SIMULTANEOUS SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF DICLOFENAC SODIUM, PARACETAMOL, AND CHLORZOXAZONE IN TERNARY MIXTURE USING CHEMOMETRIC AND ARTIFICIAL NEURAL NETWORKS TECHNIQUES
Â Objective: The aim of this study is to develop and validate simple, accurate, and precise spectrophotometric methods for the simultaneous determination of diclofenac sodium (DIC), paracetamol (PAR), and chlorzoxazone (CHZ) in ternary mixture using chemometric and artificial neural networks (ANN) techniques.
Methods: Three chemometric techniques include classical least squares (CLS), principal component regression (PCR), and partial least squares (PLS) in addition to cascade-forward backpropagation ANN (CFBP-ANN) were prepared using the synthetic mixtures containing the three drugs in methanol. In CLS, PCR, and PLS, the absorbances of the synthetic mixtures in the range 267-295 nm with the intervals Î”Î»=0.2 nm in their zero-order spectra were selected. Then, calibration or regression was obtained using the absorbance data matrix and concentration data matrix for the prediction of the unknown concentrations of DIC, PAR, and CHZ in their mixtures. In CFBP-ANN, two layers, sigmoid layer with 10 neurons and linear layer were found appropriate for the simultaneous determination of the three drugs in their ternary mixture.
Results: The four proposed methods were successfully applied to the analysis of the three drugs in laboratory prepared mixtures and tablets with good percentage recoveries in the range of 98-102%. Relative standard deviation for the precision study was found <1%.
Conclusion: The four proposed methods showed simplicity, accuracy, precision, and rapidity making them suitable for quality control and routine analysis of the cited drugs in ternary mixtures and pharmaceutical formulation containing them.
2. Wilson CO, Beale JM, Block JH. Wilson and Gisvoldâ€™s Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. 12th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011.
3. Brunton L, Chabner B, Knollman B. Goodman and Gilmanâ€™s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 12th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2011.
4. Sena MM, Chaudhry ZF, Collins CH, Poppi RJ. Direct determination of diclofenac in pharmaceutical formulations containing B vitamins by using UV spectrophotometry and partial least squares regression. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2004;36(4):743-9.
5. Charyulu RN, Ahmed MG, Nayak P, Dixit M. Simultaneous analysis and validation of ciprofloxacin-diclofenac and tetracycline-diclofenac by using UV spectrophotometer. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;28(1):207-13.
6. Ghasemi J, Niazi A, Ghobadi S. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of benzyl alcohol and diclofenac in pharmaceutical formulations by chemometrics method. J Chin Chem Soc 2005;52(5):1049-54.
7. Arancibia JA, Boldrini MA, Escandar GM. Spectrofluorimetric determination of diclofenac in the presence of alpha-cyclodextrin. Talanta 2000;52(2):261-8.
8. Castillo MA, Bruzzone L. Indirect fluorometric determination of diclofenac sodium. Anal Sci 2006;22(3):431-3.
9. Yilmaz B, Ciltas U. Determination of diclofenac in pharmaceutical preparations by voltammetry and gas chromatography methods. J Pharm Anal 2015;5(3):153-60.
10. Chethana B, Basavanna S, Naik YA. Voltammetric determination of diclofenac sodium using tyrosine-modified carbon paste electrode. Ind Eng Chem Res 2012;51(31):10287-95.
11. GonzÃ¡lez L, Yuln G, VolontÃ© MG. Determination of cyanocobalamin, betamethasone, and diclofenac sodium in pharmaceutical formulations, by high performance liquid chromatography. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1999;20(3):487-92.
12. Arcelloni C, Lanzi R, Pedercini S, Molteni G, Fermo I, Pontiroli A, et al. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of diclofenac in human plasma after solid-phase extraction. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 2001;763(1-2):195-200.
13. Yilmaz B, Asci A, Palabiyik SS. HPLC method for determination of diclofenac in human plasma and its application to a pharmacokinetic study in Turkey. J Chromatogr Sci 2011;49(6):422-7.
14. Emami J, Ghassami N, Talari R. A rapid and sensitive modified HPLC method for determination of diclofenac in human plasma and its application in pharmacokinetic studies. J Pharm Sci 2007;15(3):132-8.
15. Vemula VR, Sharma PK. RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of diclofenac and tolperisone in tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6(3):186-9.
16. Abdel-Hamid ME, Novotny L, Hamza H. Determination of diclofenac sodium, flufenamic acid, indomethacin and ketoprofen by LC-APCI-MS. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2001;24(4):587-94.
17. Sparidans RW, Lagas JS, Schinkel AH, Schellens JH, Beijnen JH. Liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometric assay for diclofenac and three primary metabolites in mouse plasma. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2008;872(1-2):77-82.
18. Alam MA, Al-Jenoobi FI, Al-Mohizea AM. High-throughput ultra-performance LC-MS-MS method for analysis of diclofenac sodium in rabbit plasma. J Chromatogr Sci 2015;53:47-53.
19. El-Bagary RI, Azzazy HM, ElKady EF, Farouk F. UPLC-MS/MS determination of aceclofenac and diclofenac in bulk, dosage forms and in at-line monitoring of aceclofenac synthesis. Br J Pharm Res 2014;4(11):1311-31.
20. Lachmann B, Kratzel M, Noe CR. Rapid determination of diclofenac in pharmaceutical formulations by capillary zone electrophoresis. Sci Pharm 2012;80(2):311-6.
21. Krzek J, Starek M. Densitometric determination of diclofenac, 1-(2,6-dichlorophenyl)indolin-2-one and indolin-2-one in pharmaceutical preparations and model solutions. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;28(2):227-43.
22. Thongchai W, Liawruangrath B, Thongpoon C, Machan T. High performance thin layer chromatographic method for the determination of diclofenac sodium in pharmaceutical formulations. Chiang Mai J Sci 2006;33(1):123-8.
23. Sharma R, Pathodiya G, Mishra GP, Sainy J. Spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and diclofenac sodium in combined dosage form by application of hydrotropic solubilization. J Pharm Sci Res 2010;2:821-6.
24. Prajapati KM. Spectrophotometric estimation of chlorzoxazone and diclofenac sodium in synthetic mixture by first order derivative spectrophotometry. Int J Pharmamed India 2013;1(2):258-69.
25. Patel SA, Prajapati KM. Spectrophotometric estimation of chlorzoxazone and diclofenac sodium in synthetic mixture by Q-absorbance ratio method. Int J Chemtech Res 2013;5(4):312-23.
26. Dighe V, Sane R, Menon S, Tambe H, Pillai S, Gokarn V. Simultaneous determination of diclofenac sodium and paracetamol in a pharmaceutical preparation and in bulk drug powder by high-performance thin-layer chromatography. J Planar Chromatogr Mod TLC 2006;19(112):443-8.
27. Okoth OK, Yan K, Liu L, Zhang J. Simultaneous electrochemical determination of paracetamol and diclofenac based on poly (diallyldimethylammonium chloride) functionalized graphene. Electroanalysis 2016;28(1):76-82.
28. Gowramma B, Rajan S, Muralidharan S, Meyyanathan S, Suresh B. A validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and diclofenac potassium in pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Chemtech Res 2010;2(1):676-80.
29. Patel J, Patel P. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the estimation of diclofenac sodium, tramadol hydrochloride and chlorzoxazone from their combined tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(7):632-7.
30. Mohite VI, Potawale SE, Gabhe SY. Development and validation of HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of paracetamol, diclofenac potassium and chlorzoxazone in bulk drug and tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5(2):432-5.
31. Pawar S, Kale A, Amrutkar M, Bhosale A. HPTLC estimation of paracetamol, diclofenac sodium and chlorzoxazone in tablet dosage form. Asian J Res Chem 2009;2:306-8.
32. Badgujar MA, Pingale SG, Mangaonkar KV. Simultaneous determination of paracetamol, chlorzoxazone and diclofenac sodium in tablet dosage form by high performance liquid chromatography. J Chem 2011;8(3):1206-11.
33. Mithun C, Dipanjan RC, Arindam B, Debabrata D, Susanto C. Simultaneous determination of paracetamol, chlorzoxazone and diclofenac sodium in tablet dosage form by HPLC. Int J Pharm Innov 2012;2(2):34-40.
34. Blanco M, Coello J, GonzÃ¡lez F, Iturriaga H, Maspoch S, TomÃ¡s X. Spectrophotometric determination of pharmaceutical dosages by partial least-squares calibration. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1994;12(4):509-14.
35. Boeris, Luco JM, Olsina RA. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of phenobarbital, phenytoin and methylphenobarbital in pharmaceutical preparations by using partial least-squares and principal component regression multivariate calibration. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2000;24(2):259-71.
36. PulgarÄ±Ìn JA, Molina AA, LÃ³pez PF. Direct analysis of amiloride and triamterene mixtures by fluorescence spectrometry using partial-least squares calibration. Anal Chim Acta 2001;449(1):179-87.
37. Ni Y, Wang L, Kokot S. Voltammetric determination of chlorpromazine hydrochloride and promethazine hydrochloride with the use of multivariate calibration. Anal Chim Acta 2001;439(1):159-68.
38. AktaÅŸ HA, ErtokuÅŸ PG. Potentiometric determination of ibuprofen, indomethacin and naproxen using an artificial neural network calibration. J Serb Chem Soc 2008;73(1):87-95.
39. Ni Y, Gong X. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of mixtures of food colorants. Anal Chim Acta 1997;354(1):163-71.
40. El-Gindy A. HPLC and chemometric assisted spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of diprophylline, phenobarbitone and papaverine hydrochloride. Farmaco 2005;60(9):745-53.
41. Kramer R. Chemometric Techniques for Quantitative Analysis. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1998.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.