A SIMPLE REVERSE PHASE-HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF VALSARTAN IN BULK AND ITâ€™S TABLET DOSAGE FORM
Objective: The most important objective of the present research work is to develop simple, specific, rapid, accurate, and sensitive reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography method and validated for the qualitative and quantitative determination of valsartan in its active pharmaceutical ingredient and tablet dosage form according to ICH guidelines.
Proposed Method: An isocratic separation was done using Phenomenex C18 column possess 75Ã—4.6 mm, 2.6 Î¼,100 A0 dimensions with mobile phase composition of water:acetonitrile (30:70% v/v) by maintaining 1 ml/minute flow rate and response detected at a wavelength of 247 nm.
Results: The retention time of valsartan was found to be 2.71 minutes, limit of detection and limit of quantification were observed at 1.24 Î¼g/ml and 3.6 Î¼g/ml concentration, respectively, and a calibration curve was linear in the concentration range of 5-50 Î¼g/ml with coefficient of correlation 0.99. The percentage recovery (accuracy) was in the range of 98.9-102%, and the % relative standard deviation was observed to be <2%.
Conclusion: The proposed method was validated for accuracy, precision, sensitivity, linearity, and robustness and successfully employed for the quantitative determination of valsartan in tablet dosage form in quality control department of pharmaceutical industry.
2. Tatar S, SaglÃk S. Comparison of UV-and second derivative-spectrophotometric and LC methods for the determination of valsartan in pharmaceutical formulation. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;30(2):371-5.
3. Shah NJ, Suhagia BN, Shah RR, Patel NM. HPTLC Method for the simultaneous estimation of valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;71(1):72-4.
4. Vinzuda DU, Sailor GU, Sheth N. R RP-HPLC method for determination of valsartan in tablet dosage form. Int J ChemTech Res 2010;2(3):1461-7.
5. Imam SS, Ahad A, Aqil M, Sultana Y, Ali A. A validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of propranolol and valsartan in bulk drug and gel formulation. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2013;5(1):61-5.
6. Sharma T, Chandra SI. A validated gradient stability indicating LC method for the analysis of valsartan in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(9):128-33.
7. Pradhan KK, Mishrab US. Development and validation of a stability indicating rp-hplc method for the determination of valsartan. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;7(8):57-61.
8. Sethi PD. HPLC Quantitative Analysis of Pharmaceutical Formulations. 1st ed. Delhi: CBS Publishers; 2001.
9. ICH. Q2B Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology. International Conference on Harmonization. Geneva: IFPMA; 1996.