability of tea garden workers.


Conclusion: The result suggests that special attention should be given for the improvement of the livelihood of tea workers.

Keywords: Income vulnerability, Tea garden worker, Tea, Poverty, Bangladesh

References

1. Kamruzzaman M, Parveen S, Das AC. Livelihood improvement of tea garden workers: A scenario of marginalized women group in Bangladesh. Asian J Agric Ext Econ Sociol 2015;7:1-7.
2. Ali M, Islam M, Saha N, Kanan AH. Effects of microclimatic parameters on tea leaf production in different tea estates in Bangladesh. World J Agric Sci 2014;10:134-5.
3. Amin A, Amin MA, Hossain Z. Bangladesh Paving the Way to Liberation. Bangladesh South Asia State of Minorities Report, Mapping the Terrain. Ch. 2. New Delhi: US Department of State; 2016.
4. International Labour Office. World Employment and Social Outlook 2015: The Changing Nature of Jobs. Geneva: International Labour Office; 2015.
5. Oldenziel J, Otten G. Sustainabilitea, the Dutch Tea Market and Corporate Social Responsibility. Amsterdam: SOMO-Centre for Research on Multinational Corporations; 2006.
6. Smit B, Wandel J. Adaptation, adaptive capacity and vulnerability. Glob Environ Change 2006;16:282-92.
7. Gallopin GC. Linkages between vulnerability, resilience and adaptive capacity. Glob Environ Change 2006;16:293-303.
8. Hossain SM. Wage Pattern and Livelihood of Tea Garden Laborer: A Study on Loobacherra Tea Estate, Kanaighat, Sylhet, Bangladesh, MS Thesis, MA in Governance and Development. Bangladesh: BRAC Institute of Governance and Development; 2015.
9. Chaudhuri S. Assessing Vulnerability to Poverty: Concepts, Empirical Methods and Illustrative Examples, Department of Economics. New York: University of Colombia; 2003.
10. Chaudhury S, Jalan J, Suryahadi A. Assessing Household Vulnerability to Poverty from Cross-sectional Data: A Methodology and Estimates from Indonesia, Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics. New York: Columbia University; 2002. p. 2-8.
11. World Bank. Talking on Inequality, Poverty and Shared Poverty. Washington, D.C: World Bank Group; 2016.
12. Health Bulletin. Government of People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Mohakhali, Dhaka: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; 2012.
13. Azam MS, Imai KS. Vulnerability and Poverty in Bangladesh. Manchester, UK: Economics, School of Social Sciences, University; 2009. p. 7-11.
Statistics
111 Views | 116 Downloads
How to Cite
UDDIN, I., HAQUE, S., HUDA, F. A., AL ZABIR, A., & SONIA, J. F. (2020). INCOME VULNERABILITY OF TEA GARDEN WORKERS IN BANGLADESH. Innovare Journal of Social Sciences, 1-4. Retrieved from https://innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ijss/article/view/36093
Section
Original Article(s)