DESIGN AND SYNTHESIS OF BENZODIAZEPINES BEARING BENZIMIDAZOLE/BENZOTHIAZOLE AND INDOLE MOIETIES AS A POTENT ANTIMICROBIAL AND ANTIOXIDANT AGENTS
Â Objective: The present work deals with the synthesis and characterization of biologically active new indole derivatives, namely, 2-((1H-benzo[d] imidazol-2-yl) thio)-N-(4-(4-(1H-indol-3-yl)-8-methyl-1H-benzo[b][1,4]diazepin-2-yl) phenyl) acetamide 3a-d, N-(4-(4-(1H-indol-3-yl)-8-methyl- 1H-benzo[b][1,4]diazepin-2-yl) phenyl)-2-((5-methoxy-1H-benzo[d]imidazol-2-yl) thio) acetamide 4a-d and N-(4-(4-(1H-indol-3-yl)-8-methyl-1H-benzo[b][1,4]diazepin-2-yl) phenyl)-2-(benzo[d]thiazol-2-ylthio) acetamide 5a-d.
Methods: All these newly synthesized compounds were screened for their in vitro antimicrobial activity by an agar plate diffusion method, antioxidant activities such as 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), radical scavenging activity (RSA), ferric ions (Fe3+) reducing antioxidant power (FRAP), and ferrous (Fe2+) metal ion chelating activity.
Result: The structures of all the newly synthesized compounds were characterized by their infrared,1H nuclear magnetic resonance, mass spectral studies, and elemental analysis. Compounds 7a and 7b exhibited good RSA at a concentration 100 Î¼g/ml, compounds 6d, 7a-d and 8a-c displayed good FRAP at a concentration 100 Î¼g/ml, compounds 7b-d and 8b-d showed good Fe2+ ion metal chelating activity. Compounds 6b, 6d, 7a-d, and 8a-d exhibited good activity against all the screened bacteria and fungi.
Conclusion: Some of the compounds have shown potent antimicrobial activity against all the screened bacteria and fungi, and some have exhibited very good antioxidant activity.
2. Baun DJ, Pallos FM, Baker DR. US Patent 3,978,227, 1976. Chem Abstr 1977;86:5498d.
3. Naraboli BS, Biradar JS. Synthesis, characterization and biological evaluation of indole derivatives bearing benzimidazole/benzothiazole moiety. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(8):128-38.
4. Sandra CM, Eduardo CC, Simon HO, Teresa RA, Antonio NC, Lijanova IV, et al. Anticancer activity and anti-inflammatory studies of 5-aryl-1, 4-benzodiazepine derivatives. Anticancer Agents Med Chem 2012;12(6):611-8.
5. Henderson EA, Alber DG, Baxter RC, Bithell SK, Budworth J, Carter MC, et al. 1,4-benzodiazepines as inhibitors of respiratory syncytial virus. The identification of a clinical candidate. J Med Chem 2007;50(7):1685-92.
6. Griffin CE 3rd, Kaye AM, Bueno FR, Kaye AD. Benzodiazepine pharmacology and central nervous system-mediated effects. Ochsner J 2013;13(2):214-23.
7. Sundberg RJ. The Chemistry of Indoles. New York: Academic Press; 1996.
8. Sayed MT, Hamdy NA, Osman DA, Ahmed KM. Indole as anti-cancer agents. Adv Mod Oncol Res 2015;1(1):20-35.
9. Biradar JS, Sasidhar BS, Parveen R. Synthesis, antioxidant and DNA cleavage activities of novel indole derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 2010;45(9):4074-8.
10. Abdel RF. Synthesis of some new indole derivatives containing pyrazoles with potential antitumor activity. ARKIVOC 2010;11:177-87.
11. Ragno R, Artico M, De Martino G, La Regina G, Coluccia A, Di Pasquali A, et al. Docking and 3-D QSAR studies on indolyl aryl sulfones. Binding mode exploration at the HIV-1 reverse transcriptase non-nucleoside binding site and design of highly active N-(2-hydroxyethyl) carboxamide and N-(2-hydroxyethyl) carbohydrazide derivatives. J Med Chem 2005;48(1):213-23.
12. Sabrina RA, Biplab KD, Shahadat H, Uttom K, Abu SS. Synthesis and antioxidant activity of 2-substituted-5-nitro benzimidazole derivatives. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(1):308-10.
13. Chen G, Liu Z, Zhang Y, Shan X, Jiang L, Zhao Y, et al. Synthesis and anti-inflammatory evaluation of novel benzimidazole and imidazopyridine derivatives. ACS Med Chem Lett 2012;4(1):69-74.
14. Radha Y, Manjula A, Madhava B, Vittalrao B. Synthesis and biological activity of novel benzimidazoles. Indian J Chem 2011;50B:1762-73.
15. Zou R, Ayres KR, Drach JC, Townsend LB. Synthesis and antiviral evaluation of certain disubstituted benz imidazole rib nucleosides. J Med Chem 1996;39(18):3477-82.
16. Shingalapur RV, Hosamani KM, Keri RS, Hugar MH. Derivatives of benzimidazole pharmacophore: Synthesis, anticonvulsant, antidiuretic and DNA cleavage studies. Eur J Med Chem 2010;45(5):1753-9.
17. Vinodkumar R, Vaidya SD, Siva Kumar BV, Bhise UN, Bhirud SB, Mashelkar UC. Synthesis, anti-bacterial, anti-asthmatic and anti-diabetic activities of novel N-substituted-2-(4-phenylethynyl-phenyl)-1H-benzimidazoles and N-substituted 2[4-(4,4-dimethyl-thiochroman-6-yl-ethynyl)-phenyl)-1H-benzimidazoles. Eur J Med Chem 2008;43(5):986-95.
18. Bradshaw TD, Westwell AD. The development of the antitumour benzothiazole prodrug, Phortress, as a clinical candidate. Curr Med Chem 2004;11(8):1009-21.
19. Bhupendra M, Rahul VP, Young-SK, Doo HK. Evaluation of the biological potencies of newly synthesized bebeerine derivatives bearing benzothiazole moieties with substituted functionalities. J Saudi Chem Soc 2017;21:210-19.
20. Jitender KM, Himesh S, Singhai AK. Synthesis, characterization and evaluation for antifungal activity of substituted diaryl imidazo [2, 1, b]-benzothiazole. J Pharm Res 2013;7(1):39-46.
21. Suresh M, Sridevi G, Nuthangi S, Palakondu L, Sreekanth, Jonnalagadda B. Synthesis, antibacterial and antifungal activity of novel benzothiazole pyrimidine derivatives. Arab J Chem 2016;9:681-7.
22. Sunil K, Rathore DS, Gopal G, Kapil K, Rahul S, Sanjeev KS. Synthesis and evaluation of some benzothiazole derivatives as antidiabetic agents. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;9(2):60-8.
23. Kalpesh P, Deepkumar J. Antibacterial and antifungal screening of newly synthesized benzimidazole-clubbed chalcone derivatives. Med Chem Res 2013;22:3688-97.
24. National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS). Wayne, Pennsylvania 19087-1898, USA. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing: 20th Informational Supplement 2002, M100-S12 [M7].
25. Hatano T, Kagawa H, Yasuhara T, Okuda T. Two new flavonoids and other constituents in licorice root: Their relative astringency and radical scavenging effects. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo)1988;36(6):2090-7.
26. Oyaizu M. Studies on products of browning reactions: Ant oxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jpn Nut 1986;44:307-15.
27. Dinis TC, Maderia VM, Almeida LM. Action of phenolic derivatives (acetaminophen, salicylate, and 5-aminosalicylate) as inhibitors of membrane lipid peroxidation and as peroxyl radical scavengers. Arch Biochem Biophys 1994;315(1):161-9.
28. Pushpa H, Naraboli BS, Biradar JS. Synthesis, characterization, and biological activity of novel n-phenylpropyl-3-substituted indoline-2-one derivatives. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(10):165-70.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.