A COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW ON BARLERIA PRIONITIS (L.)
Barleria prionitis is a famous perennial plant commonly known as porcupine flower or Vajradanti. It is a shrub with yellow flowers and two flat seeds shielded with matted hairs, inhabit most parts of India. Various parts of the plant such as leaves, roots, aerial parts, flowers, and stems are used in the traditional system of medicine. Conventionally, various infusions are prepared using the plant parts and utilized for the treatment of different kinds of diseases. Owing to its incredible odontalgic property, it is extensively used in treating bleeding gums and toothache. From the pharmacological point, the plant has been effectively screened for antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antifertility, antioxidant, enzyme inhibitory, hepatoprotective, antihypertensive, anticancer, and anticataract activities. Compounds such as tannins, saponins, glycosides, phenolic acids, phytosterols, and terpenes have been identified in the plant. The plant contains some specific compounds such as barlenoside, barlerine, acetylbarlerine, and balarenone and some common secondary metabolites such as lupeol, Î²-sitosterol, vanillic acid, and syringic acid. This review provides morphological, ethnomedical, pharmacological, and phytochemical data of the plant B. prionitis.
2. Vasoya U. Pharmacognostical and physicochemical studies on the leaves of Barleria prionitis (L). Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3(7):2291.
3. Sharma P, Shrivastava B, Sharma GN, Jadhav HR. Phytochemical and ethenomedicinal values of Barleria prionitis L: An overview. J Harmonized Res Pharm 2013;2(3):190-9.
4. Jain S, Jain R, Singh R. Ethnobotanical survey of Sariska and Siliserh regions from Alwar district of Rajasthan, India. Ethnobot Leafl 2009;1:21.
5. Shendage SM, Yadav SR. Revision of the genus Barleria (Acanthaceae) in India. Rheedea 2010;20(2):81-130.
6. Shukla P, Singh A, Gawri S, Alexande A, Sonwane S. In vitro propagation of Barleria prionitis Linn and its antibacterial activity. Int J Pharm Prof Res 2011;2:198-200.
7. Khare CP. Indian Medicinal Plants: An Illustrated Dictionary. 1st ed. New York: Springer Sciences; 2007. p. 82-3.
8. Chopra RN, Nayar SL, Chopra IC. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants. New Delhi: CSIR; 1956. p. 33-4.
9. Ambasta SP. The Useful Plants of India. New Delhi: CSIR; 1986.
10. Bhalla NP, Sahu TR, Mishra GP, Dakwala RN. AQ5 ???. J Econ Taxon Bot 1992;3:23.
11. Jain SK, Defillips RA. Medicinal Plants of India. New Delhi: CSIR; 1991.
12. Patel BK, Chandel BS, Chauhan HC, Patel KB, Parth FM, Patel MV, et al. Evaluation of antibacterial activities of Barleria prionitis Linn. Afr J Microbiol Res 2015;9 Suppl 30:1840-8.
13. Kumar U, Ahmed F, Khanojia P, Kukreja K, Kumari S, Bhat RA. Exploration of antioxidant and antibacterial activity of Barleria prionitis Linn. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2013;2(12):585-91.
14. Aiswarya T, Ravikumar R. A comparitive study on phytochemical analysis, antibacterial activity and antioxidant activity of Barleria prionitis leaves extract of petroleum ether and ethanol extract. Int J Chemtech Res 2014;6 Suppl 5:3025-33.
15. Kalhari KS, Zahida S, Udenigwea CC, Akhtara S, Ata A, Samarasekera R. Glutathione S-transferase, acetylcholinesterase inhibitory and antibacterial activities of chemical constituents of Barleria prionitis. Z Naturforsch 2007;62(b):580-6.
16. Aneja KR, Joshi R, Sharma C. Potency of Barleria prionitis L, bark extracts against oral diseases causing strains of bacteria and fungi of clinical origin. N Y Sci J 2010;3:5-12.
17. Khare D, Tiwari KL. Effect of leaf exudates and leaf tissue sap of Barleria prionitis L, on spore germination of some spices of anamorphic fungi. Int J Res Eng Appl Sci 2016;6(4):1-7.
18. Chen JL, Blanc P, Stoddart CA, Bogan M, Rozhon EJ, Parkinson N, et al. New iridoids from the medicinal plant Barleria prionitis with potent activity against respiratory syncytial virus. J Nat Prod 1998;61:1295-7.
19. Kaur R, Kaur G, Kapoor A. Preliminary phytochemical screening and in vitro anthelmintic activity of whole plant extracts of Barleria prionitis Linn, against earth worms: Pheretima posthuma. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4 Suppl 7:1340-7.
20. Chavana CB, Hogadeb MG, Bhingea SD, Kumbhara M, Tamboli A. In vitro anthelmintic activity of fruit extract of Barleria prionitis Linn, against Pheretima posthuma. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2(3):49-50.
21. Gupta RS, Kumar P, Dixit VP, Dobhal MP. Antifertility studies of the root extract of the Barleria prionitis Linn in male albino rats with special reference to testicular cell population dynamics. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;70:111-7.
22. Pradhan DK, Mishra MR, Mishra A, Panda AK, Behera R, Jha S, et al. A comprehensive review of plants used as contraceptives. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;4:148-55.
23. Ravichandran V, Arunachalam G, Subramanian N, Suresh B. Contraception and its significance in traditional system of medicines. Int J Pharm Sci 2009;1 Suppl 1:1-21.
24. Kaur R, Sharma A, Kumar R, Kharb R. Rising trends towards herbal contraceptives. J Nat Prod Plant Resour 2011;1(4):5-12.
25. Singh K, Gupta RS. Antifertility activity of Î²-sisolated from Barleria prionitis (l), roots in male albino rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(5):88-96.
26. Sharma P, Sharma GN, Shrivastava B, Jadhav HR. Evaluation of antioxidant potential of Barleria prionitis Leaf and stem. Am J Phytomed Clin Ther 2014;2(11):1177-86.
27. Kapoor A, Shukla S, Kaur R, Kumar R, Lehra KS, Kapoor S. Preliminary phytochemical screening and antioxidant activity of whole plant of Barleria prionitis Linn. Int J Adv Pharm Biol Chem 2014;3(2):410-9. 28. Chetan C, Suraj M, Maheshwari C, Rahul A, Priyanka P. Screening of antioxidant activity and phenolic content of whole plant of Barleria prionitis Linn. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2011;2(4):1313.
29. Ata A, Bosch SA, Harwanik DJ, Pidwinski GE. Glutathione S-transferase and acetylcholinesterase-inhibiting natural products from medicinally important plants. Pure Appl Chem 2009;79:2269-76.
30. Dheer R, Bhatnagar P. A study of the antidiabetic activity of Barleria prionitis Linn. Indian J Pharmacol 2010;42(2):70.
31. Geetha M, Wahi AK. Antidiabetic activity of Barleria prionitis Linn. J Nat Remedies 2001;1(1):64-6.
32. Atif M, Rahman SA, Ahmed MI, Mahmood SB, Azharuddin M. Anticataract potential of Barleria prionitis, in vivo study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(2):100-5.
33. Kinjavadekara RS, Sangraha A. Astanga Sangraha (M). New Delhi: Uppal Publishing House; 1998.
34. Khadse CD, Kakde RB. Anti-inflammatory activity of aqueous extract fractions of Barleria prionitis L, roots. Asian J Plant Sci Res 2011;1(2):63-8.
35. Singh B, Bani S, Gupta DK, Chandan BK, Kaul A. Anti-inflammatory activity of TAF an active fraction from the plant Barleria prionitis Linn. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;85(2-3):187-93.
36. Singh K, Kaur R, Singh S, Bajwa BS, Prasad DN. Anti-inflammatory activity of Barleria prionitis Linn. J Nat Remedies 2013;13(1):1-3.
37. Marya BH, Bothara SB. Investigation of antihypertensive activity of leaves of Barleria prionitis, in doca salt induced hypertensive rats. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;18(2):17-9.
38. Sawarkar HA, Kashyap PP, Pandey AK, Singh MK, Kaur CD. Antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities of Barleria prionitis and Barleria grandiflora: A comparative study. Bangladesh J Pharmacol 2016;11:802-9.
39. Ganesan R, Venkatanarasimhan M, Elankani P, Shakila R, Ponniahsamy. Cytotoxic studies on selected siddha plants. World J Pharm Sci 2015;3(9):1872-6.
40. Singh B, Chandan BK, Prabhakar A, Taneja SC, Singh J, Qazi GN. Chemistry and hepatoprotective activity of an active fraction from Barleria prionitis Linn, in experimental animals. Phytother Res 2005;19(5):391-404.
41. Gangopadhyay A, Malakar J, Ghosh A, Deb J, Dey S, Datta S, et al. The central nervous system activity of Barleria prionitis Linn, on the locomotor activity of Swiss albino mice using actophotometer. Int J Pharm Biol Sci Arch 2012;3(2):403-5.
42. Choudhary M, Kumar V, Gupta PK, Singh S. Anti-arthritic activity of Barleria prionitis Linn, leaves in acute and chronic models in Sprague Dawley rats. Bull Fac Pharm Cairo Univ 2014;52(2):199-209.
43. Jeyasankar A, Premalatha S, Krishnappa K, Elumalai K. Larvicidal activity of Barleria prionitis L (Acanthaceae) against Japanese encephalitis vector, Culex tritaeniorhynchus giles (Diptera: Culicidae). Int J Inf Res Rev 2013;1(2):116-20.
44. Maji AK, Bhadra S, Mahapatra S, Banerji P, Banerjee D. Mast cell stabilization and membrane protection activity of Barleria prionitis L. Pharmacogn J 2011;3 Suppl 24:67-71.
45. Ata A, Kalhari KS, Samarasekera R. Chemical constituents of Barleria prionitis and their enzyme inhibitory and free radical scavenging activities. Phytochem Lett 2009;2 Suppl 1:37-40.
46. Daniel M, Sabnis SD. Chemosystematics of some Indian members of the Acanthaceae proc. Indian Acad Sci Plant Sci 1987;97:315.
47. Daniel M. Medicinal Plants: Chemistry and Properties. 1st ed. USA: Science Publishers; 2006.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.