A PROSPECTIVE OBSERVATIONAL STUDY ON HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE IN CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE PATIENTS BASED ON SEVERITY
Â Objective: The objective of the study was to determine health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and to measure differences in HRQOL according to gender and severity of COPD.
Methods: An observational study was conducted over a period of 9 months. A total of 100 COPD patientâ€™s data were collected regarding patients age, gender, smoking status, and clinical characteristics using an SF-12 health survey questionnaire.
Results: The total study population of 100 patients, 78% were men and 22% of women with a mean age of 65.4Â±13.2 years. The spirometry measurements, the mean forced expiratory volume 1 (FEV1) value was 57.2Â±10.4. HRQOL correlated significantly with FEV1 values (p=0.9760, p<0.0001). The severity of the disease was mild in 22%, moderate in 41%, severe in 24%, and very severe in 13% of patients. HRQOL was compared between men and women; the mean mental component summary scores were significantly higher in women (65.6Â±10.7) than in men (59.2Â±11.6). An inverse significant correlation between HRQOL and degree of dyspnea was observed (p=âˆ’0.9218, p<0.0001).
Conclusion: The mental health status is essentially higher in women when contrasted with men. HRQOL is impaired, and moreover, it progressively worsens with increasing severity of the disease. This study shows that patients with higher smoking index are having more likelihood of developing the COPD disease and dyspnea has a great impact on HRQOL of patients. Evaluation of COPD patients should not be based only on pulmonary function tests but also by considering and estimating the patientâ€™s HRQOL.
2. World Health Organization. Burden of COPD. Available from: http://www.who.int/respiratory/copd/burden/en.
3. Lopez AD, Shibuya K, Rao C, Mathers CD, Hansell AL, Held LS, et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Current burden and future projections. Eur Respir J 2006;27(2):397-412.
4. World Health Organization Information about COPD. Available from: http://www.who.int/respiratory/copd/en.
5. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease, Pocket Guide to COPD Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention: A Guide for Health Care Professionals; 2017 edition. Available from: http://www.goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/wms-GOLD-2017-Pocket-Guide.pdf.
6. Pauwels R, Buist A, Calverley P, Jenkins C, Hurd S. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;163(5):1256-76.
7. Curtis JR, Martin DP, Martin TR. Patient-assessed health outcomes in chronic lung disease: What are they, how do they help us, and where do we go from here? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997;156:1032-9.
8. Ware JE, Kosinski M, Keller SD. How to Score the SF-12 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales. 2nd ed. Boston, MA: The Health Institute; 1995.
9. Domingo-Salvany A, Lamarca R, Ferrer M, Garcia-Aymerich J, Alonso J, FÃ©lez M, et al. Health-related quality of life and mortality in male patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166(5):680-5.
10. Katz PP, Eisner MD, Yelin EH, Trupin L, Earnest G, Balmes J, et al. Functioning and psychological status among individuals with COPD. Qual Life Res 2005;14(8):1835-43.
11. Garratt AM, Hutchinson A, Russell I. Patient-assessed measures of health outcome in asthma: A comparison of four approaches. Respir Med 2000;94(6):597-606.
12. Miravitlles M, Calle M, Alvarez-Gutierrez F, Gobartt E, LÃ³pez F, MartÃn A. Exacerbations, hospital admissions and impaired health status in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Qual Life Res 2006;15(3):471-80.
13. Miravitlles M, Ferrer M, Pont A, Zalacain R, Alvarez-Sala JL, Masa F, et al. Effect of exacerbations on quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A 2 year follow up study. Thorax 2004;59(5):387-95.
14. StÃ¥hl E, Lindberg A, Jansson SA, RÃ¶nmark E, Svensson K, Andersson F, et al. Health-related quality of life is related to COPD disease severity. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2005;3:56.
15. Ferrer M, Anto JM, Alonso J, Prieto L, Plaza V, Monso E, et al. Quality of life in COPD patients of different stages of the disease. Eur Respir J 1995;8:354.
16. Ferrucci L, Baldasseroni S, Bandinelli S, De Alfieri W, Cartei A, Calvani D, et al. Disease severity and health-related quality of life across different chronic condition. J Am Geriatr Soc 2000;48:1490-5.
17. Giner J, Roura P, Torres B, Burgos F, Castillo D, Tarragona E, et al. Knowledge, attitudes and preferences among Spanish community pharmacists regarding inhaled therapy (the optim pharmacy study). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(9):53.
18. Altaf M, Masood Q, Ahmed T, Ilyaz M, Basha SA. Health related quality of life assessment using St. Georgeâ€™s respiratory questionnaire in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients on combined inhaled corticosteroids and bronchodilators. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8(1):445.
19. Ozalevli S, Ucan ES. The comparison of different dyspnoea scales in patients with COPD. J Eval Clin Pract 2006;12(5):532-8.
20. von Leupoldt A, Hahn E, Taube K, Schubert-Heukeshoven S, Magnussen H, Dahme B. Effects of 3-week outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation on exercise capacity, dyspnea, and quality of life in COPD. Lung 2008;186(6):387-91.
21. Hajiro T, Nishimura K, Tsukino M, Ikeda A, Oga T, Izumi T. A comparison of the level of dyspnea versus disease severity in indicating the health-related quality of life of patients with COPD. Chest 1999;116(6):1632-7.
22. Oga T, Tsukino M, Hajiro T, Ikeda A, Nishimura K. Analysis of longitudinal changes in dyspnea of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: An observational study. Respir Res 2012;13:85.
23. Postma S, Kerstjens A. Epidemiology and natural history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. In: Gibson G, John G, Corrin B, editors. Respiratory Medicine. Ch. 11. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2003. p. 1109-20.
24. Prigatano GP, Wright EC, Levin D. Quality of life and its predictors in patients with mild hypoxemia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Arch Intern Med 1984;144(8):1613-9.
25. Fletcher C, Peto R. The natural history of chronic airflow obstruction. Br Med J 1977;1(6077):1645-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.