Objective.Theaim of this study was to evaluate the association of the skeletal pattern and Angle class with the occlusal plane(OP). This study also examined the effect of the orthodontic treatment on this plane .
Methods.Lateral cephalometric radiographs of a sample of 135 patients were collected.The angles between the Franckfort horizontal(FH), palatal plane (PP) Mandibular plane (MP) and the occlusal plane (OP)wasanalyzed and compared between several groups and subsequently before and after treatment.
Results.The statistical comparison between 3 skeletal frame groups demonstrates that thecant of the OP showed a significant difference.This difference wasgreaterin class III subjects. Examination revealed that the OP was not meaningfullyaffected within the Angle classification.Statistically significant correlation was found between OP steepnessand the vertical skeletal pattern. A significant arise of OP/SN for class I (p=0.019) and II (p=0.015) after orthodontic treatment.Additionally, patients treated with elasticsshowed a significant decrease of OP/PMin Angle class IIIandconsiderable increase of OP/SN and OP/PP in Angle class II. Observations of the group treated with bimaxillary extractions showed that OP/SN and OP/PP differ in a significant way.
Conclusion This study confirmed the association between the skeletal pattern and the occlusal plane inclination in adults concerning the Angle classification, there was no significant difference between the groups.Orthodontic therapy had an influence on the inclination of this plane for the different malocclusions. Premolar extraction in class I cases significantly modified the occlusal plane. For class II and III malocclusions,theocclusalplaneinclinationwasmainlyalteredbytheuseofintermaxillarytractionelastics.
2.Tanaka EM, Sato S.Longitudinal alteration of the occlusal plane and development of different dentoskeletal frames during growth.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop2008; 134:602.e1-11.
3. Tovstein. BC.Behavior of the occlusal plane and related structures in the treatment of Class II malocclusion .Angle Orthod 1955; 25: 189-98.
4. ?elar A, Tafaj E, Graf A, Lettner S. Association of anterior and posterior occlusal planes with different Angle and skeletal classes in permanent dentitions: A lateral cephalometric radiograph study.J Orofac Orthop2018; 79: 267-76.
5. RaymondJL.Justification occlusale du traitement précoce de la classe III.Orthod Fr 2006; 77:207-12.
6.Trpkova B, Major P, Prasad N, Nebbe B.Cephalometric landmarks identification and reproducibility: a metaanalysis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1997;112: 165-70.
7.Shen YF, Hung CH.Evaluation of occlusal plane, ala-tragion line palatal plane and mandibular plane in Chinese. Changgeng Yi Xue Za Zhi, 1988; 11: 218-23.
8.Pyakurel U, Thapaliya KB, Singh K et al.Assessment of Palatal Plane and Occlusal Plane for Determining anteroposterior Jaw relation. J Nepal Med Assoc 2019 ;57: 3-7.
9. Braun S, Legan.Changes in occlusion related to the cant of the occlusal plane.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1997; 111: 184-8.
10.Keeling SD, Riolo ML, Martin RE, Ten Have TR.A multivariate approach to analyzing the relation between occlusion and craniofacialmorphology. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop, 1989; 95: 297-305.
11. SchudyFF.Cant of the occlusal plane and axial inclinations of teeth. Angle Orthod, 1963; 33: 69-82.
12. Deblock L, Weissenbach O.Relations céphalométriques du plan d’occlusion. Rev Orthop Dento Faciale, 1997, Vol. 31, pp. 393-402.
13. Kuntz M, Turlot JC, Hildwein M.The occlusal plane in Class I and Class II malocclusion: its relation to craniofacial variables.Orthod Fr 1988; 59:383-93
14. Oktay. H. A comparison of ANB, WITS, AF-BF, and APDI measurements. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1991; 99: 122-8.
15. JacobsonA.The “Wits” appraisal of jaw disharmony. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 1975; 67:125-38.
16.Fourquet L, Göttle M, Bounoure G.Finishes, stability and harmony.Orthod Fr 2014; 85: 93-125.
17.Yamaguchi K, Nanda RS.The effects of extraction and nonextraction treatment on the mandibular position.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 1991; 100: 443-52.
18.StallardH.The prevention of therapeutic premaxillary abstraction.Dent Cosmos, 1993; 75: 213-33.
19.Ellen EK, Schneider BJ, Sellke T.A comparative study of anchorage in bioprogressive versus standard Edgewise treatment inClasse II correction with intermaxillary elastic force. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1998;. 114: 430-6.
20.Nelson B, Hansen K, Hägg U.Overjet reduction and molar correction in fixed appliance treatment of classe II division 1, malocclusions:sagittal and vertical compenents. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1999; 115: 13-23.
21. Janson G, Sathler R, Fernandes TM, Branco NC, de Freitas MR.Correction of Class II malocclusion with Class II elastics: a systematic review. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2013; 143: 383-92.
22. EpsteinWN.Analysis of Changes In Molar Relationships By Means Of Extra-Oral Anchorage (Head-Cap) In Treatment Of Malocclusion1. Angle Orthod 1948; 18: 63-9.
23.Singh VP, Pokharel PR, Pariekh K, Roy DK, Singla A, Biswas KP.Elastics in orthodontics: A review. Health Renaissance 2012;10:49-56.
24.Reyes BC, Baccetti T,McNamara JA.An estimate of craniofacial growth in Classe IIImalocclusion.Angle Orthod 2006;76:577-84
25. Câmara CA, Martins RP.Functional Aesthetic Occlusal Plane (FAOP).Dental Press J Orthod 2016; 21:114-25 :
26.Uzuner FD, Aslan BI, Dinçer M.Dentoskeletal morphology in adults with Class I, Class II Division 1, or Class II Division2 malocclusion with increased overbite.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2019; 156: 248-56.
27.Olivi P, Cheynet F, Chossegros C, Blanc JL.Orientation du plan d’occlusion et récidive postopératoire des béances antérieures. Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillo-fac 2009; 110: 269-72.
28. Dougherty HL.The effect of mechanical forces upon the mandibular buccal segments during treatment objectives of Classe III. Am J Orthod, 1968; 54:83-103.
29. Baek SH, Ahn HW, Yang SD, Choi JY.Establishing the customized occlusal plane in systemized surgical. J Craniofac Surg, 2011; 22: 1708-13.
30.Antonarakis GS, Kiliaridis S, Scolozzi P.Orientation of the occlusal plane in a Class I adult population.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2013; 116: 35-40.
31. Do?an S, Ertürk N.Delaire’s architectural and structural cranio-facial analysis in cephalometric evaluation. Turk Ortodonti Derg, 1989;31: 393-402.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.