DESIGN, SYNTHESIS, AND PHARMACOLOGICAL EVALUATION OF SOME NOVEL BIS-THIAZOLE DERIVATIVES
Â Objective: A series of substituted 5,2-bis-thiazoles derivatives were synthesized by Hantzsch reaction and evaluated in vitro for antimicrobial activity against Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Bacillus subtilis, and Staphylococcus aureus.
Methods: 2-(4-(benzyloxy)phenyl)-4-methylthiazole-5-carbothioamide were synthesized and allowed to react with various Î±-haloketones to give 5,2-bis-thiazoles, i.e., 2-(4-(benzyloxy)phenyl)-4-methyl-5-(4-substituted thiazol-2-yl)thiazole derivatives in excellent yield. The synthesized compounds were characterized by spectroscopic methods as well as elemental analyses. They were screened for their antimicrobial activity using the agar diffusion method.
Result: Literature survey reveals that the synthesis of 2-(4-(benzyloxy)phenyl)-4-methyl-5-(4-substituted thiazol-2-yl)thiazole, i.e., (5,2-Bis-thiazoles) derivatives (10a-e) was not reported. The entire compound exhibited mild to moderate antimicrobial activity.
Conclusion: The antimicrobial results revealed that the synthesized derivatives have significant antimicrobial properties, and further, structureâ€“ activity relationship studies may develop more potent and less toxic molecule.
2. Rajanarendar E, Ramkrishna S, Murthy KR. Synthesis of novel isoxazolylbis-thiazolo [3,2-a] pyrimidines. Chin Chem Lett 2012;23:899.
3. Glover C, Merrit E, Bagley EA. Synthesis of saramycetic acid. Tetrahedron Lett 2007;48:7027.
4. Oka Y, Yabuuchi T, Fujii Y, Ohtake H, Wakahara S, Matsumoto K, et al. Discovery and optimization of a series of 2-aminothiazole-oxazoles as potent phosphoinositide 3-kinase Î³ inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2012;22:7534-8.
5. Watanabe M, Uesugi M. Small-molecule inhibitors of SREBP activation â€“ Potential for new treatment of metabolic disorders. Med Chem Comm 2013;4:1422.
6. Fock KM, Talley N, Hunt R, Fass R, Nandurkar S, Lam SK, et al. Report of the Asia-pacific consensus on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004;19:357.
7. Tiperciuc B, Zaharia V, Colosi I, Moldovan C, CriÅŸan O, PÃ®rnau A, et al. Synthesis and evaluation of antimicrobial activity of some new hetaryl-azoles derivatives obtained from 2-aryl-4-methylthiazol-5-carbohydrazides and isonicotinic acid hydrazide. J Heterocycl Chem 2012;49:1407-14.
8. Brown K, Cater DP, Cavalla JF, Green D, Newberry RA, Wilson AB. Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agents. 1.2,4-Diphenylthiazole-5-acetic acid and related compounds. J Med Chem 1994;14:1177.
9. Kumar S, Rathore DS, Garg G, Khatri K, Saxena R, Sahu SK. Synthesis and evaluation of some benzothiazole derivatives as antidiabetic agent. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;9:60-8.
10. Shanmukha I, Kumar MV, Jayachandran E, Revanasiddappa BC. Antiepileptic activity of some novel substituted Fluoro benzthiazole derivatives. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:157-9.
11. Shiran JA, Yahyazadeh MA, Mamaghani A, Rassa M. Regioselective synthesis of novel 3-allyl-2-(substituted imino)-4-phenyl-3H-thiazole and 2,2â€²-(1,3-phenylene) bis(3-substituted-2-imino-4-phenyl-3H-thiazole) derivatives as antibacterial agents. J Mol Struct 2013;1039:113.
12. Vikas Shinde, Pramod Mahulikar, Pravin C Mhaske, Laxman Nawale, Dhiman Sarkar, Synthesis and biological evaluation of new 2-aryl-4-((4-aryl-1H-1,2,3-triazol-1-yl)methyl)thiazole derivatives, Res ChemIntermed, 2017, 4, 1164-1169.
13. Limban C, Chifiriuc MC. Antibacterial activity of new dibenzoxepinone oximes with fluorine and trifluoromethyl group substituents. Int J Mol Sci 2011;12:6432-44.
14. Limban AM, Grumezescu C, Saviuc G, Voicu G, Predan R Sakizlian MC. Chifiriuc, optimized anti-pathogenic agents based on core/shell nanostructures and 2-((4-ethylphenoxy)methyl)-N-(substituted-phenylcarbamothioyl)-benzamides. Int J Mol Sci 2012;13:12584-97.
15. Limban C, Marutescu L, Chifiriuc MC. Synthesis, spectroscopic properties and antipathogenic activity of new thiourea derivatives. Molecules 2011;16:7593.
16. Olar R, Badea M, Marinescu D, Chifiriuc MC, Bleotu C, Grecu MN, et al. N-dimethylbiguanide complexes displaying low cytotoxicity as potential large spectrum antimicrobial agents. Eur J Med Chem 2010;45:3027.
17. Limban C, Chifiriuc BC, Missir AV, Chirita IC, Bleotu C. Antimicrobial activity of some new thioureides derived from 2-(4-Chlorophenoxymethyl) benzoic acid. Molecules 2008;13:567-80.
18. Beale JM, Block JH. Wilsonâ€™s and Gisvoldâ€™s Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. 12rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2011. p. 281-324, 349-404.
19. Sravanthi TV, Pottem MR, Manju SL. Design and synthesis of bis thiazol-2-ylidenes. Asian J Chem 2013;25:5370-72.
20. Fahmy FH, Bekhit AA. Synthesis and characterization of some novel 5,2 and 4,2 bisthiazoles derivatives. Pharmazie 2002;57:500.
21. Boucher HW, Talbot GH, Bradley JS, Edwards JE, Gilbert D, Rice LB, et al. Bad bugs, no drugs: No ESKAPE! An update from the infectious diseases society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2009;48:1-2.
22. Reddy PB, Reddy SM, Rajanarendar E, Murthy A. Antifungal activity ofisoxazolyl thiazolidin-4-ones. Indian Phytopathol 1984;37:370.
23. Cruickshank R, Duguid JP, Marion BP, Swain RH. Medicinal Microbiology. 12th ed., Vol. II. London: Churchill Livingstone; 1975. p. 196-202.
24. Pai ST, Platt MW. Antifungal of Allium sativum (garlic) extract against the Aspergillus species involved in otomycosis. Lett Appl Microbiol 1995;20:14-8.