AN UPDATE ON COAGULATING GLAND RENIN-ANGIOTENSIN-PROSTAGLANDIN SYSTEM: A NEW HYPOTHESIS ON ITS RENIN FUNCTION
After proper description of reproductive functions of rodent anterior prostate, coagulating gland (CG), by Moore and Gallagher in 1930, numerous papers have been published on this gland and its function in male fertility. It has also been known that it has a local renin-angiotensin system (RAS). But, the actual function of this system is not very clear, and even now-a-days, this gland is getting ignored in reproductive physiology research. Thus, this review article attempts to unearth the reproductive functions of this gland, with a hypothetical mechanism of CG renin function. We have reviewed the available literature published on this gland and correlated the fragmented information to unveil its importance. We have proposed a hypothetical mechanism (aided by self-designed schemes) of CG renin function along with its functional and structural aspects in reproductive physiology. Despite being ignored in modern research, CG has a very significant function in rodent reproduction and breeding. It has also a very significant role in regulation of local homeostasis by renin-angiotensin-prostaglandin system.
2. Sengupta P. The laboratory rat: Relating its age with humanâ€™s. Int J Prev Med 2013;4(6):624-30.
3. Chandra AK, Sengupta P, Goswami H, Sarkar M. Excessive dietary calcium in the disruption of structural and functional status of adult
male reproductive system in rat with possible mechanism. Mol Cell Biochem 2012;364(1-2):181-91.
4. Dutta S, Sengupta P. Men and mice: Relating their ages. Life Sci 2016;152:244-8.
5. Bhattarai T, Datta S, Chaudhuri P, Bhattacharya K, Sengupta P. Effect of progesterone supplementation on post-coital unilaterally
ovariectomized superovulated mice in relation to implantation and pregnancy. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7(1):29-31.
6. Hackenthal E, Paul M, Ganten D, Taugner R. Morphology, physiology, and molecular biology of renin secretion. Physiol Rev
7. Sugimura Y, Cunha GR, Donjacour AA. Morphogenesis of ductal networks in the mouse prostate. Biol Reprod 1986;34(5):961-71.
8. Adebayo OA, Akinloye AK, Ihunwo AO, Oke BO. The coagulating gland in the male greater cane rat (Thryonomys swinderianus):
Morphological and immunohistochemical features. Folia Morphol (Warsz) 2015;74(1):25-32.
9. Brandes D, Portela A. The fine structure of the epithelial cells of the mouse prostate. I. Coagulating gland epithelium. J Biophys Biochem
10. Badia E, Briz MD, Pinart E, Sancho S, Garcia N, Bassols J, et al. Structural and ultrastructural features of boar bulbourethral glands.
Tissue Cell 2006;38(1):7-18.
11. Esposito C, Mariniello L, Cozzolino A, Amoresano A, OrrÃ¹ S, Porta R. Rat coagulating gland secretion contains a kinesin heavy chain-like
protein acting as a Type IV transglutaminase substrate. Biochemistry 2001;40(16):4966-71.
12. Kon Y, Endoh D. Expression of renin in coagulating glands. Histol Histopathol 1996;11(1):257-66.
13. Yamashita S. Localization of estrogen and androgen receptors in male reproductive tissues of mice and rats. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol
14. Prins GS, Korach KS. The role of estrogens and estrogen receptors in normal prostate growth and disease. Steroids 2008;73(3):233-44.
15. Ricke WA, McPherson SJ, Bianco JJ, Cunha GR, Wang Y, Risbridger GP. Prostatic hormonal carcinogenesis is mediated by in situ
estrogen production and estrogen receptor alpha signaling. FASEB J 2008;22(5):1512-20.
16. Price D. Normal development of the prostate and seminal vesicles of the rat, with a study of experimental postnatal modifications. Am J Anat
17. Moore CR, Price D, Gallagher TF. Rat-prostate cytology as a testis hormone indicator, and the prevention of castration changes by testisextract injections. Am J Anat 1930;45(1):71-107.
18. Ortiz E, Price D, Williams-Ashman HG, Banks J. The influence ofandrogen on the male accessory reproductive system of the guinea pig:
Studies on growth, histological structure and fructose and citric acid secretion. Endocrinology 1956;59(4):479-92.
19. Scott JV, Dzunc PJ. Evaluation of the electroejaculation techniques and the spermatozoa thus obtained from rats, mice, and guinea pigs. Anat
20. Birnbaum D, Hall T. An electroejaculation technique for rats. Anat Rec 1961;140:49-50.
21. Mann T. Secretory function of the prostate, seminal vesicle and other male accessory organs of reproduction. J Reprod Fertil
22. Joshi MS, Yaron A, Lindner HR. Intrauterine gelation of seminal plasma components in the rat after coitus. J Reprod Fertil 1972;30(1):27-37.
23. Cukierski MA, Sina JL, Prahalada S, Robertson RT. Effects of seminal vesicle and coagulating gland ablation on fertility in rats. Reprod
24. Paris F, Weinbauer GF, BlÃ¼m V, Nieschlag E. The effect of androgens and antiandrogens on the immunohistochemical localization of the
androgen receptor in accessory reproductive organs of male rats. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 1994;48(1):129-37.
25. Sengupta P. Recent trends in male reproductive health problems. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7(2):1-5.
26. Chaudhuri P, Bhattacharya K, Sengupta P. Misty role of amygdala in female reproductive behavior. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(2):563-4.
27. Sengupta P, Banerjee R. Environmental toxins: Alarming impacts of pesticides on male fertility. Hum Exp Toxicol 2014;33(10):1017-39.
28. Sengupta P. Current trends of male reproductive health disorders and the changing semen quality. Int J Prev Med 2014;5(1):1-5.
29. Chandra AK, Goswami H, Sengupta P. Dietary calcium induced cytological and biochemical changes in thyroid. Environ Toxicol
30. Sigmund CD, Gross KW. Structure, expression, and regulation of the murine renin genes. Hypertension 1991;18(4):446-57.
31. Fabian JR, Kane CM, Abel KJ, Gross KW. Expression of the mouse Ren-1 gene in the coagulating gland: Localization and regulation. Biol
32. Deschepper CF, Mellon SH, Cumin F, Baxter JD, Ganong WF. Analysis by immunocytochemistry and in situ hybridization of renin and its
mRNA in kidney, testis, adrenal, and pituitary of the rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1986;83(19):7552-6.
33. Sengupta P. The bliss yoga inculcates during the different stages of pregnancy. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(10):86-7.
34. Tronik D, Ekker M, Rougeon F. Structural analysis of 5â€™-flanking regions of rat, mouse and human renin genes reveals the presence
of a transposable-like element in the two mouse genes. Gene 1988;69(1):71-80.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.