IN VITRO ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF PHYLLODIUM PULCHELLUM L. DESV - AN THREATENED MEDICINAL PLANT
Â Objectives: In this study, we determined the in vitro antioxidant capacity of Phyllodium pulchellum of aqueous, ethanol, and chloroform leaf extracts.
Methods: In this context, the in vitro antioxidant activity was demonstrated by 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), 2,2â€²-azinobis(3- ethylbenzothiazolone-6-sulfonic acid) (ABTS+) radical scavenging assay, the total antioxidant activity of phosphomolybdenum assay and hydroxyl radical scavenging activity in different leaf extracts of P. pulchellum. The antioxidant activity of the extracts was compared to standard ascorbic acid.
Results: All the four methods of antioxidant showed good reducing power and reducing capacity with increasing concentration again taking the ethanol leaf extract to the top position. Remarkable of antioxidant activity was observed in ethanol leaf extract on the hydrogen peroxide scavenging activity with the lowest inhibitory concentration 50 values of (155.40 Î¼g/ml) followed by DPPH (432.90 Î¼g/ml) and ABTS+ (524.40 Î¼g/ml).
Conclusion: These results suggest that the leaf of P. pulchellum could be a valuable source of new antioxidant properties, from the above results it seen that this plant exhibits pharmaceutical activity.
2. Muckda C, Smarn T, Sasithorn K. Preliminary study, effects of Desmodium pulchellum root on Opisthorchis viverrini in hamsters. Srinagarind Med J 1989;4(3):190-4.
3. Yu S, Zhong M, Huang L. The effect of Desmodium pulchellum on the content of liver collagen protein of testing hepatic fibrosis rats. Hunan Guid J Tradit Chin Med Pharmacol 1999;27:8-32.
4. Khalilur R, Soumitra B, Fokhrul I, Rafikul I, Mohammed AS, Shahnaj P, et al. Studies on the anti-diarrheal properties of leaf extract of Desmodium pulchellum. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3(8):639-43.
5. Noor SS, Rahman MA, Zebunnesa A, Atanu D, Monir H. Evaluation
of anti-inflammatory and antidiabetic activity of ethanolic extracts of Desmodium pulchellum Benth. (Fabaceae) barks on Albino wistar rats. J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3(7):48-51.
6. Jain SK. Dictionary of Indian Folk Medicine and Ethnobotany. New Delhi: Deep Publications; 1991.
Poveda LL. Phyllodium pulchellum. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species; 2012.
8. Blois MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of stable free radical. Nature 1958;81:1199-2000.
9. Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 1999;26(9-10):1231-7.
10. Prieto P, Pineda M, Aguilar M. Spectrophotometric quantitation of antioxidant capacity through the formation of a phosphomolybdenum complex: Specific application to the determination of Vitamin E. Anal Biochem 1999;269(2):337-41.
11. Klein D, Moore RY, Reppert SM, editors. Supra Chiasmatic Nucleus: The Mindâ€™s Clock. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1991.
12. Figueroa LA, Navarro LB, Vera MP, Petricevich VL. Antioxidant activity, total phenolic and flavonoid contents, and cytotoxicity evaluation of Bougainvillea xbuttiana. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(5):497-502.
13. Ahmad B, Khan MR, Shah NA, Khan RA. In vitro antioxidant potential of dicliptera roxburghiana. BMC Complement Altern Med 2013;13:140.
14. Dechayont B, Ruamdee P, Poonnaimuang S, Mokmued K, Chunthorng-Orn J. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Pogostemon cablin (Blanco) Benth. J Bot 2017;2017:1-6.
15. Attar UA, Ghane SG. Phytochemicals, antioxidant activity and phenolic profiling of Diplocyclos palmatus (l.) C. Jeffrey. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(4):101-6.
16. Tsai JC, Huang GJ, Chiu TH, Huang SS, Huang SC, Huang TH, et al. Antioxidant activities of phenolic components from various plants of Desmodium species. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2011;5:468-76.
17. Thangavelu K, Ravisankar N, Siddiq A, Joseph J. In vitro antioxidant and anticancer potential of flowers of Toddalia asiatica (Rutaceae). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(3):95-9.
18. Anupma D, Hemlata S, Sharma RA, Archana S. Estimation of antioxidant and antibacterial activity of crude extracts of Thevetia peruviana (Pers.) K. Schum. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(2):55-9.
19. Tahareen S, Shwetha R, Myrene RD. Potential antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial evaluation of extracts of Leucas aspera using in vitro models . Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(12):292-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.