IN VITRO CYTOTOXICITY ACTIVITY OF HYDROALCOHOLIC EXTRACT OF POLYHERBAL CHURNAM (COFRI) IN NORMAL LIVER AND KIDNEY CELL LINES
Objective: The objective of the study was to investigate the cytotoxic activity of hydroalcoholic extract of a polyherbal powder on Vero (normal kidney) and Chang (normal liver) cell lines.
Methods: The cytotoxic effect was evaluated by 3-(4,5-dimethyl-2-thiazolyl)-2,5-diphenyl-tetrazolium bromide assay. It is commonly used colorimetric assay for assessing cell metabolic activity under specific conditions, indicates the number of viable cells.
Results: According to the experimental results, the hydroalcoholic extract does not cause any toxicity on normal liver and kidney cell lines and LC50 values are ca lculated using LDP line software and found 776.73 μg/ml and 686.58 μg/ml.
Conclusion: The hydroalcoholic extract of polyherbal churnam exhibited cell viability at higher concentrations. The results indicates investigated formulation does not causes any toxicity to the normal liver and kidney cells and found to be safe for human consumption. Further, toxicological and pharmacological evaluation is required to prove its safety and efficacy.
2. Parihar M, Chouhan A, Harsholiya MS, Pathan JK, Banerjee S, Khan N, et al. A review-cough and treatments. Int J Nat Prod Res 2011;1:9-18.
3. Tewari D, Kumar M. Formulation and comparative evolution of different sitopaladi herbal syrups. Pharm Lett 2014;6:178-83.
4. Pattnayak P, Panda S, Dash S, Behera M, Mishra SK. Study of anti-tissuve activity of sitopaladichurna: A polyherbal formulation. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;4:65-7.
5. Otang WM, Grierson DS, Ndip RN. Cytotoxicity of three South African medicinal plants using the chang liver cell line. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2014;11:324-9.
6. Senthilraja P, Kathirasan K. In vitro cytotoxic MTT assay in Vero, HepG2 and MCF-7 cell lines study of marine yeast. J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;5:80-4.
7. Khushboo J, Dhara B, Maltreyl Z. In vitro cytotoxicity activity of some selected ethanomedicinal plants against Vero cell line. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2016;37:130-3.
8. Lohar DR. Protocol for Testing Ayurvedic, Siddha and Unani Medicines. Kohima, Nagaland: Pharmacopoeial Laboratory for Indian Medicine. Ministry of AYUSH; Govt. of India.
9. Patel S, Gheewal N, Suthar A, Shah A. In vitro cytotoxicity activity of Solanum nigrum extract against Hela cell line and Vero cell line. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2009;41:38-46.
10. Sumalatha D, Nithya TG. In vitro antioxidant and anticancer activity of Murraya koenigii against human colon cancer HT-29 cell line. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;7:83-6.
11. Nazeemabanu B, Julie J, Abirami J, Kumaresan R, Muthukumaran T, Rajasree S, et al. Anti-cancer activity of Datura metal on MCF-7 cell line. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:181-3.
12. Saini N, Kamalsingh G. Pharmacological evaluation of a polyherbal formulation for its antispasmodic activity. Int J Green Pharm 2015;9:104-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.