SILVER NANOPARTICLES FROM MEDICINALLY IMPORTANT EUPHORBIA CYATHOPHORA EXTRACT: BIOSYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION, AND ANTICANCER ACTIVITY.
Objective: The present study was aimed at the biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using aqueous extract of Euphorbia cyathophora leaves
and testing their anticancer potential using HT-29 cell line model.
Methods: Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles was obtained with the aqueous extract of E. cyathophora. The synthesized nanoparticles were
confirmed initially by ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy. Further, scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, and X-Ray diffraction
studies also ensured the presence of silver nanoparticles. Zeta potential studies revealed the stability of the silver nanoparticles.
Results: Antioxidant and anticancer studies of the nanoparticles against HT-29 cell line exhibited remarkable results.
Conclusion: This ensures that the synthesized nanoparticles play an important role in medicinal biology.
2. De Jong WH, Borm PJ. Drug delivery and nanoparticles: Applications and hazards. Int J Nanomedicine 2008;3:133-49.
3. Sriranjani R, Srinithya B, Vadivel V, Brindha P, Anthony SP,Sivasubramanian A, et al. Silver nanoparticle synthesis using Clerodendrum phlomidis leaf extract and investigation of its antioxidant and anticancer activities. J Mol Liquids 2016;220:926-30.
4. Srinithya B, Kumar VV, Vadivel V, Pemaiah B, Anthony SP, Muthuraman MS. Synthesis of biofunctionalized AgNPs using medicinally important Sida cordifolia leaf extract for enhanced antioxidant and anticancer activities. Mater Lett 2016;170:101-4.
5. Chitra M, Senthilkumar N, Asrafali M. Antimicrobial and wound healing activities of Euphorbia cyathophora. Int J Pharmacol Res 2014;4:59-61.
6. Balaji P, Arun KP, Kumar RS, Sundaram MM, Brindha P. Isolation and identification of adaptogenic protein from Cicer arietinum Linn. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:79-82.
7. Deepika KS, Navya KR, Muthuraman MS, Natesan R, Raj CD,Pemaiah B. Evaluation of in vitro anticancer potential of ethanolic extract and its different fractions of Caesalpinia bonduc (L) Roxb seeds. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:311-4.
8. Li L, Sun J, Li X, Zhang Y, Wang Z, Wang C, et al. Controllable synthesis of monodispersed silver nanoparticles as standards for quantitative assessment of their cytotoxicity. Biomaterials 2012;33:1714-21.
9. Xia T, Kovochich M, Brant J, Hotze M, Sempf J, Oberley T, et al. Comparison of the abilities of ambient and manufactured nanoparticles to induce cellular toxicity according to an oxidative stress paradigm Nano Lett 2006;6:1794-807.
10. Ott M, Gogvadze V, Orrenius S, Zhivotovsky B. Mitochondria, oxidative stress and cell death. Apoptosis 2007;12:913-22.
11. Raman RP, Parthiban S, Srinithya B, Kumar VV, Anthony SP, Sivasubramanian S, et al. Biogenic silver nanoparticles synthesis using the extract of the medicinal plant Clerodendron serratum and its in-vitro antiproliferative activity. Mater Lett 2015;160:400-3.