CARDIOPROTECTIVE EFFECT OF INDIGOFERA TINCTORIA LINN. AGAINST MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION-INDUCED RATS
Â Objective: The aim and objective of the present study are to study the protective effects of ethanolic extract of Indica tinctoria (EEIT) in isoproterenol-induced acute myocardial infarction (AMI) in rats.
Methods: The effect of two doses of isoproterenol (5 mg/kg and 8.5 mg/kg body weight) changes in aspartate transaminase (AST), alanine transaminase (ALT), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), creatine phosphokinase (CPK), and total protein (TP) and lipid hydroperoxides, superoxide dismutase (SOD), and glutathione (GSH) in blood serum and heart homogenate, for the two consecutive days (29 and 30), were administered subcutaneously in rats in pre-treatment with EEIT for the 28-day study.
Results: There was increased the AST, ALT, LDH, CPK, and lipid peroxides levels and decreased the TP, SOD, GSH with Isoproterenol-induced group. Pre-treatment for 28 days with Indigofera tinctoria significantly (p<0.05) increased antioxidants (SOD , GSH) , TP levels and decreased the cardiotoxic agents significantly (p<0.05) such as LPO, AST, ALT, LDH, and CPK levels in treatment groups.
Conclusion: I. tinctoria contains beneficial bioactive photochemicals that have been protective effective against isoproterenol-induced AMI in rats.
2. Zhou R, Xu Q, Zheng P, Yan L, Zheng J, Dai G. Cardioprotective effect of fluvastatin on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rat. Eur J Pharmacol 2008;586:244-50.
3. Rajadurai M, Prince PS. Preventive effect of naringin on lipid peroxides and antioxidants in isoproterenol-induced cardiotoxicity in Wistar rats: Biochemical and histopathological evidences. Toxicology 2006;228:259-68.
4. Rathore N, John S, Kale M, Bhatnagar D. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in isoproterenol induced oxidative stress in rat tissues. Pharmacol Res 1998;38:297-303.
5. Suchalatha S, Shyamala DC. Protective effect of Terminalia chebula
against experimental myocardial injury induced by isoproterenol. Indian J Exp Biol 2004;42:174-8.
6. Latha B, Latha MS. Antioxidant and curative effect of Leucas aspera methanolic extract against carbontetra chloride induced acute liver injury in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;5:374-8.
7. Srinivasahan V, Durairaj B. Antioxidant and free radical scavenging effect of Morinda citrifolia fruit extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:55-9.
8. Asuntha G, Prasannaraju Y, Prasad KV. Effect of ethanol extract of Indigofera tinctoria Linn (Fabaceae) on lithium/pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus and oxidative stress in Wistar rats. Trop J Pharm Res 2010;9:149-56.
9. Verma SM, Suresh KB, Amit V. Antidiabetic activity of leaves of Indigofera tinctoria Linn (Fabaceae). Int J Toxicol Pharmacol Res 2010;1:42-3.
10. King J. Practical Clinical Enzymology. London: Van Nostrand Co. Ltd.; 1965. p. 121.
11. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissue with thiobarbituric acid reaction. Ann Biochem 1951;195:133-40.
12. Kakkal P, Das B, Viswanatha PN. A modified spectrophotometric of superoxide dismutase. Indian J Biomed Biophysiol 1984;21:131-2.
13. Tietze F. Quantitative determination of Glutathione: Enzymatic method. Anal Chem 1969;27:502-20.
14. Okhawa H, Ohisini N, Yagi K. Reaction of linoleic acid hydroperoxides with tiobarbituric acid. Anal Biochem 1979;95:133.
15. Asdaq SM, Chakraborty M. Myocardial potency of Semecarpus anacardium nut against isoproterenol induced myocardial damage in rat. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;2:10-3.
16. Muthu R, Madhesh M, Malaiyandi S, Vaiyapuri M. Cardioprotective effect of black cumin on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rats. J Pharm Res 2011;4:2040-4.
17. Sasikumar CS, Devii CS. Protective effect of abana, a poly-herbal formulation, on isoproterenol-induced Myocardial infarction in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2000;32:198-201.
18. Muralidharan P, Balamurugan G, Kumar P. Inotropic and cardio-protective effects of Daucus carota Linn. On isoproterenol- induced myocardi infarction. J Bangladesh Pharmacol Soc 2008;3:74-9.
19. Singh R, Sharma S, Sharma V. Comparative and quantitative analysis of antioxidant and scavenging potential of Indigofera tinctoria Linn. Extracts. J Integr Med 2015;13:269-78.
20. Rajendran R, Suseela L, Sundaram RM, Basha NS. Cardio stimulant activity of bark and wood of Premna serratifolia. J Bangladesh Pharmacol Soc 2008;3:107-13.
21. Mohanty IR, Arya DS, Gupta SK. Dietary Curcuma longa protects myocardium against isoproterenol induced hemodynamic, biochemical and histopathological alternations in rats. Int J Appl Res Nat Prod 2009;1:19-28.
22. Murugesan M, Revathi R, Manju V. Cardio-protective effect of fenugreek on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2011;43:516-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.