SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF AMLODIPINE BESYLATE AND LOSARTAN POTASSIUM IN TABLET DOSAGE FORMS
Amlodipine (AML) besylate and losartan potassium (LSP) are used for the treatment of hypertension. A binary mixture of AML besylate and LSP was
determined by UV spectroscopic methods. The major aim of this research work was to develop simple, economical, accurate, and precise methods
for simultaneous estimation of AML and LSP in tablet dosage form. The method involved to solve simultaneous equations based on measurement of
absorbance at two wavelengths 240 nm (Î» max of AML) and 220 nm (Î» max of LSP). The two drugs followed beers-lamberts law over the concentration
range of 2 Î¼g/ml-30 Î¼g/ml for both the drugs (AML and LSP). The accuracy and precision of the methods were determined, and the methods validated
statically and this technique may be employed to analyze the drug containing AML besylate and LSP.
Keywords: Amlodipine besylate, Losartan potassium, UV spectroscopy, Simultaneous equation method.
Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. London, UK:
Wolters Kluwer; 2004. p. 631.
1. Indian Pharmacopoeia. Vol. II. New Delhi: Published by the Controller
of Publication; 2014. p. 1045-7.
3. Tripathi KD. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. 5th ed. New
Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2004. p. 496.
4.Garg G, Saraf S, Saraf S. Development and validation of simultaneous
estimation of enalapril maleate and amlodione besylate in combined
dosage forms. Trends Appl Sci Res 2008;3(3):278-84.
5. Indian Pharmacopoeia. Vol. II. New Delhi: Published by the Controller
of Publication; 2014. p. 2122-4.
6. Block JH, Beale JM, editors. Wilson and Grisvoldâ€™s Textbook Organic
Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. London, UK: Wolters
Kluwer; 2004. p. 648.
7. Tripathi KD. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. 5th ed. New Delhi:
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2004. p. 453-4.
8. Saravanan C, Srinivasan S, Narayanaswamy VB, Suresh S, Sivakuma T.
Analytical method development and validation of amlodipine besylate
and losartan potassium in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC method. Int
J Pharm Sci 2010;2(3):822-6.
9. Patil PR, Rakesh SU, Dhabale PN, Burade KB. Simultaneous UV
spectrophotometric method for estimation of losartan potassium
and amlodipine besylate in tablet dosage form. Asian J Res Chem
10. Patil PR, Rakesh SU, Dhabale PN, Burade KB. RP-HPLC method
for simultaneous estimation of Losartan potassium and amlodipine
besylate in tablet formulation. Int J ChemTech Res 2009;1(3):464-9.
11. Beckett AH, Stenlake JB. Practical Pharmaceutical Chemistry. 4th ed.,
Part 2. New Delhi: CBS Publishers & Distributors; 2004. p. 286-7.
12. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guidelines. Validation of Analytical
Procedures: Text & Methodology, Q2 (R); Nov, 2005.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.