ALTERATIONS OF LIPID PROFILE LEVELS IN 7,12-DIMETHYLBENZ(A)ANTHRACENE INDUCED ULCERATIVE COLITIS RAT MODEL
Objective: Ulcerative colitis is a type of inflammatory bowel disease is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder characterized by intestinal inflammation and mucosal tissue damage. We examined the lipid profile levels in murine model of 7,12 Dimethylbenz(a)anthracene induced ulcerative colitis.
Methods: Serum was separated from whole blood and was used to determine the lipid profile such as total cholesterol (TC), phospholipids (PL), triglycerides (TG), free fatty acids, high density lipoprotein (HDL-C) and low density lipoprotein (HDL-C).
Results: Ulcerative colitis rats exhibit low level of low density lipoprotein cholesterol and total cholesterol. No significant difference was observed in high density lipoprotein and triglycerides and significant difference was observed in phospholipids and free fatty acid serum levels. This communication highlights the lipid profile that occurs in ulcerative colitis.
Conclusion: This study, thus, provides valuable information about the disturbances in the lipids and lipoproteins occur in ulcerative colitis.
Keywords: Ulcerative colitis, 7,12-Dimethylbenz(a)anthracene, Lipoprotein, Low-density lipoprotein, Phospholipids.
2. Kornbluth A, Sachar DB; Practice Parameters Committee of the American College of Gastroenterology. Ulcerative colitis practice guidelines in adults (update): American College of Gastroenterology, Practice Parameters Committee. Am J Gastroenterol 2004;99(7):1371-85.
3. Sunyoung L, Michael C, Ilnaz S, Raghav B. Immune-mediated adalimumab-induced thrombocytopenia for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(7):456-8.
4. Pengkumsri N, Suwannalert P, Sivamaruthi BS, Wongpoomchai R, Sirisattha S, Tammasakchai A, et al. Molecular, histological and antioxidant evaluation of colitis induced in rats by different concentration of dextran sodium sulphate (5KDA). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(12):283-7.
5. Huang TY, Chu HC, Lin YL, Lin CK, Hsieh TY, Chang WK, et al. Mangiferin attenuates the symptoms of dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis inmiceviaNF-ÎºB and MAPK signalling in activation. Int Immunopharmacol 2009;237:60-82.
6. Krimsky M, Yedgar S, Aptekar L, Schwob O, Goshen G, Gruzman A, et al. Amelioration of TNBS-induced colon inflammation in rats by phospholipase A2 inhibitor. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2003;285(3):G586-92.
7. Ng SC, Tang W, Ching JY, Wong M, Chow CM, Hui AJ, et al. Incidence and phenotype of inflammatory bowel disease based on results from the Asia-pacific Crohnâ€™s and colitis epidemiology study. Gastroenterology 2013;145(1):158-65.e2.
8. Molodecky NA, Soon IS, Rabi DM, Ghali WA, Ferris M, Chernoff G, et al. Increasing incidence and prevalence of the inflammatory bowel diseases with time, based on systematic review. Gastroenterology 2012;142(1):46-54.e42.
9. Burtis CA, Ashwood ER, editors. Tietz Text book of Clinical Chemistry. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Company; 1999. p. 809-61.
10. Rouser G, Fkeischer S, Yamamoto A. Two dimensional then layer chromatographic separation of polar lipids and determination of phospholipids by phosphorus analysis of spots. Lipids 1970;5(5):494-6.
11. Rice EW. Triglycerides in serum. In: Roderick MP, editor. Standard Methods in Clinical Chemistry. New York: Academic Press; 1970. p. 215-22.
12. Hron WT, Menahan LA. A sensitive method for the determination of free fatty acids in plasma. J Lipid Res 1981;22(2):377-81.
13. Castelli WP, Doyle JT, Gordon T, Hames CG, Hjortland MC, Hulley SB, et al. HDL cholesterol and other lipids in coronary heart disease. The cooperative lipoprotein phenotyping study. Circulation 1977;55:767-72.
14. Sappati Biyyani RS, Putka BS, Mullen KD. Dyslipidemia and lipoprotein profiles in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. J Clin Lipidol 2010;4(6):478-82.
15. Romanato G, Scarpa M, Angriman I, Faggian D, Ruffolo C, Marin R, et al. Plasma lipids and inflammation in active inflammatory bowel diseases. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2009;29(3):298-307.
16. RipollÃ©s Piquer B, Nazih H, Bourreille A, Segain JP, Huvelin JM, Galmiche JP, et al. Altered lipid, apolipoprotein, and lipoprotein profiles in inflammatory bowel disease: Consequences on the cholesterol efflux capacity of serum using Fu5AH cell system. Metabolism 2006;55(7):980-8.
17. Koutroubakis IE, Malliaraki N, Vardas E, Ganotakis E, Margioris AN, Manousos ON, et al. Increased levels of lipoprotein (a) in Crohnâ€™s disease: A relation to thrombosis? Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2001;13(12):1415-9.
18. Lundin EA, Zhang JX, Lairon D, Tidehag P, Aman P, Adlercreutz H, et al. Effects of meal frequency and high-fibre rye-bread diet on glucose and lipid metabolism and ileal excretion of energy and sterols in ileostomy subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr 2004;58(10):1410-9.
19. Levy E, Rizwan Y, Thibault L, Lepage G, Brunet S, Bouthillier L, et al. Altered lipid profile, lipoprotein composition, and oxidant and antioxidant status in pediatric Crohn disease. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71(3):807-15.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.