COMPARISON OF HERBAL MOUTHWASH WITH COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE 0.2% CHLORHEXIDINE AND 2% BETADINE MOUTHWASHES IN PATIENTS AFTER STAGE-1 IMPLANT SURGERY
Â Objective: The objective of the current study is to assess the antibacterial efficiency of an herbal mouthwash (clove and neem) against 0.2% chlorhexidine and 2% betadone mouthwash in patients who have undergone Stage-1 implant surgery.
Methods: 30 patients undergoing implant surgery (Stage-1) were divided into 3 groups and were given 3 different mouthwashes. The patient was recalled after 15 days. Swab samples from the site of implant were taken after 15 days and cultured. The results were tabulated.
Results: 0.2% chlorhexidine and 2% bernadine were found to have better antibacterial efficiency than herbal mouthwash (p>0.05).
Conclusion: The herbal mouthwash consisting of neem and clove was not efficient in killing microbes immediately after Stage-1 implant surgery when compared to 0.2% chlorhexidine and 2% bernadine.
2. BrÃ¥nemark PI, Svensson B, van Steenberghe D. Ten-year survival rates of fixed prostheses on four or six implants ad modum BrÃ¥nemark in full edentulism. Clin Oral Implants Res 1995;6(4):227-31.
3. Quirynen M, De Soete M, van Steenberghe D. Infectious risks for oral implants: A review of the literature. Clin Oral Implants Res 2002;13(1):1-19.
4. Scarano A, Piattelli M, Caputi S, Favero GA, Piattelli A. Bacterial adhesion on commercially pure titanium and zirconium oxide disks: An in vivo human study. J Periodontol 2004;75(1):292-6.
5. Pye AD, Lockhart DE, Dawson MP, Murray CA, Smith AJ. A review of dental implants and infection. J Hosp Infect 2009;72(2):104-10.
6. Zitzmann NU, Abrahamsson I, Berglundh T, Lindhe J. Soft tissue reactions to plaque formation at implant abutments with different surface topography. An experimental study in dogs. J Clin Periodontol 2002;29(5):456-1.
7. Subramani K, Jung RE, Molenberg A, Hammerle CH. Biofilm on dental implants: A review of the literature. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2009;24(4):616-26.
8. Shahabouee M, Rismanchian M, Yaghini J, Babashahi A, Badrian H, Goroohi H. Microflora around teeth and dental implants. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2012;9(2):215-20.
9. Alcoforado GA, Rams TE, Feik D, Slots J. Microbial aspects of failing Osseo integrated dental implants in humans. J Parodontol 1991;10(1):11-8.
10. Mombelli A, van Oosten MA, Schurch E Jr, Land NP. The microbiota associated with successful or failing Osseo integrated titanium implants. Oral Microbiol Immunol 1987;2(4):145-1.
11. Kritivasan S, Muralidharan NP. Antimicrobial activity of fruit juices on oral bacteria. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8(1):289-3.
12. Lavanya J, Selvam SP, Priya MJ, Jacinth AP, Aradana M. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of selected medicinal plants against human oral pathogens. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(9):71-8.
13. Singgih M, Damayanti S, Pandjaitan N. Antimicrobial activity of standardized Piper betel extract and its mouthwash preparation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(7):243-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.