A SUBCHRONIC TOXICITY TEST OF ETHANOL EXTRACT FROM TUNJUK LANGIT RHIZOME (HELMINTHOSTACHYS ZEYLANICA) ON ALBINO RATS, RATTUS NOVERTICUS (WISTAR STRAIN)
Objective: Traditionally, Tunjuk langit (Helmynthostachis zaylanica) rhizome has been used as anticancer and anti-inflammation drugs; however, it may have toxic effects on major organs for a long-term continuously consecutive consumption. Therefore, this study was carried out to test sub- chronic toxicity of the ethanol extract of the rhizome on Albino rats, Rattus noverticus (Wistar strain).Â
Methods: A total of 100 male and female rats were divided into five groups. Groups I, II, III, and IV were orally administered with ethanol extracts of 68, 136, 272, and 554 mg/kg body weight (BW), respectively. Meanwhile, Group V used as a control was no treatment with the extract. A toxic symptom has been observed by analyzing several parameters, namely BW, hematologic and biochemical properties, macroscopic organs, and relative organ weight.
Results: In general, the results show that there is no any toxic symptom and statistically insignificant differences in these parameters between treated and control groups.Â
Conclusion: We conclude that the ethanol extract of Tunjuk Langit rhizome does not have effects of subchronic toxicity.
Keywords: Tunjuk langit rhizome, Ethanol extract, Subchronic toxicity.
2. Chen CC, Huang YL, Yeh PY, Ou JC. Cyclized geranyl stilbenes from the rhizomes of Helminthostacys zeylanica. Planta Med
3. Fitrya, Anwar L, dan Eliza M. Ugonin J flavonoid from tunjuk langit (Helmynthostchys zeylanica) root extract. Indones J Chem Univ Gadjahmada 2010;10:226-31.
4. Muharniic F. Antioxidant Flavonoids from Tunjuk Langit (Helminthostachys zaylana), Proceeding of International Seminar Exploring Research Potentials, Palembang; 2011.
5. Huang YL, Yeh PY, Shen CC, Chen CC. Antioxidant flavonoids from the rhizomes of Helminthostachys zeylanica. Phytochemistry 2003;64(7):1277-83.
6. Huang YC, Hwang TL, Chang CS, Yang YL, Shen CN, Liao WY, et al.
Anti-inflamatory flavonoids from the rhizome of Helminthostachys zeylanica. Nat Prod 2009;72(7):1273-8.
7. Fitrya. Secondary metabolite from endophitic fungi cohlibulus lunatus of tunjuk langit (Helminthostachys zaylanica) rhizome. Indones J Chem 2013;13(3):193-8.
8. Suja SR, Latha PG, Pushpangadan P, Raasekharan S. Aphrodisiac property of Helminthostachys zaylanica in male mice. J Trop Med Plants 2002;3:191-5.
9. Suja SR, Latha PG, Pushpangadan P, Rajasekharan S. Evaluation of hepatoprotective effects of Helminthostachys zeylanica (L.) Hook against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage in Wistar rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;92(1):61-6.
10. Fitrya, Muharni. An antihyperuricemia effect of ethanol extract of tunjuk langit rhizome (Helminthostachys zaylanica Linn Hook) on Swiss furrow male mice. Traditional Med J 2014;19(1):4-18. Available from: https://www.jurnal.ugm.ac.id/TradMedJ/article/view/8085.
11. Departement Kesehatan RI. Pedoman pelaksanaan uji klinik obat tradisional. Direktorat Jenderal Pengawasan Obat dan Makanan. Direktorat Pengawasan Obat Tradisional. Jakarta: Departement Kesehatan RI; 2002.
12. Fitrya, Muharni. Standardisasi Ekstrak Aktif Akar Tunjuk Langit, Seminar Nasional Biodiversitas. Solo, Indonesia: Universitas Negeri Surakarta; 2013.
13. Ditjen POM Depkes RI. Parameter Standar Umum Ekstrak Tumbuhan Obat, Direktorat Jenderal Pengawasan Obat dan Makanan, Direktorat Pengawasan Obat Tradisional. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan; 2000.
14. Vilash V, Suja SR, Latha PG, Shine VJ, Sekharan SR. Chronic oral toxicity studies of ethanolic extract and ethanolic fraction extract of Pellionia Heyneana wedd. Leaf in Wistar rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci
15. El Hilaly J, Israili ZH, Lyoussi B. Acute and chronic toxicological studies of Ajuga iva in experimental animals. J Ethnopharmacol
16. Lewis RW, Billington R, Debryune E, Gamer A, Lang B, Carpanini F.
Recognition of adverse and nonadverse effects in toxicity studies. Toxicol Pathol 2002;30(1):66-74.
17. Mitruka BM, Rawnsley HM. Clinical Biochemical and Hematological Reference Values in Normal Experimental Animals and Normal Humans. 2nd ed. New York: Masson; 1981.
18. Suja SR, Latha PG, Pushpangadan P, Shine VJ, Anuja GI, Bijukumar BS. Evaluation of antihepatotoxic potential of Helminthostachys zeylanica (Linn.) Hook. f., A medicinal fern against ethanol induced liver damage: In vitro and in vivo studies. Am J Exp Biol 2014;1(1):16-30.
19. Lin YC, Huang YC, Chen SC, Liaw CC, Kuo SC, Huang LJ, et al.
Neuroprotective effects of ugonin K on hydrogen peroxide-induced cell death in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells. Neurochem Res
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.