A NEW ELECTROCHEMICAL SENSOR BASED ON MODIFIED CARBON NANOTUBE-GRAPHITE MIXTURE PASTE ELECTRODE FOR VOLTAMMETRIC DETERMINATION OF RESORCINOL
Objective: A new carbon nanotube (CNT)-graphite mixture paste electrode modified by Sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) surfactant (SDSMCNTGMPE) was prepared and applied for sensitive electrochemical determination of resorcinol (RS).
Method: Cyclic voltammetry, variable pressure scanning electron microscopy, and differential voltammetry were employed for the surface analysis of the bare CNT-graphite mixture paste electrode and SDSMCNTGMPE. Comparison between the unmodified electrode and modified electrode, the modified electrode oxidation peak current significantly improved. The effects of the pH, scan rate, and concentration of RS on the peak current were investigated.
Results: Results indicated that the peak current of RS is highest in 0.2 M pH 7.0 phosphate buffer solutions and that the electrode reaction corresponds to a rate controlled process. Under optimized experimental conditions, the oxidation peak current of RS was linear over a concentration range of 2Ã—10âˆ’6 to 1.0Ã—10âˆ’3 M with a detection limit of 5.8Ã—10âˆ’6 M and quantification limit of 19Ã—10âˆ’6 M.
Conclusion: The prepared sensor also shows other features such as good stability, reproducibility and repeatability. The proposed sensor exhibits good application toward the detection of RS in commercial RS lotion samples.
2. Ahammad AJ, Sarker S, Rahman MA, Lee JJ. Simultaneous determination of hydroquinone and catechol at an activated glassy carbon electrode. Electroanalysis 2010;22(6):694-700.
3. Hossain MU, Rahman MT, Ehsan MQ. Simultaneous detection and estimation of catechol, hydroquinone, and resorcinol in binary and ternary mixtures using electrochemical techniques. Int J Anal Chem 2015;2015:862979.
4. Ghoreishi SM, Behpour M, Hajisadeghian E, Golestaneh M. Voltammetric determination of resorcinol on the surface of a glassy carbon electrode modified with multi-walled carbon nanotube. Arab J Chem 2016;9 Suppl 2:S1563-8.
5. Du J, Li Y, Lu J. Flow injection chemiluminescence determination of polyhydroxy phenols using luminol-ferricyanide/ferrocyanide system. Talanta 2001;55(6):1055-8.
6. Yang L, Wang Z, Xu L. Simultaneous determination of phenols (bibenzyl, phenanthrene, and fluorenone) in Dendrobium species by high-performance liquid chromatography with diode array detection. J Chromatogr A 2006;1104(1-2):230-7.
7. Pistonesi MF, Di Nezio MS, CenturiÃ³n ME, Palomeque ME, Lista AG, FernÃ¡ndez Band BS. Determination of phenol, resorcinol and hydroquinone in air samples by synchronous fluorescence using partial least-squares (PLS). Talanta 2006;69(5):1265-8.
8. Zargar B, Hatamie A. Colorimetric determination of resorcinol based on localized surface plasm on resonance of silver nanoparticles. Analyst 2012;21(22):5334-38.
9. Khalaf KD, Hasan BA, Morales-Rubio A, de la Guardia M. Spectrophotometric determination of phenol and resorcinol by reaction with p-aminophenol. Talanta 1994;41(4):547-56.
10. Manjunatha JG, Deraman M, Basri NH, Nor NS, Talib IA, Ataollahi N. Sodium dodecyl sulfate modified carbon nanotubes paste electrode as a novel sensor for the simultaneous determination of dopamine, ascorbic acid, and uric acid. C R Chimie 2014;17:465-76.
11. Manjunatha JG, Swamy BE, Mamatha GP, Gilbert O, Shreenivas MT, Sherigara BS. Electrochemical studies of clozapine drug using carbon nanotube-SDS modified carbon paste electrode: A cyclic voltammetry study. Pharma Chemica 2011;3(2):236-49.
12. Manjunatha JG, Deraman M, Basri NH. Electrocatalytic detection of dopamine and uric acid at poly (basic blue b) modified carbon nanotube paste electrode. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8(5):48-53.
13. Manjunatha JG. Poly (Nigrosine) modified electrochemical sensor for the determination of dopamine and uric acid: A cyclic voltammetric study. Int J Chem Tech Res 2016;9(2):136-46.
14. Manjunatha JG, Deraman M, Basri NH, Talib IA. Selective detection of dopamine in the presence of uric acid using polymerized phthalo blue film modified carbon paste electrode. Adv Mat Res 2014;895:447-51.
15. Manjunatha JG, Deraman M, Basri NH, Talib IA. Fabrication of poly (solid red A) modified carbon nanotube paste electrode and its application for simultaneous determination of epinephrine, uric acid and ascorbic acid. Arab J Chem 2014. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2014.10.009.
16. Kutluay A, Aslanoglu M. An electrochemical sensor prepared by sonochemical one-pot synthesis of multi-walled carbon nanotube-supported cobalt nanoparticles for the simultaneous determination of paracetamol and dopamine. Anal Chim Acta 2014;839:59-66.
17. Stoller MD, Park S, Zhu Y, An J, Ruoff RS. Graphene-based ultra-capacitors. Nano Lett 2008;8(10):3498-502.
18. Manjunatha JG, Swamy BE, Deraman M, Mamatha GP. Simultaneous determination of ascorbic acid, dopamine and uric acid at poly (aniline blue) modified carbon paste electrode: A cyclic voltammetric study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5 Suppl 2:355-61.
19. Vidya DS, Prasad MS, Priya MV, Roja K, Sreedhar NY. Volta metric determination of desloratadine in pharmaceutical and human urine samples using glassy carbon electrode. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(10):119-22.
20. Manjunatha JG. A novel poly (glycine) biosensor towards the detection of indigo carmine: A voltammetric study. J Food Drug Analysis 2017. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfda.2017.05.002.
21. Nithya G, Kanakam CC, Sudha R. Cyclic voltammetric studies for different substituted benzils. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9(3):82-4.
22. Farma R, Deraman M, Awitdrus A, Talib IA, Omar R, Manjunatha JG, et al. Physical and Electrochemical Properties of super capacitor electrodes derived from carbon nanotube and biomass carbon. Int J Electrochem Sci 2013;8:257-73.
23. Georgakilas V, Otyepka M, Bourlinos AB, Chandra V, Kim N, Kemp KC. Functionalization of grapheme: Covalent and non-covalent approaches, derivatives and applications. Chem Rev 2012;112(11):6156-214.
24. Yen MY, Hsiao MC, Liao SH, Liu PI, Tsai HM, Ma CC. Preparation of graphene/multi-walled carbon nanotube hybrid and its use as photo anodes of dye-sensitized solar cells. Carbon 2011;49(11):3597-606.
25. Xu C, Wang X, Zhu J. Graphene-metal particle nano composites. J Phys Chem C 2008;112:19841-845.
26. Wang X, Tabakman SM, Dai H. Atomic layer deposition of metal oxides on pristine and functionalized graphene. J Am Chem Soc 2008;130:8152-153. 27. Moghaddam AB, Mohammadi A, Fathabadi M. Application of carbon nanotube-graphite mixture for the determination of diclofenac sodium in pharmaceutical and biological samples. Pharmaceut Anal Acta 2012;3(5):1-6.
28. Alarcon-Ãngeles G, Corona-Avendano S, Palomar-Pardave M, Rojas-Hernandez A, Romero-Romo M, RamÃrez-Silva MT. Selective electrochemical determination of dopamine in the presence of ascorbic acid using sodium dodecyl sulfate micelles as masking agent. Electrochim Acta 2008;53(6):3013-20.
29. Corona-Avendano S, Alarcon-Angeles G, Romero-Romo M, Cuan A, Ramirez-Silva MT, Hernandez-Martinez L, et al. Influence of CTAB on the electrochemical behavior of dopamine and on its analytic determination in the presence of ascorbic acid. J Appl Electrochem 2010;40(2):463-74.
30. Colin-Orozco E, Ramirez-Silva MT, Corona-Avendano S, Romero-Romo M, Palomar-Pardave M. Electrochemical quantification of dopamine in the presence of ascorbic acid and uric acid using a simple carbon paste electrode modified with SDS micelles at pH 7. Electrochim Acta 2012;85:307-13.
31. Corona-Avendano S, Alarcon-Ãngeles G, RamÃrez-Silva MT, Rosquete-Pina G, Romero-Romo M, Palomar-Pardave M. On the electrochemistry of dopamine in aqueous solution. Part I: The role of [SDS] on the voltammetric behavior of dopamine on a carbon paste electrode. J Electroanal Chem 2007;609(1):17-26.
32. Wang H, Qiao X, Chen J, Ding S. Preparation of silver nanoparticles by chemical reduction method. Colloids Surf A 2005;256(2-3):111-15.
33. Bard AJ, Faulkner LR. Electrochemical Methods: Fundamental and Application. New York: Wiley; 2000.
34. Gosser DK. Cyclic Voltammetry Simulation and Analysis of Reaction Mechanisms. Weinheim: VCH; 1993.
35. Yin H, Zhang Q, Zhou Y, Ma Q, Liu T, Zhu L, et al. Electrochemical behaviour of catechol, resorcinol and hydroquinone at grapheme-chitosan composite film modified glassy carbon electrode and their simultaneous determination in water samples. Electrochim Acta 2011;56(6):2748-753.
36. Zhang D, Peng Y, Qi H, Gao Q, Zhang C. Application of multielectrode array modified with carbon nanotubes to simultaneous amperometric determination of dihydroxybenzene isomers. Sens Actuators B 2009;136(1):113-21.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.