EFFECT OF THE KEPEL LEAVES EXTRACT (STELECHOCARPUS BURAHOL [BL.] HOOK. F. & TH.) ON SPRAGUE-DAWLEY RATS: AN ACUTE TOXICITY STUDY
Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate the acute effect of the Kepel leaves extract (Stelechocarpus burahol [Bl.] Hook. F. and Th.) after a single
dose oral treatment on the body weight and the organ of Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats.
Methods: This experiment was conducted based on the OECD-guideline 401-1999. A single oral dose of the Kepel leaves ethanol extract (0, 200,
585, 1711, and 5000 mg/kg body weight) were given to male and female SD rats (each group, n=6). The control group was only given the vehicle
(olive oil). The observation was done during 24 hrs and was continued until 14 days, because there was no death among the tested animals, included
the recording of the death of animal test, body weight, toxic signs, duration, and reversibility of the toxic effect. A half of the rats in each group were
sacrificed after 24 hrs observation, and remain of the animals were sacrificed after 14 days observation. The seven organs (kidney, lung, liver, spleen,
intestine, stomach, and heart) were taken from each animal for macroscopic and microscopic (histopathology) examination.
Results: The results showed that the acute toxicity potency of the ethanol extract of Kepel leaves was practically non-toxic, and the pseudo-lethal dose
of 50% (pseudo-LD
) value was higher than 5000 mg/kg body weight.
Conclusion: Based on the macroscopic and microscopic observation, it could be concluded that the ethanol extract of Kepel leaves did not induce the
toxic effect on the body weight and the organ of male and female SD rats.
Keywords: Stelechocarpus burahol (Bl.) Hook. F. and Th., Acute toxicity study, Body weight, Organ, Sprague-Dawley rat.
1. Susilowati I. Activity study of Kepel leaves (Stelechocarpus burahol
(BL) Hook.f. & Th). Yogyakarta: Ahmad Dahlan University; 2000.
2. Hening THM. Effect of infusa from Kepel leaves (Stelechocarpus
burahol (BL) Hook.f. & Th) to serum uric acid level on liver induced
chicken. Yogyakarta: Sanata Dharma University; 2002.
3. Sutomo. Degradation effect of the methanol extract of Kepel leaves
(Stelechocarpus burahol (BL) Hook.f. & Th) on the serum uric acid
of the hyperuricemic Braille chicken. Yogyakarta: Gadjah Mada
4. Purwantiningsih, Hakim AR, Purwantini I. Anti-hyperuricemic activity
of the kepel [Stelechocarpus burahol (Bl.) Hook. F. & Th.] leaves
extract and xanthine oxidase inhibitory study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci
5. Sunarni T, Pramono S, Asmah R. Antioxidantâ€“free radical scavenging
of flavonoid from The Leaves of Stelechocarpus burahol (Bl.) Hook.
F. & Th. Indones J Pharm 2007;18(3):111-6.
6. Kong LD, Yang C, Ge F, Wang HD, Guo YS. A Chinese herbal medicine
Ermiao wan reduces serum uric acid level and inhibits liver xanthine
dehydrogenase and xanthine oxidase in mice. J Ethnopharmacol
Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 9, Issue 1, 2016, 325-328
Purwantiningsih and Nurlaila
7. Owen PL, Johns T. Xanthine oxidase inhibitory activity of northeastern
North American plant remedies used for gout. J Ethnopharmacol
8. Ariningsih IA. Acute-oral toxicity study of the ethanolic extract of
Kepel leaves [Stelechocarpus burahol (Bl.) Hook. F. & Th.) on mice.
Yogyakarta: Sanata Dharma University; 2004.
9. Walum E. Acute oral toxicity. Environ Health Perspect
10. van den Heuvel MJ, Clark DG, Fielder RJ, Koundakjian PP, Oliver GJ,
Pelling D, et al. The international validation of a fixed-dose procedure
as an alternative to the classical LD
test. Food Chem Toxicol
11. Loomis TA. Essentials of Toxicology. 3
ed. Philadelphia: Lea &
12. World Health Organization (WHO). Research Guidelines for
Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of Herbal Medicines. Manila:
13. Ecobichon DJ. The Basis of Toxicity Testing. 2
ed. New York: CRC
14. Gad SC, Chengelis CP. Acute Toxicology Testing. 2
ed. San Diego,
California: Academic Press; 1998.
15. Abrams GD. Injury and death of cells, impaired circulation. In:
Price SA, Wilson LM, editors. Pathophysiology: Clinical Concepts
Disease Process. Translated by Anugerah P. Jakarta: EGC; 1995.
16. Underwood JC. General and Systematic Pathology. 2
by Sarjadi. Jakarta: EGC; 1994.
17. Robbins SL, Kumar V. Pathology Textbook I. 4
ed. Translated by
Oswari J. Jakarta: EGC; 1995.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.