ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF RHIZOME EXTRACTS OF COLEUS FORSKOHLII BRIQ
Objective: The present study was on the analysis of the phytochemical constituents of Coleus forskohlii which was collected from five different areas in Tamil Nadu, where it is grown for commercial purposes.
Methods: C. forskohlii tubers were collected from five areas (Thiruvannamalai, Kanchipuram, Kallakuruchi, Salem, and Vandalur) of Tamil Nadu. Dried tubers were extracted with different solvents such as aqueous, ethanol, and acetone (polar) and petroleum and chloroform (non-polar). Extracts were evaluated for total phenol and flavonoid content and antioxidant activity evaluation by 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) reduction.
Results: The highest DPPH radical scavenging activity (87.6%) was observed in ethanol extract of rhizome collected from Thiruvannamalai area. Total phenol and flavonoid contents were found to be, respectively, 38.82Â±0.22 mg gallic acid equivalents/g and 21.34Â±0.32 quercetin equivalent/g.
Conclusion: The study clearly indicated the antioxidative potential of different extracts of C. forskohlii and this property may be useful in the preparation of drug formulations, health tonics, and cosmetics.
2. Cook NC, Samman S. Flavonoids-chemistry, metabolism, cardio protective effects and dietary sources. J Nutr Biochem 1996;7:66-76.
3. Gaetani G, Ferraris A, Rolfo M, Mangerini R, Arena S, Kirkman H. Predominant role of catalase in the disposal of hydrogen peroxide within human erythrocytes. Blood 1996;87:1595-9.
4. Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Raventos RM. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol 1974;229:152-78.
5. Kessler M, Ubeaud G, Jung L. Anti- and pro-oxidant activity of rutin and quercetin derivatives. J Pharm Pharmacol 2003;55:131-42.
6. George H, Teng CM, Wu CL, Ko FN. Marchantin H as a natural antioxidant and free radical scavenger. Arch Biochem Biophys 1996;334:18-26.
7. Muthu AK, Satheesh D, Dhas AS, Manavalan R. In vitro antioxidant activity of various extracts of whole plant of Mucuna pruriens (Linn). Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:2063-70.
8. Sunitha K, Chary KB, Nimgulkar CC, Kumar BD, Rao DM. Identification, quantification and antioxidant activity of secondary metabolites in leaf and callus extracts of Coleus forskohlii. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2013;4:1139-49.
9. Bajpai VK, Parka YH, Agrawal P. Studies on phytochemical analysis, antioxidant and lipid peroxidation inhibitory effects of a medicinal plant, Coleus forskohlii. Front Life Sci 2015;8:139-47.
10. Pryianka L, Partap S, Verma M, Jha KK. In vitro antioxidant activity of plant extract of Cressa cretica. Der Pharm Lett 2015;7:28-32.
11. Ozcan MM, Ozkan G. Determination of antioxidant activity and total phenol contents of two Salvia extracts. Indian J Tradit Knowledge 2014;14:226-30.
12. Shahidi F. Antioxidants in food and food antioxidants. Nahrung/Food 1992;44:158-63.
13. Veeru P, Kishor MP, Meenakshi G. Screening of medicinal plant extracts for antioxidant activity. J Med Plant Res 2009;3:608-12.
14. Zhain M, Aqil F, Agmad I. The in vitro antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of four Indian medicinal plants. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2009;8 Suppl 1:88-95.
15. Suja S, Mohanasundari L. Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of the mixture of ethanolic extracts of Alpinia speciosa and Alpinia calcarata rhizome. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:164-70.
16. Mahdi-Pour B, Jothy SL, Latha LY, Chen Y, Sasidharan S. Antioxidant activity of methanol extracts of different parts of Lantana camara. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:960-5.
17. Bejeli M, Rowshan V, Zakerin A. Comparision of total phenolic content and antioxidant activity of five Saliva species by FRAP and DPPH assay. Int J Pharrm Pharm Sci 2012;4:572-3.
18. Alimpic A, Oaldje M, Matevski V, Marin PD, Duletic-Lausevic S. Antioxidant activity and total phenolic and flavonoid contents of Salvia amplexicaulis Lam. Extracts. Arch Biol Sci 2014;66:307-16.
19. Sonja D, Ana AA, Danica P, Petar M, Dmitar L. Salvia officinalis of different origins - antioxidant activity, phenolic and flavonoid content of extracts. Agro Food Ind Hi Tech 2016;27:52-5.
20. Shyura LF, Tsunga JH, Chenb JH, Chiua CY, Lo CP. Antioxidant properties of extracts from medicinal plants popularly used in Taiwan. Int J Appl Sci Eng 2005;3:195-202.
21. Mazza G, Oomah BD. Chemistry, pharmacology and clinical applications of St. Johnâ€™s wort and Ginkgo biloba. In: Mazza G, Oomah BD, editors. Herbs, Botanicals and Teas. Lancaster, PA, U.S.A: Technomic Publishing Co. Inc.; 2000. p. 131-76.
22. Bag GC, Devi PG, Bhaigyabati T. Assessment of total flavonoid content and antioxidant activity of methanolic rhizome extract of three Hedychium species of Manipur alley. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2015;30:154-9.
23. Kahkonen MP, Hopia AT, Vuorela HJ, Rauha JP, Pihlaja K, Kujala TS, et al. Antioxidant activity of plant extracts containing phenolic compounds. J Agri Food Chem 1999;47:3954-62.
24. Serafini M, Maiani G, Ferro-Luzzi A. Alcohol-free red wine enhances plasma antioxidant capacity in humans. J Nutr 1998;128:1003-7.
25. Carbonneau MA, Leger CL, Descomps B, Michel F, Monnier F. Improvement in the antioxidant status of plasma and low-density lipoprotein in subjects receiving a red wine phenolics mixture. J Am Oil Chem Soc 1998;75:235-40.
26. Cao G, Booth SL, Sadowski JA Prior RL. Increases in human plasma antioxidant capacity after consumption of controlled diets high in fruit and vegetables. Am J Clin Nutr 1998;68:1081-7.
27. Knekt P, Jarvinen R, Reunanen A, Maatela J. Flavonoid intake and coronary mortality in Finland: A cohort study. Br Med J 1996;312:478 81.
28. Gopalakrishnan B, Bawane AA, Akki KS, Hukkeri VI. Free radical scavenging activity of flavonoid containing leaf extracts of Stevia rebaudiana Bert. Anc Sci Life 2006;25(3-4):44-48.
29. Carolina MA, Silva DA, Paiva SA. Antioxidant activity and flavonoid content of Clusia fluminensis Planch and Triana. An Acad Bras Cienc 2012;84:609-16.
30. Shah NA, Khan MR, Ahmad B, Noureen F, Rashid U, Khan RA. Investigation on flavonoid composition and anti free radical potential of Sida cordata. BMC Complement Altern Med 2013;13:276.
31. Lu Y, Zhong CX, Wang L, Lu C, Li XL, Wang PJ. Antiinflammation activity and chemical composition of flower essential oil from Hedychium coronarium. Afr J Biotechnol 2009;8:5373-7.
32. Ho JC. Antimicrobial, mosquito larvicidal and antioxidant properties of the leaf and rhizome of Hedychium coronarium. J Chin Chem Soc 2011;58:563-7.
33. Sravani T, Paarakh PM. Evaluation of anthelmintic activity of Hedychium spicatum Buch. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2011;2:66-8.
34. Mundhe KS, Kale AA, Gaikwad SA, Deshpande NR, Kashalkar RV. Evaluation of phenol, flavonoid contents and antioxidant activity of Polyalthia longifolia. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3:764-9.
35. Khatiwora E, Adsul VB, Kulkarni MM, Deshpande NR Kashalkar RV. Spectroscopic determination of total phenol and flavonoid contents of Ipomoea carnea. Int J Chem Tech Res 2010;2:1698-701.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.