ANTIHYPERLIPIDEMIC AND HEPATOPROTECTIVE STUDIES ON LEAVES OF MACARANGA TANARIUS
Objective: This Â study Â investigated Â the Â antihyperlipidemic Â and Â hepatoprotective Â effects Â of Â the Â hexane-ethanol Â fraction Â of Â methanol Â extract Â ofÂ Macaranga tanarius (HEM) in rats.
Methods: The hexane-ethanol fraction was screened for toxicity by oral acute toxicity study. The antihyperlipidemic effect of the hexane-ethanol fraction and the unsolved of the hexane-ethanol fraction is measured against Wistar rats induced by glucose-fructose diets for 42 days through measuring serum cholesterol, triglyceride (TG), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-c), low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-c), and fasting blood glucose. The hepatoprotective effect of the hexane-ethanol fraction is determined against Wistar rats with liver damage induced by carbon tetrachloride through measuring serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase (SGPT), serum glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase (SGOT), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), albumin, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), and total bilirubin.
Results: There is no toxic effect that was observed on acute toxicity study. The TG, LDL-c, and fasting blood glucose levels were significantly (p<0.05) reduced after both of treatment the hexane-ethanol fraction and the unsolved HEM. Administration of the hexane-ethanol fraction 68.6 mg/kgBW significantly (p<0.05) prevented elevation of SGPT, SGOT, LDH, ALP, and decreasing of albumin level.
Conclusion: The study showed antihyperlipidemic and hepatoprotective activities of the HEM in animal models.
Keywords: Macaranga tanarius, Antihyperlipidemic, Hepatoprotective.
2. Younossi ZM, Koenig AB, Abdelatif D, Fazel Y, Henry L, Wymer M, et al. Global epidemiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease-meta-analytic assessment of prevalence, incidence, and outcomes. Hepatology 2016;64(1):73-84.
3. Riordan JD, Nadeau JH. Modeling progressive non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the laboratory mouse. Mamm Genome 2014;25(9-10):473-86.
4. Jonnalagadda VG, Selkar NA, Vemula SK, Chawda MB, Thakur KS, Vahalia MK, et al. Abrogation of carbon tetrachloride (CCL4) induced hepatotoxicity by arogyavardhani in Wistar rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7(1):183-5.
5. Elliott SS, Keim NL, Stern JS, Teff K, Havel PJ. Fructose, weight gain, and the insulin resistance syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76(5):911-22.
6. Nugroho AE. Review: Animal model of diabetes mellitus: Pathology and mechanism of some diabetogenics. Biodiversitas 2006;7(7):378-82 (in Indonesian).
7. Saleh DO, El-Awdan SA, Nofel SM, El-Eraky WI, El-Khatib AS, Kenawy SA. Estrogens improve the cardiovascular alterations in fructose-induced insulin resistant ovariactoized rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(7):241-7.
8. Srivastava SP, Mishra A, Lakshmi V, Tamrakar AK, Srivastava MN, Srivastava AK. Antidiabetic and antidyslipemic activity of ethyl acetate fractions of xylocarpus granatum and xylocarpus molluccensis on high fructose high fat and high sucrose hig fat fed-low dosed streptozotocin treated diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(2):537-43.
9. Aligita W, Kurniati NF, Sukandar EY. Antidiabetic study of combination of Andrographis paniculata (Burm. F.) Wallich. Ex Ness. Herbs extract and Guazuma ulmifolia Lamk. Leaves extract in obese diabetic mice model. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(1):316-20.
10. Hendra P, Fenty, Julianus J. Evaluation of antidiabetic and antihuperlidemic activities of Macaranga tanarius in rats feed with high glucose-fructose diet. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(1):462-3.
11. Kumazawa S, Nakamura J, Murase M, Miyagawa M, Ahn MR, Fukumoto S. Plant origin of okinawan propolis: Honeybee behavior observation and phytochemical analysis. Naturwissenschaften 2008;95(8):781-6.
12. Lim TY, Lim YY, Yule CM. Evaluation of antioxidant and anti-tyrosinase activities of four Macaranga species. Food Chem 2009;114:594-9.
13. Po-Chuen S, Govindasamy A, Daih-Huang K. Evaluation of antioxidant polyphenols in Taiwanâ€™s medicinal plants. Asian J Chem 2009;21(7):5556-62.
14. Phommart S, Sutthivaiyakit P, Chimnoi N, Ruchirawat R, Sutthivaiyakit S. Constituents of the leaves of Macaranga tanarius. J Nat Prod 2005;68(6):927-30.
15. Matsunami K, Takamori I, Shinzato T, Aramoto M, Kondo K, Otsuka H, et al. Radical-scavenging activities of new megastigmane glucosides from Macaranga tanarius (L.) MÃœLL.-ARG. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2006;54(10):1403-7.
16. Matsunami K, Otsuka H, Kondo K, Shinzato T, Kawahata M, Yamaguchi K, et al. Absolute configuration of (+)-pinoresinol 4-O-[6â€- O-galloyl]-Î²-D-glucopyranoside, macarangiosides E, and F isolated from the leaves of Macaranga tanarius. Phytochemistry 2009;70(10): 1277-85.
17. Puteri MG, Kawabata J. Novel Î±-glucosidase inhibitors from Macaranga tanarius. Food Chem 2010;123:384-9.
18. Janakat S, Al-Merie H. Optimization of the dose and route of injection, and characterisation of the time course of carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in the rat. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 2002;48(1):41-4.
19. Panjaitan RGP, Handharyani E, Chairul, Masriani, Zakiah Z, Manalu W.
The effects of carbon tetrachloride administration on liver and renal function. Makara Kesehatan 2007;11(1):11-6 (in Indonesian).
20. Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Kumar TS, Gomathu P, Kumar RS. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of Bauhinia racemosa against paracetamol and carbon
tetrachloride induced liver damage in rats. Iran J Pharmacol Ther 2004;3(1):12-20.
21. Koyama T, Chounan R, Uemura D, Yamaguchi K, Yazawa K.
Hepatoprotective effect of a hot-water extract from the edible thorny oyster Spondylus varius on carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury in mice. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2006;70(3): 729-31.
22. Xu JY, Su YY, Cheng JS, Li SX, Liu R, Li WX, et al. Protective effects of fullerenol on carbon tetrachloride-induced acute hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity in rats. Carbon 2010;48:1388-96.
23. Bashandy SA, Al-Wasel SH. Carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity in rats: Protective role of Vitamin C. J Pharmacol Toxicol 2011; 6(3):283-92.
24. Nirmala M, Girija K, Lakshman K, Divya T. Hepatoprotective activity of Musa paradisiaca on experimental animal models. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2(1):11-15.
25. Arhoghro EM, Ekpo KE, Ibeh GO. Effect of aqueous extract of scent leaf (Ocimum gratissimum) on carbon tetrachloride (CCl ) induced liver damage in albino Wistar rats. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2009;3(11):562-7.
26. Pushplata C, Yadunath J, Ashish J. Protective effect of ethanol extract of Centaurea behen linn in carbon tetra chloride-induced hepatitis in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(8):197-200.
27. Dehar N, Walia, R, Verma RB, Pandey P. Hepatoprotective activity of Berberis aristata root extract against chemical induced acute hepatotoxicity in rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6 Supp 5:53-6.
28. Ahmed B, Alam T, Varshney M, Khan SA. Hepatoprotective activity of two plants belonging to the apiaceae and the Euphorbiaceae family. J Ethnopharmacol 2002;79(3):313-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.