PREVALANCE OF MALE INFERTILITY IN INDIA: STUDIES ON THE EFFECTS OF GONADOTROPIN RELEASING HORMONES
Objective: Nowadays, there is an increased incidence of infertility in Indian males due to lifestyle changes. Hence, the objective of this study isevaluating the gonadotropin releasing hormones (GnRH) level in infertile young male in Indian population.
Materials and Methods: In total, 56 patients having abnormal semen count and five control patients have been included in the study. All patientswere underwent sperm count and estimation of hormones includes GnRH such as follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), tri-iodothyronine, thyroxin,prolactin, and testosterone.
Results: The sperm concentration of infertile men was significantly lower than control. Sperm motility behaviors rapid, sluggish, and non-motilecharacters were significantly lower than control. Among GnRH, FSH has been significantly higher in infertile group than control group.
Conclusion: FSH may be considered as a marker for male infertility.
2. George SS, Fernandes HA, Irwin C, Chandy A, George K. Factors predicting the outcome of intracytoplasmic sperm injection for
infertility. Natl Med J India 2003;16(1):13-5.
3. Sigman M, Lipshultz LI, Howards SS. Evaluation of the subfertile male. In: Lipshultz LI, Howards SS, editors. Infertility in the Male. St. Louis, Missouri: Mosby-Year Book; 1997. p. 173.
4. Zargar AH, Wani AI, Masoodi SR, Laway BA, Salahuddin M.Epidemiologic and etiologic aspects of primary infertility in the
Kashmir region of India. Fertil Steril 1997;68:637-43.
5. Irvine DS. Epidemiology and aetiology of male infertility. Hum Reprod 1998;13 Suppl 1:33-44.
6. Dabaja AA, Schlegel PN. Medical treatment of male infertility. Transl Androl Urol 2014;3(1):9-16.
7. World Health Organization. Infecundity, Infertility, and Childlessness in Developing Countries. DHS Comparative Reports No 9. Calverton,
Maryland, USA: ORC Macro and the World Health Organization;2004.
8. World Health Organization. WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Sperm Cervical Mucus Interaction.
5th ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2010.
9. Zabul J, Mierzejewski W, Rogoza A. Usefulness of examining gonadotropin hormones and testosterone in men with abnormal semen.Ginekol Pol 1994;65(2):71-4.
10. Sultan C, Craste de Paulet B, Audran F, Iqbal Y, Ville C. Hormonal evaluation in male infertility. Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 1985;43(1):63-6.
11. Hopkinson CR, Mauses J, Schenk B, Flitze E, Hauser CH. Some interrelationship between plasma levels of LH, FSH, oestradiol-17B, androgens and semen analysis data in male infertility patients.Andrologia 1977;9:216.
12. de Kretser DM. Elevated levels of serum FSH and LH with increasing severity of seminiferous epithelial damage. Clin Obstet Gynaecol
13. Al-Hakeim HK, Jebur IM, Alkhafaji RS. Serum anti-zona pellucid antibodies level is correlated with estradiol level in women with in vitro fertilization failure. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(5):41-4.
14. Sardjono RK, Pradipta V, Musthapa I. The effect of Indonesian velvet bean extract on the fertility of albino male mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(8):103-6.
15. Bergmann M, Behre HM, Nieschlag E. Serum FSH and testicular morphology in male infertility. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1994;40(1):133-6.
16. Yaman O, Ozdiler E, SeÃ§kiner I, GÃ¶gÃ¼s O. Significance of serum FSH levels and testicular morphology in infertile males. Int Urol Nephrol 1999;31(4):519-23.
17. Weinbauer GF, Nieschlag E. Gonadotropin control of testicular germ cell development. Adv Exp Med Biol 1995;317:55-65.
18. Subhan F, Tahir F, Ahmad R, Khan ZD. Oligospermia and its relation with hormonal profile. J Pak Med Assoc 1995;45(9):246-7.
19. Anderson RA, Wallace EM, Groome NP, Bellis AJ, Wu FC.Physiological relationships between inhibin B, follicle stimulating hormone secretion and spermatogenesis in normal men and response to gonadotrophin suppression by exogenous testosterone. Hum Reprod
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.