PHARMACOLOGICAL SCREENING OF GERANIUM OIL FOR ITS ANTIDEPRESSANT POTENTIAL
Â Objective: The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of geranium oil on depression-related behavior of mice in the forced swimming test (FST), tail suspension test (TST), and open field test (OFT).
Materials and Methods: The animals were divided into three groups containing six animals in each group. Group I served as a control group and treated with dist. Water (10 ml/kg, p.o), Group II served as standard and treated with imipramine (15 mg/kg, p.o) and Group III served as test group and treated with geranium oil (200 mg/kg, inhalation method) for 14 days. On the 14 days after the treatment of drug and standard total duration of immobility was recorded for 6 minutes using TST, FST and the total number of crossings, time spent in center, time spent in periphery recorded for 5 minutes in OFT.
Results: Geranium oil significantly reduced the duration of immobility as compared to control group in FST and TST model. Total number of crossings, time spent in the center significantly increased, whereas time spent in periphery significantly decreased as compared to control group in OFT.
Conclusion: These results suggested that geranium oil has the significant antidepressant potential.
Keywords: Depression, Geranium oil, Tail suspension test, Forced swim test, Open field test.
2. Hsu LC, Ko YJ, Cheng HY, Chang CW, Lin YC, Cheng YH, et al. Antidepressant-Like activity of the ethanolic extract from Uncaria lanosa wallich var. appendiculata ridsd in the forced swimming test and in the tail suspension test in mice. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012;2012:497302.
3. Potdar VH, Kibile SJ. Evaluation of antidepressant-like effect of citrus maxima leaves in animal models of depression. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2011;14(5):478-83.
4. Boukhatem MN, Kameli A, Ferhat MA, Saidi F, Mekarnia M. Rose geranium essential oil as a source of new and safe anti-inflammatory drugs. Libyan J Med 2013;8:22520.
5. Souto-Maior FN, de Carvalho FL, de Morais LC, Netto SM, de Sousa DP, de Almeida RN. Anxiolytic-like effects of inhaled linalool oxide in experimental mouse anxiety models. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2011;100(2):259-63.
6. Kothari S, Minda M, Tonpay SD. Anxiolytic and antidepressant activities of methanol extract of Aegle marmelos leaves in mice. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2010;54(4):318-28.
7. Shafeen S, Reddy TS, Arafath S, Nagarjuna S, Reddy YP. Evaluation of antianxiety and antidepressant activity of Cassia occidentalis leaves. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5 Suppl 3:47-50.
8. Santosh P, Venugopl R, Nilakash SA, Kunjbihari S, Mangala L. Antidepressant activity of methanolic extract of Passiflora foetida leaves in mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3(1):112-3.8.
9. Reddy HG, Rajashekharappa SR, Jayaram SK, Jyothi CH. Evaluation of antidepressant like activity of Crocus sativus Linn stigmas in mice. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;23(2):133-6.
10. 10. Gupta V, Bansal P, Kumar P, Shri R. Anxiolytic and antidepressant
11. activities of different extracts from Citrus paradisi Var. Duncan 2010;1(2):98-100.
12. Machado DG, Kaster MP, BinfarÃ© RW, Dias M, Santos AR, Pizzolatti MG, et al. Antidepressant-like effect of the extract from leaves of Schinus molle L. in mice: Evidence for the involvement of the monoaminergic system. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2007;31:421-8.
13. Moallem AS, Hosseinzadeh H, Ghoncheh F. Evaluation of antidepressant effects of aerial parts of Echium vulgare on mice. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2007;10(3):189-96.
14. Rajput SM, Sinha S, Mathur V, Agrawal P. Herbal antidepressants. Int J Pharm Front Res 2011;1(1):159-69.
15. Machado DG, Bettio LE, Cunha MP, Capra JC, Dalmarco JB, Pizzolatti MG, et al. Antidepressant-like effect of the extract of Rosmarinus officinalis in mice: Involvement of the monoaminergic system. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2009;33(4):642-50.
16. Petit-Demouliere B, Chenu F, Bourin M. Forced swimming test in mice: A review of antidepressant activity. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2005;177(3):245-55.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.