FICUS CARICA AND ITS CONSTITUENTS ROLE IN MANAGEMENT OF DISEASES
Alternative medicines or formulation based on natural sources are good option in diseases cure and prevention. Ficus carica is member of Moraceae family and its health management properties have been mentioned in religious books and traditional medicines. It holds various constituents including phenolic compounds, minerals and vitamins and such ingredient shows role in disease cure. Studies based on in vivo and in vitro reported that figs fruits, stem, leaves, and latex have health management effect through antioxidant, anti-inflammatory effects, antimicrobial, anticarcinogenic, and anti-inflammatory effects. Moreover, an inverse correlation between figs use and development of disease has been noticed. Despite its implications in disease management, little is known about their mechanism of action. In this review, efforts are made based on in vivo and in vitro studies to illuminate the role of F. carica leaves and fruits in the prevention of diseases.
2. Rahmani AH, Al Shabrmi FM, Allemailem KS, Aly SM, Khan MA. Implications of green tea and its constituents in the prevention of cancer via the modulation of cell signalling pathway. Biomed Res Int 2015;2015:925640.
3. Anonymous. The Wealth of India. Vol. IV. New Delhi: National Institute of Science and Communication; 2002. p. 26-31.
4. Frodin DG. History and concepts of big plant genera. Taxon 2004;53:753-76.
5. Tous J, Ferguson L. Mediterranean fruits. In: Janick J, editor. Progress in New Crops, Arlington, VA, USA: SHS Press; 1996. p. 416-30.
6. Farooqi I. Ahadith Mein Mazkoor Nabatat, Adwiya Aur Ghizain. Urdu Bazar Lahore: Ilm-o-Irfan Pulishers; 1998. p. 151-2, 68.
7. Mohan GK, Pallavi E, Kumar BR, Ramesh M, Venkatesh S. Hepatoprotective activity of Ficus carica Linn leaf extract against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Daru 2007;15:162-6.
8. Kirthikar KR, Basu BD. Indian Medicinal Plants. 2nd ed. Vol. 3. India: International Book Distributors; 1996. p. 2329-31.
9. Nadkarni KM, Nadkarni AK. Indian Materia Medica. Vol. 1. India: Popular Prakashan; 1995. p. 545-7.
10. Mawa S, Husain K, Jantan I. Ficus carica L. (Moraceae): Phytochemistry, Traditional Uses and Biological Activities. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013;2013:8.
11. Ullman SB. The inhibitory and necrosis-inducing effects of the latex of Ficus carica L. on transplanted and spontaneous tumours. Exp Med Surg 1952;10(1):26-49.
12. Ullman SB, Clark GM, Roan KM. The effects of the fraction R3 of the latex of Ficus carica L. on the tissues of mice bearing spontaneous mammary tumors. Exp Med Surg 1952;10(4):287-305.
13. Chawla A, Kaur R, Sharma AK. Ficus carica Linn. A review on its pharmacognostic, phytochemical and pharmacological aspects. Int J Pharm Phytopharmacol Res 2012;1:215-32.
14. Josef B, Raj S. Pharmacognostic and phytochemical properties of Ficus carica Linn: An overview. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2011;3:8-12.
15. Oliveira AP, ValentÃ£o P, Pereira JA, Silva BM, Tavares F, Andrade PB. Ficus carica L.: Metabolic and biological screening. Food Chem Toxicol 2009;47(11):2841-6.
16. Gibernau M, Buser HR, Frey JE, Hossaert-McKey M. Volatile compounds from extracts of figs of Ficus carica. Phytochemistry 1997;46:241-4.
17. Solomon A, Golubowicz S, Yablowicz Z, Grossman S, Bergman M, Gottlieb HE, et al. Antioxidant activities and anthocyanin content of fresh fruits of common fig (Ficus carica L.). J Agric Food Chem 2006;54(20):7717-23.
18. Teixeira DM, PatÃ£o RF, Coelho AV, da Costa CT. Comparison between sample disruption methods and solid-liquid extraction (SLE) to extract phenolic compounds from Ficus carica leaves. J Chromatogr A 2006;1103(1):22-8.
19. Vaya J, Mahmood S. Flavonoid content in leaf extracts of the fig (Ficus carica L.), carob (Ceratonia siliqua L.) and pistachio (Pistacia lentiscus L.). Biofactors 2006;28(3-4):169-75.
20. Abu-Mustafa EA, Tawil E, Fayez E. Constituents of local plants-IV; Ficus carica L., F. sycomorus L. and F. salicofolia L. leaves. Phytochem 1964;3:701-3.
21. Ahmed W, Ahmed Z, Malik A. Triterpenes from the leaves of Ficus carica. Fitoterapia 1990;61:373-5.
22. Ã‡aliÅŸkan O, Polat AA. Phytochemical and antioxidant properties of selected fig (Ficus carica L.) accessions from the eastern Mediterranean region of Turkey. Sci Hortic 2011;128:473-8.
23. Jeong WS, Lachance PA. Phytosterols and fatty acids in fig (Ficus carica, var. Mission) fruit and tree components. Food Chem Toxicol 2001;66:278-81.
24. Rahmani AH, Albutti AS, Aly SM. Therapeutics role of olive fruits/ oil in the prevention of diseases via modulation of anti-oxidant, anti-tumour and genetic activity. Int J Clin Exp Med 2014;7(4):799-808.
25. Soni N, Mehta S, Satpathy G, Gupta RK. Estimation of nutritional, phytochemical, antioxidant and antibacterial activity of dried fig (Ficus carica). J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2014;3:158-65.
26. Yang XM, Yu W, Ou ZP, Ma HL, Liu WM, Ji XL. Antioxidant and immunity activity of water extract and crude polysaccharide from Ficus carica L. fruit. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 2009;64(2):167-73.
27. Park S, Han J, Im K, Whang WK, Min H. Antioxidative and anti-inflammatory activities of an ethanol extract from fig (Ficus carica) branches. Food Sci Biotechnol 2013;22:1071-5.
28. Patil VV, Patil VR. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of Ficus carica Linn. leaves. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2011;2:151-5.
29. Patil VV, Bhangale SC, Patil VR. Evaluation of anti-pyretic potential of Ficus carica leaves. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;2:48-50.
30. Hashemi SA, Abediankenari S, Ghasemi M, Azadbakht M, Yousefzadeh Y, Dehpour AA. The effect of fig tree latex (Ficus carica) on stomach cancer line. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2011;13(4):272-5.
31. Khodarahmi GA, Ghasemi N, Hassanzadeh F, Safaie M. Cytotoxic effects of different extracts and latex of Ficus carica L. on HeLa cell Line. Iran J Pharm Res 2011;10(2):273-7.
32. Rubnov S, Kashman Y, Rabinowitz R, Schlesinger M, Mechoulam R. Suppressors of cancer cell proliferation from fig (Ficus carica) resin: Isolation and structure elucidation. J Nat Prod 2001;64(7):993-6.
33. Tezcan G, Tunca B, Bekar A, Yalcin M, Sahin S, Budak F, et al. Ficus carica latex prevents invasion through induction of let-7d expression in GBM cell lines. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2015;35(2):175-87.
34. Hashemi A, Abediankenari S. Suppressive effect of fig (Ficus carica) latex on esophageal cancer cell proliferation. Acta Facultatis Med Naissensis 2013;30:93.
35. Ahmad MZ, Ali M, Mir SR. Anti-diabetic activity of Ficus carica L. stem barks and isolation of two new flavonol esters from the plant by using spectroscopical techniques Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2013;3:22-8.
36. Perez C, DomÃnguez E, Ramiro JM, Romero A, Campillo JE, Torres MD. A study on the glycaemic balance in streptozotocin-diabetic rats treated with an aqueous extract of Ficus carica (fig tree) leaves. Phytother Res 1998;10:82-3.
37. Gond NY, Khadabadi SS. Hepatoprotective Activity of Ficus carica leaf extract on rifampicin-induced hepatic damage in rats. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70(3):364-6.
38. Mujeeb M, Alam Khan S, Aeri V, Ali B. Hepatoprotective activity of the ethanolic extract of Ficus carica Linn. leaves in carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Iran J Pharm Res 2011;10(2):301-6.
39. Saoudi M, El Feki A. Protective role of Ficus carica stem extract against hepatic oxidative damage induced by methanol in male Wistar rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012;2012:8.
40. Aziz FM. Protective effects of latex of Ficus carica L. against lead acetate-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Jordan J Biol Sci 2012;5:175-82.
41. Asadi F, Pourkabir M, Maclaren R, Shahriari A. Alterations to lipid parameters in response to fig tree (Ficus carica) leaf extract in chicken liver slices. Turk J Vet Anim Sci 2006;3:315-8.
42. Hancock RE. Mechanisms of action of newer antibiotics for Gram-positive pathogens. Lancet Infect Dis 2005;5(4):209-18.
43. Aref HL, Salah KB, Chaumont JP, Fekih A, Aouni M, Said K. In vitro antimicrobial activity of four Ficus carica latex fractions against resistant human pathogens (antimicrobial activity of Ficus carica latex). Pak J Pharm Sci 2010;23(1):53-8.
44. Jeong MR, Kim HY, Cha JD. Antimicrobial activity of methanol extract from Ficus carica leaves against oral bacteria. J Bacteriol Virol 2009;39:97-102.
45. Camero M, Marinaro M, Lovero A, Elia G, Losurdo M, Buonavoglia C, et al. In vitro antiviral activity of Ficus carica latex against caprine herpesvirus-1. Nat Prod Res 2014;28(22):2031-5.
46. Mostafaie A, Mansouri K, Norooznezhad A, Mohammadi-Motlagh H. Anti-angiogenic activity of Ficus carica latex extract on human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Cell J Yakhteh 2011;12:525-8.
47. Ghambarali Z, Bidmeshkipouri A, Akrami H, Azdbakht M, RabziaIndian A. Ethanolic extract of Ficus carica leave suppresses angiogenesis by regulating VEGF-A and integrin Î²3 mRNA expression in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. J Physiol Pharmacol 2014;58:407-15.
48. Eteraf-Oskouei T, Allahyari S, Akbarzadeh-Atashkhosrow A, Delazar A, Pashaii M, Gan SH, et al. Methanolic extract of Ficus carica Linn. leaves exerts antiangiogenesis effects based on the rat air pouch model of inflammation. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2015;2015:760405.
49. Gilani AH, Mehmood MH, Janbaz KH, Khan AU, Saeed SA. Ethnopharmacological studies on antispasmodic and antiplatelet activities of Ficus carica. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;119(1):1-5.
50. Patil VS, Bhangale SC, Patil VR. Studies on immunomodulatory activity of Ficus carica. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:97-9.
51. De Amorin A, Borba HR, Carauta JP, Lopes D, Kaplan MA. Anthelmintic activity of the latex of Ficus species. J Ethnopharmacol 1999;64(3):255-8.
52. Liu F, Yang Z, Zheng XM, Luo S, Zhang K, Li G. Nematicidal coumarin from F. carica L. J Asia Pac Entomol 2011;14:79-81.
53. Subash S, Essa MM, Braidy N, Al-Jabri A, Vaishnav R, Al-Adawi S, et al. Consumption of fig fruits grown in Oman can improve memory, anxiety, and learning skills in a transgenic mice model of Alzheimerâ€™s disease. Nutr Neurosci 2016;19(10):475-483.
54. Essa MM, Subash S, Akbar M, Al-Adawi S, Guillemin GJ. Long-term dietary supplementation of pomegranates, figs and dates alleviate neuroinflammation in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimerâ€™s disease. PLoS One 2015;10(3):e0120964.
55. Naghdi M, Maghbool M, Seifalah-Zade M, Mahaldashtian M, Makoolati Z, Kouhpayeh SA, et al. Effects of common fig (Ficus carica) leaf extracts on sperm parameters and testis of mice intoxicated with formaldehyde. Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2016;2016:9.
56. Palaniyappan V, Bommireddy EP, Gudipudi H, Chitturi RD, Yandamala N. In vivo fertility enhancing activity (Aphrodisiac) of Ficus carica fruit on male wistar rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:516-8.
57. Vidya S, Ramesh A, Rajashekar G, Meghana D, Nazeer SK. The nephroprotective activity of methanolic extracts of leaves against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in experimental rodents. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5(4):209-13.
58. Geetha K, Ramarao N, Sindhu B, Rao BU. Nephroprotective, nephrocurative activity of Mimosa pudica root against gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(4):173-7.
59. Rahmani AH, Aldebasi YH. Potential role of Carica papaya and their active constituents in the prevention and treatment of diseases. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(1):11-5.
60. Kore KJ, Shete RV, Borade AS. Protective role of hydroalcoholic extract of Ficus carica in gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2011;2:978-82.
61. Park YR, Eun JS, Choi HJ, Nepal M, Kim DK, Seo SY, et al. Hexane-soluble fraction of the common fig, Ficus carica, inhibits osteoclast differentiation in murine bone marrow-derived macrophages and raw 264.7. Korean J Physiol Pharmacol 2009;13:417-24.
62. Allahyari S, Delazar A, Najafi M. Evaluation of general toxicity, anti-oxidant activity and effects of Ficus carica leaves extract on ischemia/ reperfusion injuries in isolated heart of rat. Adv Pharm Bull 2014;4 Suppl 2:577-82.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.