SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIAE-INDUCED APOPTOSIS OF MONOLAYER CERVICAL CANCER CELLS
Â Objective: The present study was undertaken to examine the effect of phagocytosis of killed yeast on the induction of apoptosis in monolayer of HeLa cells.
Methods: HeLa cell line was incubated with different doses (1000-7.8 Î¼g/ml) of heat-killed Saccharomyces cerevisiae for 24, 48, and 72 hrs. The cytotoxicity against HeLa cell line during different exposure hours was screened by 3-(4, 5-dimethyl-2-thiazolyl)-2, 5-diphenyl-tetrazolium bromide assay. Induction of apoptosis was further confirmed by morphological and biochemical examination. Antiproliferative effect of yeast was examined under inverted microscope. Cell morphological changes were analyzed by fluorescent staining with propidium iodide.
Results: The results showed that yeast induces cytotoxicity against HeLa cells in concentrations and during prolonged exposure periods. The viability of HeLa cells decreased from 85% to 45% during 72 hrs of treatment with 1000 Î¼g/ml of yeast cells. The inhibitory concentration 50% of heat-killed yeast required to induce 50% inhibition of HeLa cells was 62.5 Î¼g/ml. Apoptotic cells showed signs such as cell enlargement, membrane blebbing, and chromatin condensation. Furthermore, cell cycle analysis showed that S. cerevisiae treated HeLa cells and showed a typical apoptosis pattern of DNA content that reflected sub-G0 phase (corresponding to apoptotic cells).
Conclusion: Results from the present work show that the heat-killed yeast has anticancer activity and it includes apoptosis of HeLa cells in vitro.
2. Ramaswami R, Harding V, Newsom-Davis T. Novel cancer therapies: Treatments driven by tumour biology. Postgrad Med J 2013;89(1057):652-8.
3. Arora S, Agarwal S, Singhal S. Anticancer activities of thiosemicarbazides/thiosemicarbazones: A review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:34-41.
4. Ghoneum M, Gollapudi S. Synergistic role of arabinoxylan rice bran (MGN-3/Biobran) in S. cerevisiae-induced apoptosis of monolayer breast cancer MCF-7 cells. Anticancer Res 2005;25(6B):4187-96.
5. Rambabu V, Suba S, Manikandan P, Vijayakumar S. Cytotoxic and apoptotic nature of migrastatin, a secondary metabolite from Streptomyces evaluated on HEP G2 cell line. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:333-8.
6. Ghoneum M, Wang L, Agrawal S, Gollapudi S. Yeast therapy for the treatment of breast cancer: A nude mice model study. In Vivo 2007;21(2):251-8.
7. Seyfried TN, Flores RE, Poff AM, Dâ€™Agostino DP. Cancer as a metabolic disease: Implications for novel therapeutics. Carcinogenesis 2014;35(3):515-27.
8. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. Immunol Methods 1983;65(1-2):55-63.
9. Elmore S. Apoptosis: A review of programmed cell death. Toxicol Pathol 2007;35(4):495-516.
10. World Health Organization. World Cancer Report. Ch. 1.1. Lyon, France: World Health Organization; 2014.
11. Senthilraja P, Kathiresan K. In vitro cytotoxicity MTT assay in vero, HepG2 and MCF-7 cell lines study of Marine yeast. J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;5(3):80-4.
12. Wahab SI, Abdul AB, Alzubairi AS, Elhassan MM, Mohan S. In vitro ultra morphological assessment of apoptosis induced by Zerumbone on (HeLa). J Biomed Biotechnol 2009;2009:10.
13. Brown JM, Attardi LD. The role of apoptosis in cancer development and treatment response. Nat Rev Cancer 2005;5(3):231-7.
14. Moongkarndi P, Kosem N, Kaslungka S, Luanratana O, Pongpan N, Neungton N. Antiproliferation, antioxidation and induction of apoptosis by Garcinia mangostana (Mangosteen) on SKBR3 human breast cancer cell line. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;90(1):161-6.
15. Thuret G, Chiquet C, Herrag S. Mechanisms of staurosporine induced apoptosis in a human corneal endothelial cell line. Br J Ophthalmol 2003;87(3):346-52.
16. Kang TB, Liang NC. Studies on the inhibitory effects of quercetin on the growth of HL-60 leukemia cells. Biochem Pharmacol 1997;54(9):1013-8.
17. Darzynkiewicz Z, Halicka HD, Zhao H. Analysis of cellular DNA content by flow and laser scanning cytometry. Adv Exp Med Biol 2010;676:137-47.
18. Ghoneum M, Gollapudi S. Apoptosis of breast cancer MCF-7 cells in vitro is induced specifically by yeast and not by fungal mycelia. Anticancer Res 2006;26(3A):2013-22.
19. Ghoneum M, Hamilton J, Brown J, Gollapudi S. Human squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue and colon undergoes apoptosis upon phagocytosis of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the bakerâ€™s yeast, in vitro. Anticancer Res 2005;25(2A):981-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.