OKRA FRUIT GUM-CHITOSAN IMPREGNATED POLYMER NETWORK FILMS: FORMULATION AND SUBSTANTIAL DEPICTION
Â Objective: The present research is aimed at formulation and evaluation of okra fruit gum (OFG)-chitosan (CH) impregnated polymer network films.
Methods: The film forming property of the gum attained from fruits of Abelmoschus esculentus was enhanced by co-processing it with CH. Estimation of properties including swelling index (SI), film volume, volume index, film surface contact angle with buffer solutions (pH 1.2, 7.4 or 6.8), work of adhesion (Wa), and spreading coefficient was done.
Results: The contact angle and SI of OFG-CH film in both acidic and alkaline buffers were witnessed to be lowest when equated with the films prepared with difference in ratios of both gum and CH. Moreover, the Wa and spreading coefficient were less for this film. These results could be attributed to the optimum interaction between â€“COOâˆ’ groups of gum and -NH3+ groups of CH.
Conclusion: The actual nature of the film found to be tough, flexible, and water resistant. Hence, the results have shown that the films produced have a high potential for use in modified drug release and in food and pharmaceuticals.
2. GÃ¼rbÃ¼z I, UstÃ¼n O, Yesilada E, Sezik E, Kutsal O. Anti-ulcerogenic activity of some plants used as folk remedy in Turkey. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;88(1):93-7.
3. Kaur G, Singh D, Brar V. Bioadhesive okra polymer based buccal patches as platform for controlled drug delivery. Int J Biol Macromol 2014;70:408-19.
4. Jindal M, Kumar V, Rana V, Tiwary AK. Physico-chemical, mechanical and electrical performance of bael fruit gum-chitosan IPN films. Food Hydrocoll 2013;30(1):192-9.
5. Rao MS, Kanatt SR, Chawla S, Sharma A. Chitosan and guar gum composite films: Preparation, physical, mechanical and antimicrobial properties. Carbohydr Polym 2010;82(4):1243-7.
6. Risbud MV, Hardikar AA, Bhat SV, Bhonde RR. pH-sensitive freeze-dried chitosan-polyvinyl pyrrolidone hydrogels as controlled release system for antibiotic delivery. J Control Release 2000;68(1):23-30.
7. Sivakumar M, Manjubala I, Panduranga RK. Preparation, characterization and in vitro release of gentamicin from coralline hydroxyapatite-chitosan composite microspheres. Carbohydr Polym 2002;49(3):281-8.
8. Bhise KS, Dhumal RS, Chauhan B, Paradkar A, Kadam SS. Effect of oppositely charged polymer and dissolution medium on swelling, erosion, and drug release from chitosan matrices. AAPS PharmSciTech 2007;8(2):Article 44.
9. Chen HS, Moschakis T, Nelson P. Application of surface friction measurements for surface characterization of heat-set whey protein gels. J Texture Stud 2004;35:493-510.
10. Arzate-VÃ¡zquez I, Chanona-PÃ©rez JJ, CalderÃ³n-DomÃnguez G, Terres-Rojas E, Garibay-Febles V, MartÃnez-Rivas A, et al. Microstructural characterization of chitosan and alginate films by microscopy techniques and texture image analysis. Carbohydr Polym 2012;87(1):289-99.
11. Naidu VG, Madhusudhana K, Sashidhar RB, Ramakrishna S, Khar RK, Ahmed FJ, et al. Polyelectrolyte complexes of gum kondagogu and chitosan, as diclofenac carriers. Carbohydr Polym 2009;76:464-71.
12. Kumar MN, Muzzarelli RA, Muzzarelli C, Sashiwa H, Domb AJ. Chitosan chemistry and pharmaceutical perspectives. Chem Rev 2004;104(12):6017-84.
13. Nagpal M, Aggarwal G, Jain UK, Madan J. Extraction of gum from Abelmoschus esculentus: Physicochemical peculiarity and antioxidant prepatent. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. Available from: https://www.innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ajpcr/issue/archive.
14. Nehete J, Bhatia M. Correlation of antioxidant activity with phenolic content and isolation of antioxidant compound from Lygodium flexuosum (L.) SW extracts. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:48-52.
15. Meera G, Leenamma J, Josekumar VS. Antioxidant, anti-lipid peroxidative and antimicrobial properties of the epiphytic fern, Pyrrosia heterophylla (L.) Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(4):87-93.
16. Singh K, Suri R, Tiwary AK, Rana V. Chitosan films: Crosslinking with EDTA modifies physicochemical and mechanical properties. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2012;23(3):687-95.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.