STUDIES ON HEPATOPROTECTIVE AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ACTIVITY OF COIX LACRYMAâ€“JOBI (LINN)
Objective: In the present study, evaluation of hepatoprotective activity of Coix lacryma-jobi by CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity test, and evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of by egg albumin-induced paw edema, and complete Freundâ€™s adjuvant-induced arthritis model were done.
Methods: Plant extract was prepared by mixing ethanol with powdered plant seeds and experiment was done as per the procedures of above-mentioned three models.
Results: C. lacryma-jobi test extracts out of two doses, 400 mg/kg exhibited a significant reduction in serum cholesterol level as 33 mg/dl when compared to control groups. C. lacryma-jobi seed extract has restored various serological alterations following CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity and was capable of reversing the toxic effects of CCl4 on liver cells. Considerable reduction in the paw volume of exudates observed with C. lacryma-jobi extract, indicating significant anti-inflammatory activity.
Conclusion: Therefore, this study shows that C. lacryma-jobs seed extract have anti-inflammatory activity in the models studied.
2. Agyare C, Spiegler V, Sarkodie H, Asase A, Liebau E, Hensel A, et al. An ethnopharmacological survey and in vitro confirmation of the ethnopharmacological use of medicinal plants as anthelmintic remedies in the Ashanti region, in the central part of Ghana. J Ethnopharmacol 2014;158 Pt A:255-63.
3. Chattopadhyay RR. Possible mechanism of hepatoprotective activity of Azadirachta indica leaf extract: Part II. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;89:217 9.
4. Smolen JS, Steiner G. Therapeutic strategies for rheumatoid arthritis. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2003;2:473-88.
5. Levy C, Seeff LD, Lindor KD. Use of herbal supplements for chronic liver disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004;2:947-56.
6. Kuo CC, Chen HH, Chiang W. Adlay (yÃ¬ yÄ; â€œsoft-shelled jobâ€™s tearsâ€; The seeds of Coix lachryma-jobi L. Var. Ma-yuen stapf) is a potential cancer chemopreventive agent toward multistage carcinogenesis processes. J Tradit Complement Med 2012;2:267-75.
7. Wang L, Sun J, Yi Q, Wang X, Ju X. Protective effect of polyphenols extract of adlay (Coix lachryma-jobi L. Var. Ma-yuen stapf) on hypercholesterolemia-induced oxidative stress in rats. Molecules 2012;17:8886-97.
8. Sumalatha S, Padma D, Pai KS, Kotian SR, Kumar N, Bhat KM. Hepatoprotective activity of aqueous extract of Caesalpenia bonduc against CCL4 induced chronic hepatotoxicity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:207-11.
9. Shorinwa OA, Ubele C, Ukwueze SE. Evaluation of the analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of ethanol extract of the root of Mimosa pigra linn (Fabaceae) in albino rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:376 9.
10. Ahmad AS, Chopde CT, Kashmiri ZN. Assessement of anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritis activity of Jatropha gossypifolia in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:258-60
11. Yang RS, Lu YH, Chiang W, Liu SH. Osteoporosis prevention by adlay (yÃ¬ yÇ: The seeds of Coix lachryma-jobi L. Var. Ma-yuen stapf) in a mouse model. J Tradit Complement Med 2013;3:134-8.
12. Feng Y, Siu KY, Ye X, Wang N, Yuen MF, Leung CH, et al. Hepatoprotective effects of berberine on carbon tetrachloride-induced acute hepatotoxicity in rats. Chin Med 2010;5:33.
13. Chen YH, Lan T, Li J, Qiu CH, Wu T, Gou HJ, et al. Gardenia jasminoides attenuates hepatocellular injury and fibrosis in bile duct-ligated rats and human hepatic stellate cells. World J Gastroenterol 2012;18:7158-65.
14. Kamisan FH, Yahya F, Ismail NA, Din SS, Mamat SS, Zabidi Z, et al. Hepatoprotective activity of methanol extract of Melastoma malabathricum leaf in rats. J Acupunct Meridian Stud 2013;6:52-5.
15. Mahmud Z, Bachar S, Qais N. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective activities of ethanolic extracts of leaves of Premna esculenta roxb. Against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage in rats. J Young Pharm 2012;4:228-34.
16. Kang HS, Lee JY, Kim CJ. Anti-inflammatory activity of arctigenin from Forsythiae fructus. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;116:305-12.
17. Mbiantcha M, Almas J, Shabana SU, Nida D, Aisha F. Anti-arthritic property of crude extracts of Piptadeniastrum africanum (Mimosaceae) in complete freundâ€™s adjuvant-induced arthritis in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med 2017;17:111.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.