STUDY THE POTENTIAL ANTIOXIDANT EFFECT OF VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENTATION ON THE LEVEL OF EXTRACELLULAR SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE IN ASTHMATIC PATIENTS
Objective: This study was designed to evaluate the potential antioxidant effect of vitamin D3 supplementation in chronic asthma patients.
Methods: A total of 44 candidate patients were diagnosed with asthma allocated as Group 1 includes 20 patients assigned to receive conventional therapy for asthma and Group 2 includes 24 patients assigned to receive conventional therapy for asthma plus 2000 IU vitamin D3 tablet for 3-month period. Furthermore, 30 apparently healthy subjects were included in the study as a control group. Pulmonary function test, serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels, serum extracellular superoxide dismutase (SOD3) levels were measured before and after 3 months therapy.
Results: The mean forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1) both the measured and the percentage of predicted value showed a highly significant increase after 3 months treatment compared to pre-treatment value in both study groups (p<0.01). When compared to pre-treatment value, there was no significant increase in forced expiratory volume in one second to forced vital capacity ratio (FEV1/FVC) in Group 1 (p>0.05), nevertheless, Group 2 showed highly significant increase after 3 months (p<0.01). Approximately, 90-96% of adult asthmatic patients revealed vitamin D deficiency (<20 ng/ml). Post-treatment with adjuvant vitamin D3 therapy, 25% of patients obtained acceptable level of vitamin D sufficiency (â‰¥30 ng/ml). After 3 months of the treatment, Group 1 patients showed a significant decrease in mean SOD3 level compared to pre-treatment level (p<0.05), while Group 2 patients showed a significant increase in mean SOD3 level compared to pre-treatment level (p<0.05).
Conclusion: Most of the asthmatic patients revealed vitamin D deficiency and supplementation with vitamin D3 reduce oxidative stress burden in those patients.
2. Barnes PJ. Pathophysiology of asthma. ERS J 2003;23:84-113.
3. Montuschi P, Corradi M, Ciabattoni G, Nightingale J, Kharitonov SA, Barnes PJ. Increased 8-isoprostane, a marker of oxidative stress, in exhaled condensates of asthmatic patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;160(1):216-20.
4. Paredi P, Kharitonov SA, Barnes PJ. Elevation of exhaled ethane concentration in asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000;162:1450-4.
5. Rai RR, Phadke MS. Plasma oxidant-antioxidant status in different respiratory disorders. Indian J Clin Biochem 2006;21(2):161-4.
6. Bowler RP, Crapo JD. Oxidative stress in allergic respiratory diseases. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002;110(3):349-56.
7. Wright DT, Fischer BM, Li C, Rochelle LG, Akley NJ, Adler KB. Oxidant stress stimulates mucin secretion and PLC in airway epithelium via a nitric oxide-dependent mechanism. Am J Physiol 1996;271:L854 61. 8. Comhair SA, Ricci KS, Arroliga M, Lara AR, Dweik RA, Song W, et al. Correlation of systemic superoxide dismutase deficiency to airflow obstruction in asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;172(3):306-13.
9. Comhair SA, Xu W, Ghosh S, Thunnissen FB, Almasan A, Calhoun WJ, et al. Superoxide dismutase inactivation in pathophysiology of asthmatic airway remodeling and reactivity. Am J Pathol 2005;166(3):663-74.
10. Comhair SA, Bhathena PR, Dweik RA, Kavuru M, Erzurum SC. Rapid loss of superoxide dismutase activity during antigen-induced asthmatic response. Lancet 2000;355:624.
11. Bowler RP, Crapo JD. Oxidative stress in airways: Is there a role for extracellular superoxide dismutase? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166:S38-43.
12. Assaâ€™ad AH, Ballard ET, Sebastian KD, Loven DP, Boivin GP, Lierl MB. Effect of superoxide dismutase on a rabbit model of chronic allergic asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1998;80(3):215-24.
13. Calhoun WJ, Reed HE, Moest DR, Stevens CA. Enhanced superoxide production by alveolar macrophages and air-space cells, airway inflammation, and alveolar macrophage density changes after segmental antigen bronchoprovocation in allergic subjects. Am Rev Respir Dis 1992;145:317-25.
14. Smith LJ, Shamsuddin M, Sporn PH, Denenberg M, Anderson J. Reduced superoxide dismutase in lung cells of patients with asthma. Free Radic Biol Med 1997;22(7):1301-7.
15. Alzoghaibi MA, Bahammam AS. Lipid peroxides in stable asthmatics receiving inhaled steroids and long-acting beta2-agonists. Respirology 2007;12:439-42.
16. Lange NE, Litonjua A, Hawrylowicz CM, Weiss S. Vitamin D, the immune system and asthma. Expert Rev Clin Immunol 2009;5(6):693 702.
17. Berraies A, Hamzaoui K, Hamzaoui A. Link between vitamin D and airway remodeling. J Asthma Allergy 2014;7:23-30.
18. Korn S, HÃ¼bner M, Jung M, Blettner M, Buhl R. Severe and uncontrolled adult asthma is associated with vitamin D insufficiency and deficiency. Respir Res 2013;14:25.
19. Lan N, Luo G, Yang X, Cheng Y, Zhang Y, Wang X, et al. 25-hydroxy vitamin D3-deficiency enhances oxidative stress and corticosteroid resistance in severe asthma exacerbation. PLOS One 2014;9(11):e111599.
20. Rajanandh MG, Nageswari AD, Prathiksha G. Effectiveness of vitamin D3 in severe persistent asthmatic patients: A double blind, randomized, clinical study. J Pharmacol Pharmacother 2015;6(3):142-6.
21. Saji SM, Jiju KAJ, Sundaran S. Study on the impact of patient counseling on the quality of life and pulmonary function of asthmatic. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4 Suppl 5:300-4.
22. TamaÅ¡auskienÄ— L, GasiÅ«nienÄ— E, LavinskienÄ— S, Sakalauskas R, Å itkauskienÄ— B. Evaluation of vitamin D levels in allergic and non-allergic asthma. Med (Kaunas) 2015;51(6):321-7.
23. Columbo M, Panettieri RA Jr, Rohr AS. Asthma in the elderly: A study of the role of vitamin D. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2014;10(1):48.
24. Nageswari AD, Rajanandh MG, Priyanka RK, Rajasekhar P. Effect of vitamin D3 on mild to moderate persistent asthmatic patients: A randomized controlled pilot study. Perspect Clin Res 2014;5(4):167 71.
25. Shaaban MM, Hashem M. Serum 25 hydroxy vitamin D levels in adult asthmatic patients. Eur J Hum Mov 2012;49:946-52.
26. Montero-Arias F, SedÃ³-MejÃa G, Ramos-Esquivel A. Vitamin D insufficiency and asthma severity in adults from Costa Rica. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res 2013;5(5):283-8.
27. Kamran A, Alam SM, Qadir F. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency among adult asthmatic patients in Karachi. Pak J Pharm Sci 2014;27:2139-44.
28. Freishtat RJ, Iqbal SF, Pillai DK, Klein CJ, Ryan LM, Benton AS, et al. High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among inner-city African American youth with asthma in Washington, DC. J Pediatr 2010;156(6):948-52.
29. Niruban SJ, Alagiakrishnan K, Beach J, Senthilselvan A. Association between vitamin D and respiratory outcomes in Canadian adolescent and adults. J Asthma 2015;52(7):653-61.
30. Glerup H, Mikkelsen K, Poulsen L, Hass E, Overbeck S, Thomsen J, et al. Commonly recommended daily intake of vitamin D is not sufficient if sunlight exposure is limited. J Intern Med 2000;247(2):260 8.
31. Abbas RS, Abdulridha MK, Shafek MA. Clinical evaluation of the potential anti-inflammatory effect of vitamin D3 adjuvant therapy for chronic asthma in Iraqi patients. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(1):139 44.
32. Ahmad A, Shameem M, Husain Q. Relation of oxidant-antioxidant imbalance with disease progression in patients with asthma. Ann Thorac Med 2012;7(4):226-32.
33. Nadeem A, Chhabra SK, Masood A, Raj HG. Increased oxidative stress and altered levels of antioxidants in asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;111(1):72-8.
34. MacPherson JC, Comhair SA, Erzurum SC, Klein DF, Lipscomb MF, Kavuru MS, et al. Eosinophils are a major source of nitric oxide-derived oxidants in severe asthma: Characterization of pathways available to eosinophils for generating reactive nitrogen species. J Immunol 2001;166(9):5763-72.
35. Wu W, Samoszuk MK, Comhair SA, Thomassen MJ, Farver CF, Dweik RA, et al. Eosinophils generate brominating oxidants in allergen-induced asthma. J Clin Invest 2000;105(10):1455-63.
36. Tekin D, Sin BA, Mungan D, Misirligil Z, Yavuzer S. The antioxidative defense in asthma. J Asthma 2000;37(1):59-63.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.