ANTIHYPERLIPIDEMIC PROPERTY OF BOERHAVIA DIFFUSA LEAF EXTRACT IN STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED DIABETIC RATS
Â Objectives: The aim of the present research was to evaluate the antidiabetic, hyperlipidemic, and histopathological analysis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats (60 mg/kg body weight) using the ethanolic extract of leaves of Boerhavia diffusa (ELBD) (500 mg/kg body weight).
Method: The rats were orally administered with the leaf extract for 45 days. Fasting blood was collected at the end of the experimental period by cardiac puncture to carry out the biochemical parameters, the organs such as liver, kidney, and pancreas were also excised to perform the histopathological analysis by fixing in 10% formalin solution.
Results: Oral administration with the leaf extract resulted in decrease in the levels of blood glucose, with a concomitant increase in their body weight. The extracts also produced a significant decrease in the lipid levels when compared with the diabetic groups. Moreover, the extracts also exerted a favorable effect on the histopathological changes of liver, pancreas, and kidney.
Conclusion: The results of the present study revealed that the ELBD possess antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic properties. These effects may be due to the presence of bioactive components justifying its ethnomedical use.
2. Gavamukulya Y, Abou-Elella F, Wamunyokoli F, AEl-Shemy H. Phytochemical screening, anti-oxidant activity and in vitro anticancer potential of ethanolic and water leaves extracts of Annona muricata (Graviola). Asian Pac J Trop Med 2014;7S1:S355-63.
3. Patil KS, Bhalsing SR. Efficient micropropagation and assessment of genetic fidelity of Boerhaavia diffusa L- High trade medicinal plant. Physiol Mol Biol Plants 2015;21:425-32.
4. Hjelm M, de Verdier CH. A methodological study of the enzymatic determination of glucose in blood. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1963;15:415-28.
5. Allain CC, Poon LS, Chan CS, Richmond W, Fu PC. Enzymatic determination of total serum cholesterol. Clin Chem 1974;20:470-5.
6. Van Handel E, Zilversmit DB, Micromethod for the direct determination of serum triglycerides, Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine 1957;50:152-7.
7. Zilversmit DB, Davis AK. Microdetermination of phospholipids by TCA precipitation. J Lab Clin Med 1950;35:155-9.
8. Culling CF. Handbook of Histopathological and Histochemical Techniques. 3rd ed. New York: Butterworth and Co. Ltd.; 1979. p. 7.
9. Karki H, Upadhayay K, Pal H, Singh R. Antidiabetic potential of Zanthoxylum armatum bark extract on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Int J Green Pharm 2014;8:77-83.
10. Mohan Y, Jesuthankaraj GN, Ramasamy Thangavelu N. Antidiabetic and antioxidant properties of Triticum aestivum in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Adv Pharmacol Sci 2013;2013:716073.
11. Gandhi GR, Sasikumar P. Antidiabetic effect of Merremia emarginata burm. F. In streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:281-6.
12. Divi SM, Bellamkonda R, Dasireddy SK. Evaluation of antidiabetic and antihyperlipedemic potential of aqueous extract of Moringa oleifera in fructose fed insulin resistant and stz induced diabetic Wistar rats: A comparative study. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:67-72.
13. Kumar V, Anwar F, Ahmed D, Verma A, Ahmed A, Damanhouri ZA, et al. Paederia foetida linn. Leaf extract: An antihyperlipidemic, antihyperglycaemic and antioxidant activity. BMC Complement Altern Med 2014;14:76.
14. Dong Y, Jing T, Meng Q, Liu C, Hu S, Ma Y, et al. Studies on the antidiabetic activities of Cordyceps militaris extract in dietstreptozotocin-induced diabetic sprague-dawley rats. Biomed Res Int 2014;1-11.
15. Gandhimathi S, Bai GV. Antidiabetic activity of Randia dumetorum against streptozotocin (STZ) induced diabetics in rats. Int J Pharm Res 2014;4:126-9.
16. Mishra J, Dash AK, Dash DK, Hypoglycemic, hypolipidemic and antioxidant potentials of specially formulate polyherbal, formulation in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Eur Sci J 2014;10:340-51.
17. Soliman HA, Eltablawy NA, Hamed MS. The ameliorative effect of Petroselinum crispum (Parsley) on some diabetes complications. J Med Plants Stud 2015;3:92-100.
18. Subashini S, Kripa KG, Pugalendi KV. Hypolipidemic potential of methanolic extract of Gracilaria corticata on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:402-5.
19. Oche O, Sani I, Chilaka NG, Samuel NU, Samuel A. Pancreatic islet regeneration and some liver biochemical parameters of leaf extracts of Vitex doniana in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic albino rats. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2014;4:124-30.
20. Latha S, Rajaram K, Kumar PS. Hepatoprotective and antidiabetic effect of methanolic extract of Caralluma fimbriata in streptozotocin induced diabetic Albino rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:665-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.