FLOW INJECTION SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF NARINGENIN IN SUPPLEMENTS USING SOLID-PHASE REACTOR CONTAINING IMMOBILIZED MANGANESE DIOXIDE
Objective: Naringenin (NAR) is a part of the human daily diet, and it plays an important role in human health for its biological functions. This study describes a new, sensitive, simple, and accurate method for determining NAR in supplements.
Methods: The method is based on oxidative coupling reaction between NAR and N, N-dimethyl-p-phenylenediamine in an alkaline medium using manganese dioxide immobilized in cellulose acetate as online oxidant agent to form a colored product which can be monitored at Î» max598 nm.
Results: Several operating parameters such as reactor column length, particles size, chemicals, and physicals reaction conditions were studied. The proposed method was sensitive and good repeatable, the linear range of NAR concentration was from 1 to 70 Î¼g/ml with a limit of detection of 0.292 Î¼g/ml, and recovery range of analysis was 99.55â€“100.48%.
Conclusion: The proposed method was successfully applied for determining NAR in supplements.
2. Al Harbi M. Hepatroprotective effect and antioxidant capacity of naringenin on arsenic-induced liver injury in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:103-8.
3. Al Juhaimi F, Ã–zcan MM, Uslu N, Ghafoor K. The effect of drying temperatures on antioxidant activity, phenolic compounds, fatty acid composition and tocopherol contents in citrus seed and oils. J Food Sci Technol 2018; ???:1-8.
4. Isobe T, Ohkawara S, Ochi S, Tanaka-Kagawa T, Jinno H, Hanioka N. Naringenin glucuronidation in liver and intestine microsomes of humans, monkeys, rats, and mice. Food Chem Toxicol 2018;111:417- 22.
5. LuÃs Ã‚, Duarte AP, Pereira L, Domingues F. Interactions between the major bioactive polyphenols of berries: Effects on antioxidant properties. Eu Food Res Technol 2018;244:175-85.
6. Ab K, Sh J, Sh PP. Effect of naringenin on lipids, lipoproteins and lipid metabolising enzymes in 7,12-Dimethylbenza(A) anthracene-induced mammary carcinogenesis in SD rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:154-8.
7. Arruda HS, Pereira GA, de Morais DR, Eberlin MN, Pastore GM. Determination of free, esterified, glycosylated and insoluble-bound phenolics composition in the edible part of araticum fruit (Annona crassiflora Mart.) and its by-products by HPLC-ESI-MS/MS. Food Chem 2018;245:738-49.
8. Jasicka-Misiak I, Makowicz E, Stanek N. Chromatographic fingerprint, antioxidant activity, and colour characteristic of polish goldenrod (Solidago virgaurea L.) honey and flower. Eur Food Res Technol 2018;2018:1-6.
9. Sus N, Schlienz J, Calvo-Castro LA, Burkard M, Venturelli S, Busch C, Frank J. Validation of a rapid and sensitive reversed-phase liquid chromatographic method for the quantification of prenylated chalcones and flavanones in plasma and urine. NFS J 2018;10:1-9.
10. Kanaze FI, Kokkalou E, Georgarakis M, Niopas I. Validated high-performance liquid chromatographic method utilizing solid-phase extraction for the simultaneous determination of naringenin and hesperetin in human plasma. J Chroma B 2004;801:363-7.
11. Kanaze FI, Kokkalou E, Georgarakis M, Niopas I. A validated solid-phase extraction HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of the citrus flavanone aglycones hesperetin and naringenin in urine. J Pharma Biomed Anal 2004;36:175-81.
12. Huck CW, Stecher G, Ahrer W, StÃ¶ggl WM, Buchberger W, Bonn GK. Analysis of three flavonoids by CE-uV and CE-ESI-MS. Determination of naringenin from a phytomedicine. J Sep Sci 2002;25:903-8.
13. Andrade P, Ferreres F, Gil MI, TomÃ¡s-BarberÃ¡n FA. Determination of phenolic compounds in honeys with different floral origin by capillary zone electrophoresis. Food Chem 1997;60:79-84.
14. Spanakis M, Kasmas S, Niopas I. Simultaneous determination of the flavonoid aglycones diosmetin and hesperetin in human plasma and urine by a validated GC/MS method: In vivo metabolic reduction of diosmetin to hesperetin. Biomed Chroma 2009;23:124-31.
15. Noroozifar M, Khorasani-Motlagh M, Taheri A, Homayoonfard M. Application of manganese(IV) dioxide microcolumn for determination and speciation of nitrite and nitrate using a flow injection analysis-flame atomic absorption spectrometry system. Talanta 2007;71:359-64.
16. Vicentini FC, Suarez WT, Cavalheiro Ã‰T, Fatibello-Filho O. Flow-injection spectrophotometric determination of captopril in pharmaceutical formulations using a new solid-phase reactor containing AgSCN immobilized in a polyurethane resin. Braz J Pharm Sci 2012;48:325-33.
17. CorominasBG,PferzschnerJ,IcardoMC,ZamoraLL,MartÃnezCalatayudJ. In situ generation of co(II) by use of a solid-phase reactor in an FIAassembly for the spectrophotometric determination of penicillamine. J Pharm BiomedAnal 2005;39:281-4.
18. Vakh C, Koronkiewicz S, Kalinowski S, Moskvin L, Bulatov A. An automatic chemiluminescence method based on the multi-pumping flow system coupled with the fluidized reactor and direct-injection detector: Determination of uric acid in saliva samples. Talanta 2017;167:725-32.
19. Zhang ZQ, Tang Y. Solid-phase reactor flow-injection on-line oxidizing spectrofluorimetry for determination and dissolution studies of folic acid. Anal Bioanal Chem 2005;381:932-6.
20. Sastry CS, Suryanarayana MV, Tipirneni AS. Application of p-N,N-dimethylphenylenediamine dihydrochloride for the determination of some diuretics. Talanta 1989;36:491-4.
21. Cordenonsi LM, Sponchiado RM, Garcia CV, Raffin RP, Schapoval EE. Study of flavonoids present in pomelo (Citrus maxima) by DSC, UV-VIS, IR, 1H and 13C NMR and MS. Drug Ana Res 2017;1:31-7.
22. Miller J, Miller JC. Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry. Harlow Prentice Hall: Pearson Education; 2010.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.