IDENTIFYING OF HUMAN METAPNEUMOVIRUS AND ITS PHENOTYPE AS A CAUSATIVE AGENTS OF PNEUMONIA IN CHILDREN
Objectives: The present investigational study was aimed to detect and identify the genotypes of Human metapneumovirus (hMPV) and its phylogeny with respiratory syncytial viruses (RSV) that cause pulmonary inflammation.
Material and Methods: A total of 250 samples of patients who were clinically diagnosed respiratory tract illness were collected from Maternity and Children Hospital in Al Diwaniyah city, Iraq. The clinical samples were nasopharyngeal, nasal and throat swabs. The current study screened the presence of hMPV and RSV (A and B) genotypes from nasopharyngeal specimens of children aged from several days to 10 years old.
Results: The results revealed that 6% were infected with hMPV, 8% of respiratory syncytial viruses type A (RSV-A) and 14% of respiratory syncytial virus's type B (RSV-B) from children who are suffering from respiratory illness. Phylogenetic tree analysis of hMPV based on the partial sequences of the fusion protein (F) gene was used for genotyping and detection. The phylogenetic tree was constructed using maximum likelihood tree method in MEGA 6.0 version. The local hMPV isolates (S1) were closely related to NCBI-Blast hMPV genotype A1 (KM408076.1), the local hMPV isolates (S2, S3, and S5) were closely related to NCBI-Blast hMPV genotype B1 (KJ196323.1), and the local hMPV isolates (S4) were closely related to NCBI-Blast hMPV genotype B2 (JQ041689.1).
Conclusions: The prevalence rate of hMPV is less than RSV, and both subtypes of hMPV, A and B may exist and circulate in one season, and the predominant sublineage of hMPV shifts in progressive season.
2. Boivin G, Abed Y, Pelletier G, Ruel L, Moisan D, CÃ´tÃ© S, et al. Virological features and clinical manifestations associated with human metapneumovirus: A new paramyxovirus responsible for acute respiratory-tract infections in all age groups. J Infect Dis 2002;186:1330-4.
3. Bosis S, Esposito S, Niesters HG, Crovari P, Osterhaus AD, Principi N, et al. Impact of human metapneumovirus in childhood: Comparison with respiratory syncytial virus and influenza viruses. J Med Virol 2005;75:101-4.
4. Schildgen V, van den Hoogen B, Fouchier R, Tripp RA, Alvarez R, Manoha C, et al. Human metapneumovirus: Lessons learned over the first decade. Clin Microbiol Rev 2011;24:734-54.
5.Peret TC, Boivin G, Li Y, Couillard M, Humphrey C, Osterhaus AD, et al. Characterization of human metapneumoviruses isolated from patients in north america. J Infect Dis 2002;185:1660-3. 6. Collins PL, Mottet G. Membrane orientation and oligomerization of the small hydrophobic protein of human respiratory syncytial virus. J Gen Virol 1993;74 (Pt 7):1445-50.
7. Easton AJ, Domachowske JB, Rosenberg HF. Animal pneumoviruses: Molecular genetics and pathogenesis. Clin Microbiol Rev 2004;17:390-412.
8. Kahn JS, Kesebir D, Cotmore SF, Dâ€™Abramo A Jr., Cosby C, Weibel C, et al. Seroepidemiology of human bocavirus defined using recombinant virus-like particles. J Infect Dis 2008;198:41-50.
9. Papenburg J, Boivin G. The distinguishing features of human metapneumovirus and respiratory syncytial virus. Rev Med Virol 2010;20:245-60. 10. Arnott A, Vong S, Sek M, Naughtin M, BeautÃ© J, Rith S, et al. Genetic variability of human metapneumovirus amongst an all ages population in cambodia between 2007 and 2009. Infect Genet Evol 2013;15:43-52.
11. Maggi F, Pifferi M, Vatteroni M, Fornai C, Tempestini E, Anzilotti S, et al. Human metapneumovirus associated with respiratory tract infections in a 3-year study of nasal swabs from infants in italy. J Clin Microbiol 2003;41:2987-91.
12. Kuypers J, Wright N, Corey L, Morrow R. Detection and quantification of human metapneumovirus in pediatric specimens by real-time RT-PCR. J Clin Virol 2005;33:299-305.
13. Sarasini A, Percivalle E, Rovida F, Campanini G, Genini E, Torsellini M, et al. Detection and pathogenicity of human metapneumovirus respiratory infection in pediatric italian patients during a winterâ€“spring season. J Clin Virol 2006;35:59-68.
14. Junior JB, Gardinassi LG, Simas PV, Bittar CO, Souza FP, Rahal P, et al. Human respiratory syncytial virus in children hospitalized for acute lower respiratory infection. J Pediatr (Rio J) 2011;87:219-24.
15. Bastien N, Normand S, Taylor T, Ward D, Peret TC, Boivin G, et al. Sequence analysis of the N, P, M and F genes of canadian human metapneumovirus strains. Virus Res 2003;93:51-62.
16. Biacchesi S, Pham QN, Skiadopoulos MH, Murphy BR, Collins PL, Buchholz UJ, et al. Infection of nonhuman primates with recombinant human metapneumovirus lacking the SH, G, or M2-2 protein categorizes each as a nonessential accessory protein and identifies vaccine candidates. J Virol 2005;79:12608-13.
17. Ulbrandt ND, Ji H, Patel NK, Barnes AS, Wilson S, Kiener PA, et al. Identification of antibody neutralization epitopes on the fusion protein of human metapneumovirus. J Gen Virol 2008;89:3113-8.
18. Ryder AB, Tollefson SJ, Podsiad AB, Johnson JE, Williams JV. Soluble recombinant human metapneumovirus G protein is immunogenic but not protective. Vaccine 2010;28:4145-52.
19. Esper F, Martinello RA, Boucher D, Weibel C, Ferguson D, Landry ML, et al. A 1-year experience with human metapneumovirus in children aged <5 years. J Infect Dis 2004;189:1388-96. 20. Drake JW. Rates of spontaneous mutation among RNA viruses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1993;90:4171-5.
21. Norâ€™e SS, Sam IC, Mohamad Fakri EF, Hooi PS, Nathan AM, de Bruyne JA, et al. Phylogenetic analysis of human metapneumovirus among children with acute respiratory infections in kuala lumpur, malaysia. Trop Biomed 2014;31:562-6.
22. Liat HL, Boon HT, Ley MN, Tee NW, Lin RT, Sugrue RJ. Human metapneumovirus in children, Singapore. Emerg Infect Dis 2007;13:1396-8.
23. Qaisy LM, Meqdam MM, Alkhateeb A, Al-Shorman A, Al-Rousan HO, Al-Mogbel MS, et al. Human metapneumovirus in jordan: Prevalence and clinical symptoms in hospitalized pediatric patients and molecular virus characterization. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2012;74:288-91.
24. Mohamed MS, Reiche J, Jacobsen S, Thabit AG, Badary MS, BruneW, et al. Molecular analysis of human metapneumovirus detected in patients with lower respiratory tract infection in upper egypt. Int J Microbiol 2014;2014:290793.
25. Aberle JH, Aberle SW, Redlberger-Fritz M, Sandhofer MJ, Popow- Kraupp T. Human metapneumovirus subgroup changes and seasonality during epidemics. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2010;29:1016-8.
26. Carneiro BM, Yokosawa J, Arbiza J, Costa LF, Mirazo S, Nepomuceno LL, et al. Detection of all four human metapneumovirus subtypes in nasopharyngeal specimens from children with respiratory disease in uberlÃ¢ndia, brazil. J Med Virol 2009;81:1814-8.
27. Dakhil AS. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticle (AgNPs) using Lactobacillus and their effects on oxidative stress biomarkers in rats. J King Saud Univ Sci 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.jksus.2017.05.013.
28. Williams JV, Harris PA, Tollefson SJ, Halburnt-Rush LL, Pingsterhaus JM, Edwards KM, et al. Human metapneumovirus and lower respiratory tract disease in otherwise healthy infants and children. N Engl J Med 2004;350:443-50.
29. Al-saeed MS, Muhsin MA, Al-juburi GJ. Study the role of Toxoplasma gondii, cytomegalovirus and anti-phospholipids antibodies in cases of abortion among women in Hilla city. Al-Qadisiyah Med J 2008;4:27-34.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.