ARISTOLOCHIA BRACTEOLATA â€“ ANTIHYPERGLYCEMIC AND ANTIHYPERLIPIDEMIC ACTIVITY IN DEXAMETHASONE-INDUCED DIABETIC RAT MODEL
Â Objective: The present study was aimed to evaluate antihyperglycemic and antihyperlipidemic activities of methanolic extract of Aristolochia bracteolata (MEAB) against dexamethasone-induced diabetic rat model.
Methods: Methanolic extract was prepared by soxhlet extraction and was evaluated for antihyperglycemic and antihyperlipidemic activity using dexamethasone-induced model. The MEAB was administered orally at a dose of 200 and 400 mg/kg body weight glibenclamide was used as standard drug. On 0th and 11th day, blood was collected by retro-orbit plexus.
Results: In this model blood glucose levels were determined on 0th and 11th days and MEAB significantly reduced the blood glucose levels in diabetic rats. The effect of MEAB on serum lipid profile such as total cholesterol (TC), triglycerides (TGs), low-density lipoprotein (LDL), very LDL (VLDL), and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) was also measured on the 11th day in the diabetic rats. Significant reduction in TC, TGs, LDL, and VLDL levels and improvement in HDL level were observed in diabetic rats.
Conclusion: From the results, it was found that the MEAB possess antihyperglycemic and antihyperlipidemic activities.
2. Whiting DR, Guariguata L, Weil C, Shaw J. IDF diabetes atlas: Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2011;94(3):311-21.
3. Reddy NV, Raj GB, Raju M, Anarthe SJ. Antihyperlipidemic activity of Cassia fistula bark using high fat diet induced hyperlipidemia. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(10):61-4.
4. Prout TE, Malaisse WJ, Pirart J. Proceedings VIII Congress of International Diabetes Federation. Amsterdam: Excerpta Medica; 1974. p. 162.
5. Ravi K, Rajasekaran S, Subramanian S. Antihyperlipidemic effect of Eugenia jambolana seeds kernel on streptozotocin-induced in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2005;3:1433-9.
6. Soltani N, Keshavarz M, Dehpour AR. Effect of oral magnesium sulfate administration on blood pressure and lipid profile in streptozotocin diabetic rat. Eur J Pharmacol 2007;560:205-51.
7. Rajasekaran S, Ravi K, Sivagnanam K, Subramanian S. Beneficial effects of Aloe veraleaf gel extract on lipid profile status in rats with streptozotocin diabetes. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2006;33(3):232-7.
8. Galuppo M, Giacoppo S, Bramanti P, Mazzon E. Use of natural compounds in the management of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Molecules 2014;19(3):2877-95.
9. Thirumal M, Vadivelan R, Kishore G, Brahmaji VS. Aristolochia bracteolata: An overview on pharmacognostical, phytochemical and pharmacological properties. Crit Rev Pharm Sci 2012;1(1):70-82.
10. Devi KB, Kanimozhi S, Suganyadevi P. Phytochemical screening and biological property of Aristolochia bracteolata. J Pharm Res 2011;4(5):1509-14.
11. Khandelwal KR. Practical Pharmacognosy Techniques and Experiments. Pune: Nirali Prakashan; 2005. p. 30-149.
12. OECD. Guideline for Testing of Chemicals No. 425. Paris: OECD; 2001. p. 1-26.
13. Paramesha B, Kumar VP, Ramudu B, Manasa K, Tamilanban T. Antidiabetic and hypolipidaemic activity of Ceiba pentandra, Amaranthus viridis and their combination on dexamethasone induced diabetic Swiss albino rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(4):242-6.
14. Azeez OH, Kheder AE. Effect of Gundelia tournefortii on some biochemical parameters in dexamethasone-induced hyperglycemic and hyperlipidemic mice. Iraqi J Vet Sci 2012;26(2):73-9.
15. Reddy NV, Aveti S, Anjum M, Raju MG. Anti-hyperlipidemic activity of methanolic extract of Syzygium alternifolium bark against high-fat diet and dexamethasone-induced hyperlipidemia in rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8(6):165-8.
16. Velmurugan C, Anurag B, Kumar TS, Sharma S. Antihyperglycemic and hypolipidemic activity of leaves of Gossypium herbaceum by dexamethasone induced diabetic rat model. Int J Res Pharm Nano Sci 2013;2(2):169-76.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.