FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF ALGINATE-BASED MUCOADHESIVE BUCCAL PATCH FOR DELIVERY OF ANTIMIGRAINE DRUG
Â Objective: The present work was aimed with enhancement of oral bioavailability of sumatriptan succinate by sodium alginate-based mucoadhesive buccal patches.
Methods: These patches were prepared by solvent-casting method using different concentrations of sodium alginate along with HPMC 5cps and maltodextrin as a film-forming polymer. Propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, and mannitol were used as plasticizer, penetration enhancer, and filler, respectively. Prepared patches were evaluated with respect to various in vitro parameters and in vivo studies were conducted on white strain New Zealand rabbits of either sex with average weight 2â€“3 kg.
Results: All the formulations were transparent and homogeneous. F7 formulation containing Na alginate (250 mg), maltodextrin (250 mg), and HPMC 5cps (250 mg) displayed maximum folding endurance, mucoadhesive force, in vitro drug transport, and drug release and found to be stable up to 2 months in storage conditions. The pharmacokinetic parameters such as Cmax, tmax, and AUC were calculated from the data collected after in vivo studies. Sumatriptan succinate containing buccal patch displayed almost 1.73 folds and 2 folds higher Cmax and AUC, respectively, than plain drug solution. 1.93% of relative bioavailability was reported with the formulation.
Conclusion: The outcome of the present work reveals that sumatriptan succinate-based mucoadhesive buccal formulation can improve overall performance of drug molecule in vitro and in vivo.
2.Darekar SS, Khadabadi SS, Shahi SR. Formulation and evaluation of bilayer buccal tablet of sumatriptan succinate. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:469-75.
3Shivanand K, Raju S, Nizamuddin S, Jayakar B. In vivo bioavailability studies of sumatriptan succinate buccal tablets. Daru 2011;19:224-30.
4.Miller N, Johnston T. The use of mucoadhesive polymers in buccal drug delivery. Adv Drug Del Rev 2005;57:1666-91.
5. Khairnar A, Sayyad F. Development of buccal drug delivery system based on mucoadhesive polymer. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:719-35.
6. Amir HS. Buccal Mucosa as a route for systemic drug delivery: A review. J Pharm Pharm Sci 1998;1:15-30.
7. Arya A, Amrish C, Sharma V, Kamla P. Fast dissolving oral films: An innovative drug delivery system and dosage form. Int J ChemTech Res 2010;2:576-83.
8. Balagani PK, Pallepati KK, Jyothshna D. Formulation design and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablets of nitroglycerin. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:251-59.
9. Himabindu P, Mohan CK, Nagaraj B. Design and in vitro characterization of mucoadhesive buccal patches Of duloxetine hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:53-9.
10. Rajesh M, Kishor D, Raj WU, Shripal A. Review on study of buccal drug delivery system. Innov Syst Design Eng 2011;2:24-35.
11. Patil SL, Mahaparale RR, Shivnikar MA, Tiwari SS, Pawar KV, Sane PN. Fast dissolving oral films: An innovative drug delivery system. Int J Res Rev Pharm Appl Sci 2012;2:482-49.
12. Hoogstraatea AJ, Wertza WP, Philip WW. Drug delivery via thebuccal mucosa. Pharm Sci Tech Today 1998;1:309-16.
13. Koland M, Sandeep VP, Charyulu NR. Fast dissolving sublingual films of ondansetron hydrochloride; Effect of additives on in vitro drug release and mucosal permeation. J Young Pharm 2010;2:216-22.
14. Sayed S, Ibrahim HK, Mohamed MI, El-Milligi MF. Fast-dissolving sublingual films of terbutaline sulfate: Formulation and in vitro/in vivo evaluation. Mol Pharm 2013;10:2942-7.
15. Attama AA, Akpa PA, Onugwu LE, Igwilo G. Novel bucco adhesive delivery system of hydrochlorothiazide formulated with ethyl cellulose hydroxypropyl methylcellulose interpolymer complex. Sci Res Essays 2008;3:343-47.
16. Kumar SK, Maddi VN, Rao KR, Bhikshapathi DV. Preparation and in vivo evaluation of oral dissolving films containing sumatriptan succinate. Pharm Lett 2013;3:27-38.
17. Shidhaye SS, Saindane NS, Sutar S, Kadam V. Mucoadhesive bilayered patches for administration of sumatriptan succinate. AAPS PharmSci Tech 2008;9:909-16.
18. Nafee NA, Boraie MA, Ismail FA, Mortada LM. Design and characterization of mucoadhesive buccal patches containing cetylpyridinium chloride. Acta Pharm 2003;53:199-212.
19. Bogataj M, Vovk T, Kerec M, Dimnik A, Grabnar I, Mrhar A. The correlation between zeta potential and mucoadhesion strength on pig vesical mucosa. Biol Pharm Bull 2003;26:743-46.
20. Nafee NA, Ismail FA, Boraie NA, Mortada LM. Mucoadhesive delivery systems. II. Formulation and in-vitro/in-vivo evaluation of buccal mucoadhesive tablets containing water-soluble drugs. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2004;30:995-1004.
21. Khan KA. The concept of dissolution efficiency. J Pharm Pharmacol 1975;27:48-9.
22. Prabhakara P, Malli R, Koland M, Vijaynarayana K, Dâ€™Souza U, Harish NM, et al. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving films of levocitirizine di hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Investig 2011;1:99-104.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.