ONCOLYTIC VIRAL THERAPY IN CANCER THERAPEUTICS
Objective: The aim of this study is to provide comprehensive information of oncolytic viral therapy, from the origin to present scenario.
Methods: This observational study was conducted by the Department of Pharmacology, Saveetha Medical College, Chennai between July and December 2016. Date regarding ongoing oncolytic virotherapy trials was retrieved from clinical trial database, United States and Clinical trial registry forum, India. Tamilnogene approval details were obtained from the US-Food and Drug Administration approval new drug approval information.
Results: Eleven ongoing trials in Phase I and Ia are being carried out, of which 4 viral strains such as herpes, adenovirus, measles, and reovirus are used for intracerebral malignancies. Four trials have shown superior effects and seven trial results are yet to be completed.
Conclusion: Oncolytic viral therapy can be as effective as targeted therapy in battling against cancer; however, long-term efficacy and safety should be established from more studies and meta-analysis.
.2. Kelly E, Russell SJ. History of oncolytic viruses: Genesis to genetic engineering. Mol Ther 2007;15(4):651-9.
3. Hoster HA, Zanes RP, Von Haam E. The association of â€œviralâ€ hepatitis and Hodgkinâ€™s disease; A preliminary report.Cancer Res 1949;9(8):473-80.
4. Huebner RJ, Bell JA, Rowe WP, Ward TG, Suskind RG, Hartley JW, et al. Studies of adenoidal-pharyngeal-conjunctival vaccines in volunteers. J Am Med Assoc 1995;159(10):986-9.
5. Meerani S, Yao Y. Oncolytic viruses in cancer therap. Eur J Sci Res 2010;40:1.
6. Martuza RL, Malick A, Markert JM, Ruffner KL, Coen DM. Experimental therapy of human glioma by means of a genetically engineered virus mutant. Science 1991;252(5007):854-6.
7. Mineta T, Rabkin SD, Yazaki T, Hunter WD, Martuza RL. Attenuated multi-mutated herpes simplex virus-1 for the treatment of malignant gliomas. Nat Med 1995;1:938-43.
8. Nigim F, Esaki SI, Hood M, Lelic N, James MF, Ramesh V. A new patient-derived orthotopic malignant meningioma model treated with oncolytic herpes simplex virus. Neuro Oncol 2016;18(9):1278-87.
9. Wollmann G, Ozduman K, van den Pol AN. Oncolytic virus therapy of glioblastoma multiforme: Concepts and candidates. Cancer J 2012;18(1):69-81.
10. ClinicalTrials.gov. A Service of the U.S. National Institutes of Health. [Last updated on 2017 Mar; Last cited 2017 Mar]. Available from: https://www.clinicaltrials.gov.
11. Reddy DR, Kalyani G, Pradeep K, Asif MD, Kartheek D, Gangabhavani M. The survey of cancer patients in the region of guntur: Based on hospital registry. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(2):228-32.
12. Gupta M, Dahiya J, Marwaha RK, Dureja H. Therapies in cancer treatment: An overview. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2005;7(4):1-9.
13. Krishnan V, Sadasivan U. Angiogenesis inhibitors in cancer therapeutics. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2014;3(1):24-6.
14. Muthusamy P, Chary KV, Nalini G. Metronomic chemotherapy: Seems prowess to battle against cancer in current scenario. J Clin Diagn Res 2016;10(11):9-13.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.